Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford Solenoid Hot Start installation instructions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
gothspeed
Nice and functional, i have too many stories on not being able to start my old LE back in the day. This solenoid took the worry out. Thank you for the great write up. I have to do this when i get the engine back in beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
This drawing is mine from back in the early days of the 914world, then part of the club.

IPB Image
Mueller
Mark,

Would you recommend this setup for the Hi Torque mini-starters?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 3 2018, 12:05 PM) *

Mark,

I actually did this on my Hi-torque about a year ago. The end of hot start problems and so easy even an old coot like me pulled it off.
Mueller
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jan 3 2018, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 3 2018, 12:05 PM) *

Mark,

I actually did this on my Hi-torque about a year ago. The end of hot start problems and so easy even an old coot like me pulled it off.

Thanks, slowly gathering parts for the engine swap!
jkb944t
Very nice write-up and I will add it to my to do list this winter. Thanks for all the effort.

Jeff B
StratPlayer
My car has this mod.
76-914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2017, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 24 2017, 09:14 AM) *

Great write up- Admins, please add this to the Classics
One question: how is the Ford solenoid different from using a 50 amp relay. Many hot-start kits and threads in The Garage use the smaller relay. Just curious as to the pros and cons... smile.gif

I don't want an argument as to which is better but this is my logic:

1/ I've been doing this forever, not about to change. Before me guy's like Gene Berg have been doing it since the 60's, so this has been a mod done for over 50 years.

2/ The Ford solenoid is waterproof, at least damn water resistant, the SPST relay is not at all. So you must mount the bosch horn relay in the engine bay, run wires through the grommet, tap into a power source, use a fuse, drill a mounting hole and cut the factory wire or at least make an extension/adaptor.

3/ the SPST relay may be 30-50amp which should be enough on paper, but it still has very small contacts. The Ford solenoid must be rated for at least 500 cranking amps, likely much more.

4/ I've personally only had one failure, one that was so badly corroded after 8 winters that the bracket/bottom rusted right off at the rivets and the solenoid literally spilled it's guts in my hand when I took it off.
I've replaced several perfectly good looking SPST relays with a ford unit.

Technically I guess you can say I've had two failures, as a rookie I bent the mount by reefing on the plastic housing and broke one. That's why I instruct you to only bend the mount using two pliers, experience.

5/ The solenoid is fastened to the transmission starter bolt, not the body, so there's almost no vibration strain on the wires.

6/Unless you run across a concours weenie who likes to crawl under cars, just to be an ass pointing out everything that is not factory on a person's 914, you're the only person that will ever know.

7/ When I turn the key the first thing I like to hear is a spinning starter.

8/ I'll think of more reasons, hold my beer.

9/ KISS, this is such a simple fix.

If any of you guys who can't stand the thought of a Ford part on a Porsche, but have a Rennshifter, well you better toss that puppy in the trash.
Jwest now makes all his parts, but the early versions were a modified Ford Mustang shifter. The basic design has not changed.
So send that puppy to me and I'll dispose of it properly, I hate them so much I'll even pay you the shipping. biggrin.gif

You touched on this #2 but I'd like to add that the Ford relay was designed to operate in the engine compartment which becomes quite hot at times. Also, installed next to the old batteries that emitted some pretty corrosive vapors.
76-914
QUOTE(11tenths @ Jul 5 2017, 11:27 AM) *

I bet the Cap'n would approve, but Slits would still bitch about something...

I miss them a lot, but your posts go a long way towards filling the gap they left.

Nice job beerchug.gif

Cheers- Harry

Actually you've got that bass ackwards, Slits was a proponent and offered the Ford relays to us for $6; or less if he liked you. IIRC, Cap't Crusty was in the camp of those who oppose it. One thing is for sure; the opposing Camp's numbers have dwindled in the past couple of years. beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 3 2018, 11:24 AM) *

QUOTE(11tenths @ Jul 5 2017, 11:27 AM) *

I bet the Cap'n would approve, but Slits would still bitch about something...

I miss them a lot, but your posts go a long way towards filling the gap they left.

