Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solved my garage space issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Root_Werks
Learned a similar lesson. Had a shop with 6 bays. Cluttered a few with my cars, rented a few. Had 2 RV spots outside, only ever rented one of those for a while.

Tried hard to make a shared tool, tinker on your car sort of thing. It was okay, but it was NOT a money maker.

We sold the building last year and bought a duplex. The duplex makes money.

Thought about investing in the Self Storage buildings. Problem is you have to have so many rented to turn a profit. Rent per sqft is low compared to living space.
930cabman
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Dec 26 2021, 06:14 PM) *

Learned a similar lesson. Had a shop with 6 bays. Cluttered a few with my cars, rented a few. Had 2 RV spots outside, only ever rented one of those for a while.

Tried hard to make a shared tool, tinker on your car sort of thing. It was okay, but it was NOT a money maker.

We sold the building last year and bought a duplex. The duplex makes money.

Thought about investing in the Self Storage buildings. Problem is you have to have so many rented to turn a profit. Rent per sqft is low compared to living space.

Agreed. We have a 6,000 sq/ft brick building in Buffalo, NY and have considered some sort of auto storage/ self repair shop but I cannot forecast a profit. Still up in the air, currently we are using the space as a wood shop, but under utilized.
AZBanks
It took me more than a week to post details because the housing market in Phoenix is crazy andthe first buyer for my house fell out 2 days before closing.

All that is behind me because I closed on my new house this afternoon. It is on a little over an acre and a 2400 sq/ft shop with all the toys/tools will be built on-site.
Cairo94507
Wow! 2400 sq. ft. shop drooley.gif
FL000
Alright, now you have my attention. Let’s see some pics popcorn[1].gif

Oh yeah, and congrats! beerchug.gif

I have a modest ~900 sq ft workshop that I love, and can only imagine what 2400 sq ft would be like.
AZBanks
Here is the listing.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-...87_M20596-51823

I have a crew at the house this minute tearing out the tile. We are putting in laminate flooring throughout the whole place. The red and blue walls are being replaced. Some will be the same light grey as the rest of the house and some will be dark grey.

Here is the rough diagram I drew up for the shop. I am open to suggestions for design changes. The yellow lines are lights and what looks like a room in the lower right will have a loft/man cave area above it.

Click to view attachment
AZBanks
Here is my current idea for the location on the property. The red border is the required set-backs. The blue rectangle is the 45 shipping container. It will go in the corner of the lot until I get the shop built and then it will go along side the shop. I am thinking of moving it to the other side of the shop from where I have it on this diagram. The grey areas are rough ideas of where driveways will go. I have two gates. One on the south side of the fence where the long driveway is and another on the east side fence where the short rectangle drive is located.

Click to view attachment
Van B
Epic! I tell my wife that when I’m done with the AF and we finally get to settle down, she can have whatever house she wants… as long as I get equal square footage in shop space lol!
bkrantz
Nice!

I started out with a 1600 sq ft house and 1000 sq ft garage. Over the years, the houses got bigger (and then a bit smaller) but the garage always stayed about the same. I should have insisted on a square foot ratio deal.
racerbvd
Ok, back in 2005, a buddy and I rented 5000sf in the instustrial park where my office and storage have been since the 80s, I got that space for 1,800 a month.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
A few years earlier a couple of friends were going to buy a building in the park to do Club House car storage, ect, one being in the insurance business, other a banker. Sadly, one got offered a job that Payed much more in another state so that killed that plan. The shared space worked well for a while, but some of the people h e hir3d for his other business, well, things started disappearing.
Next, I built a shop at home, the largest I could build was a 30x40.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
As others have pointed out, that really isn't a lot of space for multiple hobbies. So in 2018, I decided to look for a piece of property, out of the way, where I could store all my car trailers, since I pay to have my 3 enclosed trailers stored, then a few mini warehouses, that I have been in since the late 80s, early 90s. Well the beginning of 2019, I found a perfect property, about 30 minutes from me, 10 acres, secluded, well off the beaten path and had a steel building already.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Price was $135k, but instead going straight to my bank, I figured I would sell one of the 911s so I could keep the cost to what I currently spend, bad move, the property sold a day lat e r headbang.gif headbang.gif
bandjoey
...and HotShoe laughed with his 10,000 sq ft barn. smile.gif
AZBanks
The house is 2111 sq/ft and the shop will be 2400 sq/ft. plus 420 of loft space.
Jett
Nice setup, 2400 sqft dedicated is big.
r_towle
I bought a 5k sq ft barn, it happened to come with a 2500 sq ft house, which my wife uses.
Van B
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2022, 09:08 PM) *

I bought a 5k sq ft barn, it happened to come with a 2500 sq ft house, which my wife uses.

Lol!

Gotta love when a shop space comes with extras beerchug.gif
AZBanks
I have to get the house the way my wife wants it before I start on the shop(which will be the way I want it) The crew got the tile out in two days. I just finished pulling the carpet about an hour ago. Removing tack strip SUCKS!!!!!
I still have some baseboards to pull and then I can start installing the laminate floors.
I did some of the prep work for installing the epoxy coating on the garage floor. There are four spots that still give off a little oily residue even after I've brushed with heavy duty degeaser 4 times.
Justinp71
drooley.gif I've been making 450 sq ft of space work for over 10 years now. I would love to have more. Learning how to move out anything I don't absolutely need in the shop. Would love to get more space but its so expensive in ca dry.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.