Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: any 914 enthusiests who did away with pop up headlight?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
funk
I did away with the pop up lights. I liked how it looked and have heard the easiest way is with 411 or type three headlight? but I want a different solution because I didn't think those fit that well. anyone know of any rectangular lights that have high and low beam?
I know I could probably get away with some sort of fog light but I would like the high and low beam option? so what did you do or have you heard of? thanks
Rand
This topic has been discussed here a lot. I considered modding the headlights on my first 914, but would never do it now. It's part of the character of the car.

Do you really want to hack in something like a fog light? That would only make it look like a dumbass redneck hack, reduce functionality, and reduce the value of a car that should be appreciating. Ok, rant over. smile.gif beer.gif

If I was going to mod them, I would put low profile modern lights in the same popup bucket, but only have them open half way - just enough to expose the smaller lights.
GregAmy
I find it funny that the high-demand mod for 911s is to add pop-up headlights (Kremer look) and yet we want to remove them...
dlkawashima
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Rand
Begs the ask, WHY? Especially the second one. If you don't want a 914, buy something else.

I'm playing a little devil's advocate here because I love customizing. But there's a line that makes sense or not. These cars are now appreciating rapidly, so please think about it before you start stabbing it to death.
SirAndy
Also worth noting, if you delete the popups and use lower mounted lights, that is most likely illegal as there are minimum height requirements for headlights.
shades.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 5 2017, 01:33 PM) *

Begs the ask, WHY? Especially the second one. If you don't want a 914, buy something else.

I'm playing a little devil's advocate here because I love customizing. But there's a line that makes sense or not. These cars are now appreciating rapidly, so please think about it before you start stabbing it to death.

IPB Image
Rand
Love that car. So enjoyed seeing it at WCR in White City a few years back. Who knew dog food would create such success? Great people, really enjoyed them.

If you build yours to that level, I'll forgive the headlight mod. And wipers. smile.gif
Just don't get the wrong ticket from the wrong cop, or you'll be grounded until you put things back.
N_Jay
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 5 2017, 02:17 PM) *

If I was going to mod them, I would put low profile modern lights in the same popup bucket, but only have them open half way - just enough to expose the smaller lights.

That would be a slick mod. A couple of small projector lights for High and Low would take us less height and look 100% stock when closed.

76-914
How about Mike Belis' Frankenstein. That's another example. Sorry, I don't have a pic.
dlkawashima
Click to view attachment
funk
More pictures please.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(funk @ Apr 5 2017, 03:03 PM) *

I did away with the pop up lights. I liked how it looked and have heard the easiest way is with 411 or type three headlight? but I want a different solution because I didn't think those fit that well. anyone know of any rectangular lights that have high and low beam?
I know I could probably get away with some sort of fog light but I would like the high and low beam option? so what did you do or have you heard of? thanks

I'm actually doing this right now.
Amazon had em for some 110 bux with all the relays and pigtails. Mpstein is the man when it comes to this pop up delete and he used the same ones I just purchesed. Gotta do quite a bit of massaging to make em work, but I like the set up alot and it chucks off a buncha weight!
Click to view attachment
My 914
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Apr 5 2017, 04:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Although I like both of the alternatives to pop up lights mentioned here, I like this one the most. Its a sleek/stealth look that goes very well with the rest of the car.
Rocky
QUOTE(My 914 @ Apr 5 2017, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Apr 5 2017, 04:53 PM) *

IPB Image

Although I like both of the alternatives to pop up lights mentioned here, I like this one the most. Its a sleek/stealth look that goes very well with the rest of the car.

Is the rear chopped or is it just the angle of the pic?
SO.O.C914er
Yeah I was thinking the same thing it definitely looks chopped in the back? agree.gif
Rand
The only thing chopped is the roof. But yes, good eye. There's a thread around here somewhere with more deets and pics.
My 914
I like the chopped roof a lot. Improves the lines of the car tremendously, especially with the flares.
Rand
Here's another angle. At WCR 2011 in Medford / White City.