Nice job beerchug.gif

Cheers- Harry

Actually you've got that bass ackwards, Slits was a proponent and offered the Ford relays to us for $6; or less if he liked you. IIRC, Cap't Crusty was in the camp of those who oppose it. One thing is for sure; the opposing Camp's numbers have dwindled in the past couple of years. beerchug.gif

I confess to having been in the last camp, and now a dwindler. I used to think it was dumb because, after all, the switch is NOT a high current circuit and the real relay is the starter solenoid! The real current happens at the starter solenoid where the big juice comes straight from a big cable to the battery. Some people seem to have the misunderstanding that all the current that cranks the engine runs through the starter switch. Which is pure ignorance.

After all that, I have to say while I don't think it's a necessary upgrade I have learned to respect it. A little less current going through the ignition switch is a good thing.

Mark's thread is a great contribution here.
Mark Henry
Just food for thought, or should I say math smile.gif

Vdrop = IR, basic voltage drop law.

12v at 8 amps on a 12 foot run with 22awg wire will see a voltage drop of 25.83%.
That 12v is down to 8.9v, border line for kicking the Bosch solenoid.
That's not counting the resistance of the connectors, fuse box, switch, age, heat, etc.

I don't know the actual length of the run or if that's the correct size wire, etc., etc.....but its a good enough example to show that a DC circuit has substantial losses even when new.

note same calculation with 20awg wire loss is 16.25%
I'd say obviously heat is a major contributor as this is more than often a "hot start issue".
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 3 2018, 04:34 PM) *

Just food for thought, or should I say math smile.gif

Vdrop = IR
12v at 8 amps on a 12 foot run with 22awg wire will see a voltage drop of 25.83%.
That 12v is down to 8.9v, border line for kicking the Bosch solenoid.
That's not counting the resistance of the connectors, fuse box, switch, age, heat, etc.

I don't know the actual length of the run or if that's the correct size wire, etc., etc.....but its a good enough example to show that a DC circuit has substantial losses even when new.

All I know is this-
I'm v-8 converted and I use a hi torque starter.
My battery is mounted in the forward trunk with quite a long cable shot.
During summer I often would get the dreaded hot start no start problem.
After this mod, the problem was completely solved and I have never had a hot start no start again.
Whatever the fun arguments for and opposed are, I'm here to say this mod flat out works and I don't give a damn why, lol!
Lucky9146
Just an FYI

That I was about to order the Standard SS-588 on Amazon for $34.26 with free ship and then decided to google Standard Ignition SS-588 and a bunch of places came up with lesser prices.

Ordered from Walmart.com with free store pick up $21.40 and $1.66 Tax for a total l $23.06
Good deal and easy pick up. They would also ship to the house for about $5 still less than Amazon. beerchug.gif
white914.jpg
HalfMoon
So I've run across a (self created) problem and I wonder if Mark might chime in for a solution?

Previously I had wired in a Ford relay on my sbc converted 914 with a standard alternator per Mark's diagram (an-noted below) as I had been experiencing the well known "hot start" problem.
The fix worked great!
Then I decided to add a track "kill switch" mounted where track workers can get to it in an emergency and therein lies my problem.
When I wire it up per the manufacturer's directions (my diagram below), it works great with one exception...my hot start problem has returned.
Anyone got any idea's?

Marks diagram (an-noted) with no kill switch. Hot start problem solved.
Click to view attachment

My diagram including addition of a kill switch. Hot start problem returns
Click to view attachment

StarBear
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2017, 08:54 AM) *

This is real simple to make and crimpers should be a tool in every car guys tool kit, but if if you really think there's a demand for this I could offer a complete plug and play wiring kit for something like $30 shipped USA and Canada.

If I were to offer a kit I'd look into using better strain relief connectors.
You would still have to buy a solenoid and do the mount mod.

Mark - Awesome thread and photos! I'm FINALLY getting around to doing this mod. Have you thought/decided about such a kit? would be interested. Otherwise, would merely wire-brushing the connections/connectors be sufficient for a car that otherwise is running/starting just fine? Thanks.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jan 25 2018, 07:42 PM) *

So I've run across a (self created) problem and I wonder if Mark might chime in for a solution?

Previously I had wired in a Ford relay on my sbc converted 914 with a standard alternator per Mark's diagram (an-noted below) as I had been experiencing the well known "hot start" problem.
The fix worked great!
Then I decided to add a track "kill switch" mounted where track workers can get to it in an emergency and therein lies my problem.
When I wire it up per the manufacturer's directions (my diagram below), it works great with one exception...my hot start problem has returned.
Anyone got any idea's?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Right away I can see the battery wired wrong, battery + goes to the starter big post, in your configuration the alternator + wire also goes to the starter big post.

