Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How important is numbers matching?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McLovin
Hey all,

Just wondering how important a numbers matching car is vs. a non-matching car.

Like how important would it be for a 914-6? If the engine doesn't match, but it's otherwise the correct engine, would it be valued the same or would you expect a discount as a buyer? How much of a premium or discount?

Is there a difference in value between a car with a numbers matching 1.8L engine, or a car that's supposed to have a 1.8L, but someone has swapped in a 2.0L? All things being equal, which car is more desirable?

Thanks,
mepstein
Numbers matching, date matching wheels, steering wheel, etc - not important to me but the industry will often value a numbers matching car 10-20% higher than non matching.
356's used to be numbered on most every body panel, more recent cars are really just lengine and trans.

Larmo63
Yes, on a 914-6, matching numbers is really important. On a common /4, not so much as of today. In the future though, I think that numbers matching fours will become more valuable.

So many of these cars are being upgraded now to sixes and Subi power, that an original numbers matching car, like say a 1973 2.0 appearance group model, may well go way up in value.
falcor75
I dont know how others reason but to me matching numbers would only be a benefit if the rest of the car is in really good condition. If the car has rust issues, small or large, accident repairs, been modified etc...then numbers matching doesnt matter.

If the car is unmolested and very nice, then matching numbers is an added bonus.
Rand
Simple answer: If you don't know if it matters, then it doesn't matter for you.
It doesn't matter for me, I'm not in that league, nor do I want to be. I don't see you building a show car, so just fix up what you'll drive and drive it.
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 16 2017, 11:01 AM) *

Yes, on a 914-6, matching numbers is really important. On a common /4, not so much as of today. In the future though, I think that numbers matching fours will become more valuable.

So many of these cars are being upgraded now to sixes and Subi power, that an original numbers matching car, like say a 1973 2.0 appearance group model, may well go way up in value.

agree.gif

I have a 1970 SS 454 El Camino that has a crate motor and OD trans which on one hand makes it far better then factory, but l would take at least a $10,000 hit because its not a numbers matching car.
Elliot Cannon
About the only thing that matches on my car are the seats! biggrin.gif
somd914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 16 2017, 02:01 PM) *

agree.gif However, I'm yet to figure out why I can replace everything inside and out of the engine but as long as the case remains it is considered "original". And conversely if everything is original except for the case, well, it's not original. Doesn't make much sense to me...
Unobtanium-inc
Right now for your average 4 no, 6 yes, only because they are now sought after by collectors. I get lots of call these days from guys wanting their first Porsche, "But it must be investment grade!" This is really what they say. I'm not entirely sure what that means, I think I know enough to roll my eyes. But those are the guys pushing the market up so they can't be ignored. So given comparable cars as either a driver or a project the matching numbers one will always sell faster and probably for 20-25% more. As time goes on these "collectors" will be buying up 4's too, so expect to start getting investment grade questions if you are selling your car in the next few years.
pete000
Unfortunately many original six blocks ended up in dumpsters due to major failures to the magnesium case. Mine took a big bang during hard racing back in the 80's. I am sure it is probably deep under ground in a land fill somewhere in northern California. It would have been nice to have the matching number case half as a memento though.

JeffBowlsby
Some of us need a paradigm shift on todays reality on 914/4 cars.

When the best examples of 914/4s are commanding prices of $40K...they are already in that collector realm. The price escalation trend began many years ago.

They are only original once. Those who beat on these cars and make irreversible personalizations, only depreciate the value of their own cars generally down, while at the same time driving the values of original cars generally up. Notice I said 'generally' because there are exceptions...but that is the trend.

PS That word 'original' means different things to different people. Notice how some sellers and braggerts go out of their way to label their car 'original' when its clearly not? Original must mean something to some people.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.