Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Tie Rods installed, but...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
I installed the turbo tie rod kit.
I used the thick washers that came with the kit.

With the tie rod ends cranked all the way in on both sides, I still have visible toe in on both wheels. I thought I'd read that the washers are needed to ensure enough tire rod end thread engagement.

NOTE: I have 911 Boge struts

Should I have left the washers out?

I can't imagine what else it could be but I'd like confirmation from you experienced folks that I do, indeed, need to remove the washers.

Oh, the joys of learning...headbang.gif

Thanks,
Chris
914_teener
You need to align the front end after installing the kit.

The tie rods have a longer threaded shank and the washers are used to bottom against the rack since it is in compression once you thread the tie rod tight.

You should align the front end after installing the kit anyways.

There is a thread about how to do it yourself if you want to save 400 to 500 bucks.

Taint hard.
914_teener
....Leave them in and align your front end= short answer.
914_teener
Oh....jeez....re-read post. Make sure you have the right tie rod ends... confused24.gif beer3.gif
tygaboy
I spoke with a few folks and it seems the need for the washers is: "it depends".
With the mix of parts and my car, I clearly have plenty of thread engagement on the tie rod ends so... out come the washers.

I'll post more if I learn anything more that others may find valuable.
mgphoto
Did you install the washers with the chamfered side toward the tie rod not the steering rack?

Mike
JFJ914
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 17 2017, 07:08 PM) *

I installed the turbo tie rod kit.
I used the thick washers that came with the kit.

With the tie rod ends cranked all the way in on both sides, I still have visible toe in on both wheels. I thought I'd read that the washers are needed to ensure enough tire rod end thread engagement. Is this toe out with the car on the ground or on the jackstands? Crazy toe is expected with the car off the ground.

NOTE: I have 911 Boge struts

Should I have left the washers out? No, they are the steering stops.

I can't imagine what else it could be but I'd like confirmation from you experienced folks that I do, indeed, need to remove the washers.

Oh, the joys of learning...headbang.gif

Thanks,
Chris

McMark
The washers are steering stops, but generally speaking on most 914s, the tires will hit the body before the steering rack is in danger of being overextended. There are loads of 914s running without them.

For the best of both worlds, get the cupped setup from Elephant Racing.
http://elephantracing.com/suspension/tirerub/914tirerub.htm

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.