Kill switch shouldn't be wired into the starter, unless it's a battery disconnect, then it should be wired inline on the big battery cable. This needs to have no other wires between the battery + post and the disconnect in. All factory + wires should be after the disconnect out.

Only exception to above is some will run a seperate wire before the disconnect (direct to + post) for the radio clock.
Mark Henry
This is how my '67 bug is wired.
Also note the metal bracket on the ford solenoid must be grounded.

North Coast Jim
Mark I had this "start problem" and found your thread on adding the Ford solenoid. Since adding this option this spring car starts on every try. Thanks for help.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 4 2018, 12:24 PM) *

The fix worked great!
Anyone got any idea's?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Right away I can see the battery wired wrong, battery + goes to the starter big post, in your configuration the alternator + wire also goes to the starter big post.

Kill switch shouldn't be wired into the starter, unless it's a battery disconnect, then it should be wired inline on the big battery cable. This needs to have no other wires between the battery + post and the disconnect in. All factory + wires should be after the disconnect out.

Only exception to above is some will run a seperate wire before the disconnect (direct to + post) for the radio clock.

Thanks for the reply-
Unfortunately, when I ran it with the Alt wire to the to the starter solenoid the kill switch failed to work and would not cut off the running car as it should. The only way I was able to make it work was to connect the Alt. wire to the switched side of the kill switch but then the hot start problem reappeared (either that or a new problem).
Mark Henry
You either still have something wired wrong or you damaged something from incorrect wiring. It doesn't matter if the alternator + wire goes to the big starter post or switched side on the disconnect. With the disconnect you don't want it to go direct to the battery as it defeats the purpose of the kill switch.

The disconnect, are you using one of the cheap plastic body china switches?
I only use the heavy duty metal body Moroso disconnect.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 5 2018, 10:04 AM) *

You either still have something wired wrong or you damaged something from incorrect wiring. It doesn't matter if the alternator + wire goes to the big starter post or switched side on the disconnect. With the disconnect you don't want it to go direct to the battery as it defeats the purpose of the kill switch.

The disconnect, are you using one of the cheap plastic body china switches?
I only use the heavy duty metal body Moroso disconnect.

Heavy duty Moroso.
StarBear
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2017, 08:54 AM) *

This is real simple to make and crimpers should be a tool in every car guys tool kit, but if if you really think there's a demand for this I could offer a complete plug and play wiring kit for something like $30 shipped USA and Canada.

If I were to offer a kit I'd look into using better strain relief connectors.
You would still have to buy a solenoid and do the mount mod.

Mark; did/do you ever offer that kit? Not seen it, or is it available through some other source? Thanks!
Spoke
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 4 2018, 05:10 PM) *

The fix worked great!
Anyone got any idea's?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the reply-
Unfortunately, when I ran it with the Alt wire to the to the starter solenoid the kill switch failed to work and would not cut off the running car as it should. The only way I was able to make it work was to connect the Alt. wire to the switched side of the kill switch but then the hot start problem reappeared (either that or a new problem).

Not sure how the internals of the kill switch work but the battery should never be removed from the alternator when the engine is running. Modern cars use high power zener diodes as rectifiers in the alternator to snub the inductive kick if the battery is removed from the alternator when running. Almost any electronics in the vehicle could be damaged by the inductive kick.

Automotive test specification ISO 7637-2 pulse 5 is a killer pulse. This pulse is 100V for about 1/2 a second and simulates disconnecting the battery from the alternator.

If you're looking to protect the car from being stolen, you might want to try putting a switch in series with the spark unit, ECU, or the fuel pump. On my 930, I have a tiny toggle switch in series with the fuel pump relay. You can push the car or crank it all day and it won't start.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 12 2018, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Aug 4 2018, 05:10 PM) *

The fix worked great!
Anyone got any idea's?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the reply-

Not sure how the internals of the kill switch work but the battery should never be removed from the alternator when the engine is running. Modern cars use high power zener diodes as rectifiers in the alternator to snub the inductive kick if the battery is removed from the alternator when running. Almost any electronics in the vehicle could be damaged by the inductive kick.

Automotive test specification ISO 7637-2 pulse 5 is a killer pulse. This pulse is 100V for about 1/2 a second and simulates disconnecting the battery from the alternator.

