Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J123young
So above the oil filter I have a leak. I'm guessing it's the oil cooler. But I can't see anything...can this be fixed without pulling the motor?
If I have to pull the motor, how big a job is it and what else should I replace while its out?

It's a 74' 1.8
McMark
Changing oil cooler seals can be done in the car, but if you haven't practiced pulling the whole motor, you should do that. It makes the job much easier and gives you better access to make sure the job is done right. And once you've done it a few times removing the engine and transmission is easy.

Use this removal guide.

Also, it could be a leak from the oil pressure switch, or from the oil filler/breather box. Reseal those as well.

And if you really want a dry engine, reseal the front crank, oil pump, etc. biggrin.gif
saigon71
Yes, check the oil pressure sender first.

I replaced my oil cooler seals with the engine in the car. It's a little tight, but not a bad job.

If you verify that its the oil cooler seals causinv the leak, I'd replace them without pulling the engine.

Use an open-ended wrench to hold the seals in place while starting the bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.