Click to view attachment
boxstr
This is the before, and includes the after. I stripped it down to bare metal, no rust and no bondo. It was a 2.4 six conversion. The car was then sold to Mike Toby, and he stripped it of just about everything, installed a 3.2 6 cylinder and converted into Blackula. The car then was purchased from Mike by Ken Garchow who took the car up another level, it then went Canepas, and now Bruce Leven.
Craig at CAMP
Rocky
Nice job Craig! That's a bitchen look for sure!
boxstr
The car went to Canepas, and was sold to Bruce Levin, who is up there in your neck of the woods Rocky.
Craig at CAMP
dlkawashima
A lot of info for pop-up headlight delete options in this thread:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=213472
mlindner
Pop-up delete. Just added driving lights up front. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
AZBanks
I've been working on something similar on my 944 Cab.
The burgundy car was my inspiration and the white one is my work in progress.
AZBanks
Here is s shot with a better view of what I am doing.
I have thought of making this a kit for the 944. I could build up something similar for the 914.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
I can tell you that if you put driving lights or headlights on your bumper, you _will_ need to treat them like high beams.

I had so many people flash me for using my driving lights. The low placed lights reflect up off the road and blind oncoming traffic. These days I treat them just like high beams and don't use them if there opposing traffic.

If your head lights are low on the bumper, and you don't have any higher placed lighting options, you are going to piss off traffic and eventually get noticed by the police. Your state may have ways around this (if you are registered as a hot rod or kit car or something). YMMV.

Zach
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 5 2017, 11:22 AM) *

I find it funny that the high-demand mod for 911s is to add pop-up headlights (Kremer look) and yet we want to remove them...

Not anymore on the 911's, that was back in the 80's slant nose look.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 6 2017, 05:44 AM) *

I say hack away on the 944's & 968's they aren't worth squat!!
jmitro
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Apr 6 2017, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 5 2017, 03:33 PM) *
These cars are now appreciating rapidly, so please think about it before you start stabbing it to death.

kinda off topic, but I'd argue the 968 IS or WILL BE worth squat; the 914 is so plentiful that it really doesn't matter if a few are hacked up.

I personally don't like modifying a car away from its original appearance (other than maybe a factory special edition) but I say....hack away on ANY car - it's YOUR car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(My 914 @ Apr 5 2017, 07:03 PM) *
I like the chopped roof a lot. Improves the lines of the car tremendously, especially with the flares.

If you're over 6' you may want to reconsider doing that. I've sat in that car and at 6,2 i was practically hitting the roof with meiner Birne ...
shades.gif
AZBanks
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Apr 6 2017, 07:23 AM) *

They are starting to appreciate in value. Not as fast as 911's and 914's but prices are going up.
RJMII
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2017, 01:39 PM) *

Also worth noting, if you delete the popups and use lower mounted lights, that is most likely illegal as there are minimum height requirements for headlights.
shades.gif

4wd and 12 inches of lift should remedy that...
mgp4591
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 6 2017, 07:50 AM) *

I have thought of making this a kit for the 944. I could build up something similar for the 914.

The light looks pretty compact - where did you find them?
Front yard mechanic
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Apr 6 2017, 06:23 AM) *

When was the last time you priced a nice 968! Try 20,000 and some change
rnellums
I drove for 3-4 years with driving lights mounted in the fog location. Visibility was terrible with the lights mounted so low. Just went back to pop ups last year (LEDs) and couldn't be happier.
AZBanks
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 7 2017, 08:27 PM) *

QUOTE(AZBanks @ Apr 6 2017, 07:50 AM) *

The light looks pretty compact - where did you find them?

They were put together from two kits I picked up on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1-H3-H4-H7-H11-Xe...=item3f3699e08d

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271497426147?item=...123&vxp=mtr

I mounted the lights on aluminum brackets I made and mounted the brackets to steel supports I built.

The most challenging part was figuring out the wiring. The Projector headlights switch from low to high beam through the use of a little metal plate that blocks part of the light beam to create the low beam pattern. Voltage is passed to a switch that causes the plate to move out of the way for the high beam pattern. That circuit is completely independent of the circuit for the light beam itself. The entire operation and circuit structure is completely different than the operation and circuit structure of the factory lights. On the 944, the high and low beam circuits are completely separate. When the high beam circuit turns on, the low beam circuit turns off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.