If you're looking to protect the car from being stolen, you might want to try putting a switch in series with the spark unit, ECU, or the fuel pump. On my 930, I have a tiny toggle switch in series with the fuel pump relay. You can push the car or crank it all day and it won't start.

It's a track side kill switch so corner workers can save my life in the event I'm unconscious (a standard op for cars used at the track-mine happens to also be streeted).
I have no ECU, but I like the idea of taking power from my dizzy to effectively kill the cars ability to continue to run in the event I can not turn off the key switch. That said, even if my alt was removed from the kill switch functionality, since it would then be relayed from the solenoid on the starter (in Marks diagram) would it not have the same effect as removing power from the alt while the car is running when the car is turned off with the key? Or does the relay prevent a spike from going back to the system?
Mark Henry
I wouldn't worry about the engine running after a crash, usually the engine will stall as the car was in gear, the fuel pump running is the bigger issue.
You can get a early 80's rabbit CIS fuel pump relay that runs off the tach signal, but it won't work off of an MSD. You could add a Ashlock Tachadapt to work the rabbit relay with an MSD.
Or you could run a simple DTDP relay off of the oil pressure switch.

If you need the part number of the rabbit relay I can find it for you.
Mark Henry
The Ford solenoid just fixed the no start issue in my sons '82 Audi coupe with a new looking Bosch starter.
On FB early Audi group I was told to replace the starter, ignition switch and/or the wiring from the ignition switch, thru the fuse box and the relay box to the starter. blink.gif
Sound familiar? biggrin.gif

30 minutes and $20 later... problem solved. beer.gif
brcacti
Mark Henry, I'll come up to Canada and pay you to do it..................hehehe smile.gif JUST kidding, looooong drive. Thanks to ALL who gave such valuable information.
StarBear
Ditto to several above and kudos to MH. Did mine this Spring - started every time this past summer. Easy and cheap; used same wires and (cleaned) connectors, so fast, too.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 25 2019, 03:30 PM) *

Mark Henry, I'll come up to Canada and pay you to do it..................hehehe smile.gif JUST kidding, looooong drive. Thanks to ALL who gave such valuable information.

I accept beer money wink.gif laugh.gif

beer.gif
oakdalecurtis
i checked with Mark on the actual relay he used, I wanted to buy one new, not a used wrecking yard one. Mark informed me that it is an 12 v, SW-3, B6AZ-11450-A, ordered one on Amazon for $20. The tab it came with allowed me to attach it directly to the starter bolt as recommended with no bending required. Here's a few pics of the finished install. My car starts so fast now it's scary!
Thanks Mark!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brainf18
Mark, I've been fighting hot start (i.e. no start) issues for some time and came across your thread. Followed your instructions and voilĂ  problem solved for under $50! The only thing I wish I'd had is a custom bracket for mounting...but gently bending the tab and securing under the lower starter bolt works really well. Thanks so much for posting how to fix this! Much appreciated my friend!
Montreal914
Nice car! drooley.gif
6" steel wheels?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 22 2020, 08:47 PM) *

Nice car! drooley.gif
6" steel wheels?

agree.gif
just did the upgrade to an Allis Chalmers forklift..#1
Mark Henry
Ford used different mount brackets for different cars and trucks, that's why there's several styles of mounts. I prefer the bracket style shown at the start of this thread, but they can all be made to work.
brainf18
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Feb 22 2020, 10:47 PM) *

Nice car! drooley.gif
6" steel wheels?

I get this question alot. I went for a low cost "vintage" look. Wheels are 5.5x15 from Sierra Madre ($60 each). Studs and lugs for mounting ($112). Tires are Achilles ATR 2's. Made by bridgestone they are great tires at a very low cost ($200 for a set of 4)

Steel Wheels

Wheel Studs

Lug nuts

Tires
pcdarks
Not to beat a dead horse but I found this solenoid. It's 12 volt and comes with a slide terminal to match the wire coming from the ignition switch.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/standa...enoid&pos=6Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
This thread should be in the Classic Forum.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 6 2021, 12:32 PM) *

This thread should be in the Classic Forum.

confused24.gif
rhodyguy
Not removed from here, shared in the classic.
black73
The Classic Forum should be a sticky at the top of the Garage, since that's where most of the traffic is. I forget the Classic forum exists sometimes.
barefoot
QUOTE(pcdarks @ Jan 6 2021, 12:13 PM) *

