Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 engine test stand drawings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
My engine is still in various states of the rebuild. I was wondering if anyone else had some drawings that they would be willing to share so I can build a test stand while I am waiting for the case to come back from the machine shop.
GeorgeRud
I have an engine stand ring adapter and an extra 914 transmission sitting in Fontana if that would be helpful for you. They're just taking up space in my garage right now.

George
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 11 2017, 07:35 PM) *

I have an engine stand ring adapter and an extra 914 transmission sitting in Fontana if that would be helpful for you. They're just taking up space in my garage right now.

George

George for running the engine or just for tearing an engine down? I want to make one for running the engine
GeorgeRud
No, it's just the engine tear down ring. You probably need something more, but I didn't know if the transmission would give you something to mount the engine (and a starter) and provide attachment points for a run stand.
Mark Henry
I don't think there's any plans out there just shop/home built examples.
Fair bit of work you'll need a tank, tach, gauges electrical fuel tank and pump. You can use a cut off trans bell housing and go from there.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...test-stand.html

mb911
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 12 2017, 06:34 AM) *

I don't think there's any plans out there just shop/home built examples.
Fair bit of work you'll need a tank, tach, gauges electrical fuel tank and pump. You can use a cut off trans bell housing and go from there.

Thanks that does help with a few ideas. Looks like I will have to wait until I get the engine back together to make it. This will be a bit. Talked to Henry at supertec the other day. probably another month for case and then reassembly on my end could be mid summer before it runs..

I want it so I can doa basic setting of the carbs and do any tweaks then do some quick DB tests on some muffler designs before the car is ready
gms
I would use a 911 engine cradle to mount the front of the engine
I would make the mount work with a 901 transmission attached
There are ignition panels at Pegasus racing for starting and switching fuel pump and ignition
I would use a round Peterson Dry Sump Oil Tanks because they are cheap

I think I have an extra 911 engine cradle if you are in need
gms
I probably have a spare empty 901 case as well
IronHillRestorations
I made one with a transmission case and a spare gauge panel and a mount for the oil tank. No plans though, just fab'd to fit.
mb911
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Apr 12 2017, 11:25 AM) *

I made one with a transmission case and a spare gauge panel and a mount for the oil tank. No plans though, just fab'd to fit.

I would have done that for sure had the engine been here but currently the case is in southern California..

Glenn probably just use my own oil tank that I make biggrin.gif

I have a 901 ..

So part of the secret is that I plan to build my proto type 2 in 1 muffler based 100% off the original muffler internals with a spite twist on the exterior and need the test stand to use my heat exchangers etc..

mepstein
Our test stand is at another shop. I'll try to get a pic soon.
VaccaRabite
They are easy to make. Put it on casters, low to the ground and with a cut out for the jack and it will double as an engine install and removal dolly. Here is how I did mine:

IPB Image

The engine and transmission and exhaust are all on, and the entire package can just be lifted into the car. Easy as pie. The control console is a separate stand.

Zach
Mark Henry
Can be done like Zack says, but a little more to it for a /6.

Why not just put it in the car? confused24.gif
With a big enough firewall cutout it's fairly easy to work on the timing and carbs.
mepstein
I think for what Ben does - building heat exchangers, exhaust, etc., it makes sense to build a real stand that he can install and remove his heat exchangers easily, instead of working on the floor or under the car.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2017, 10:51 AM) *

I think for what Ben does - building heat exchangers, exhaust, etc., it makes sense to build a real stand that he can install and remove his heat exchangers easily, instead of working on the floor or under the car.

I would imagine for that he'd have a dummy block upside down on a stand, that's how I've made headers for several 356 kit cars with T4 engines.
I took it this was purely for engine test run/break in duties.
mepstein
"So part of the secret is that I plan to build my proto type 2 in 1 muffler based 100% off the original muffler internals with a spite twist on the exterior and need the test stand to use my heat exchangers etc.. "
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2017, 11:14 AM) *

"So part of the secret is that I plan to build my proto type 2 in 1 muffler based 100% off the original muffler internals with a spite twist on the exterior and need the test stand to use my heat exchangers etc.. "

So is this for a /4 or /6? confused24.gif
For a four I can take a couple pic's on my test run stand.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 13 2017, 11:34 AM) *

6 - he's doing a conversion car.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 13 2017, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 13 2017, 11:34 AM) *

6 - he's doing a conversion car.

Correct the car is not even close to being ready and I can very easily build one once the engine pieces are back from various places on the globe but wanted to build something ahead of time.

When I do headers etc I had my dummy block for that but that has turned into my engine build ( I have real fixtures now) so I am out of luck on that but again the point is to be able to do some real testing and running while I finish up the car probably over the next 2 years and I need to be able to test the muffler here before I offer it as a new product. I can't depend on others for feedback if I don't have a baseline to go from on my end.

So you ask what do I really need to know for dimensions. What would be particularly helpful would be from the original six engine mount (engine side) to the transmission mounting ears. if I had that true dimension I could build whatever I want from there..

mepstein
Here's ours
bahnzai
Several good idea over on the bird site, search on the 911 Engine building forum

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-...st-out-car.html

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bahnzai
Click to view attachment
mb911
Thanks everyone it does help..

What I really need is the engine mount to even the trans to engine dimensions as I could then figure everything else out.
IronHillRestorations
I pulled the one I made ten years ago out and took a couple picsClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
the bracket on the side is for a 6 oil tank
djway
I was poking around the interweb last night and found this

http://zalexindustries.com/index.html

You mount to any V8 style two leg motor stand any you can mount your air cooled of choice with the right options
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.