Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alloy brake caliper question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Please see the attached photo below - When ordering pads, I just want to make sure that I'm supposed to order pads for "'S' Caliper, 911 (1974-77), 911 Turbo (1976-77)" - Sounds right, right? blink.gif

Pad recommendations for an aggressive driver/auto-x'er?

Thanks!
Aaron Cox
those appear to be s calipers......
Joe Bob
I have been using Ferodo and Porterfields....GPR has good pricing.
Eric_Shea
Yes. Order "S" specific pads for those. They are thicker. Ferodo if it's a "driver" as well.
RoadGlue
Great! "S" pads it is then.

Thanks you!
mightyohm
Randy, That caliper looks familiar. I just rebuilt mine. Both calipers were leaking. I put in a new ATE seal kit, new SS pistons, and new hard lines connecting the sides (had to cut one to get it off, they were stuck good). If you decide to take them apart and rebuild them (good idea) think about flipping them on the car - putting the left caliper on the right and vice versa. You have to reverse the positions of the hard lines to keep the bleeders on top. If you take them apart you will notice that they show asymetrical wear in the bores, and I have read it is a good idea to flip them to try and wear them evenly to prolong their life. I used PBR metal master pads. They work good.
RoadGlue
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ May 8 2005, 11:23 AM)
If you decide to take them apart and rebuild them (good idea) think about flipping them on the car - putting the left caliper on the right and vice versa.  You have to reverse the positions of the hard lines to keep the bleeders on top.  If you take them apart you will notice that they show asymetrical wear in the bores, and I have read it is a good idea to flip them to try and wear them evenly to prolong their life.  I used PBR metal master pads.  They work good.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to run them as-is for the summer (unless they leak!), and will plan a full rebuild and side-swap come next winter. Where did you buy the rebuild kits and SS pistons from?

Best,
Eric_Shea
I use Stomski pistons. I can get them for you. I was going to chime in anyway... if you do tear them down, don't be suprised if the pistons are shot. They are plated and most of the one's I've seen rust where they sit on the seal. Example:

Eric_Shea
$198 for these...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.