Not to beat a dead horse but I found this solenoid. It's 12 volt and comes with a slide terminal to match the wire coming from the ignition switch.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/standa...enoid&pos=6Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment

You don't need the Ford or this rarther heavy duty solenoid, I used a such smaller one sourced from Amazon, works just fine as you're only carrying small amperage.
Shivers
I got introduced to the hot start problem in 1982. In 92, ish, I got the hot start band aid sold at aa. And it worked. But I was concerned it would fail. But this is that on steroids. Had lots of old fords, never had to replace the relay. I started modifying my car in the 80's, so this would be a permanent fix to a poor design on a car driven in a warm/hot climate. I'm to old to be push starting a car by myself. And it had a habit of not starting when I was alone...On a hill...Parallel parked between two cars, parked too close. Thanks.
914Sixer
Another option is Bosch WR1 starter Kit. $27-$36 depending on where you shop
Mark Henry
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 7 2021, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(pcdarks @ Jan 6 2021, 12:13 PM) *

You don't need the Ford or this rarther heavy duty solenoid, I used a such smaller one sourced from Amazon, works just fine as you're only carrying small amperage.

Guess you didn't read the first post. rolleyes.gif
I have literally hundreds of these running around from bugs, buses, 914, etc. so you won't be changing my mind on the value of this very simple and cheap fix.

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jan 29 2021, 10:49 AM) *

I got introduced to the hot start problem in 1982. In 92, ish, I got the hot start band aid sold at aa. And it worked. But I was concerned it would fail. But this is that on steroids. Had lots of old fords, never had to replace the relay. I started modifying my car in the 80's, so this would be a permanent fix to a poor design on a car driven in a warm/hot climate. I'm to old to be push starting a car by myself. And it had a habit of not starting when I was alone...On a hill...Parallel parked between two cars, parked too close. Thanks.

Common story, I've replaced dozens of the Bosch relay fix with my Ford Solenoid fix.
Mark Henry
Cool tool that every 914 owner should (at minimum) have in their toolbox, a Channellock 909 terminal crimping tool. made in the USA, $30 CAD or about $20 USD.

Perfect crimp pliers for this project.
Known by some as "The Tooth", it makes a perfect dimple for excellent strong connections. I've misplaced my trusty old Panduit crimp pliers, so I bought the 909 and so far I like the crimps better than my old pliers

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-909-Crim...uct_top?ie=UTF8

beer.gif
ClayPerrine
I just use a IMI gear drive starter. No hot start problem since I put it on.

IMI High Torque Gear Drive Starter

No, it is not cheap. But I have been running the same IMI starter, without replacement , on my red 914 for years now. I originally put it on the 2.0L 4 cylinder to cure the hot start issue. I moved it to the 2.4L 911ST engine when I did the six conversion, and that same starter still spins the 4.0L monster motor with no issues.

I figure that starter will outlast the car. :cranky:

Olympic 914
(Deleted Irrelevant post... ) confused24.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 29 2021, 12:03 PM) *

Another option is Bosch WR1 starter Kit. $27-$36 depending on where you shop

Right in my 1st post my opinion is this fix is CRAP. dry.gif
Also said it's not a debate if you don't like it then move along.

It's not a "starter kit" it's a VW Ghia horn relay. Look at that jangle of wires you have to hack in! You have to install it in the engine bay ..are you going to use a self tapping screw.

I just ripped one out today and I'll be doing my fix thank you. smile.gif

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 29 2021, 12:52 PM) *

I just use a IMI gear drive starter. No hot start problem since I put it on.

IMI High Torque Gear Drive Starter

No, it is not cheap. But I have been running the same IMI starter, without replacement , on my red 914 for years now. I originally put it on the 2.0L 4 cylinder to cure the hot start issue. I moved it to the 2.4L 911ST engine when I did the six conversion, and that same starter still spins the 4.0L monster motor with no issues.

I figure that starter will outlast the car. :cranky:

I also have an Hi-Torque in my /6 shades.gif
Starts my /6 good!!
I still have the Ford bit only because I didn't take it off when I put in the Hi-torque starter. I should try without, I bet the Hi-torque only needs 3-4 amps to kick in, much like what the Ford solenoid needs.
The problem is with the Bosch solenoid that needs a full 9 amps to kick in.
LefthandRev
Did this today. Used a $17 solenoid from O'Reilly. Here's the link to the part.

The 90 degree mounting plate makes it easy to attach to the starter mounting bolt. Ream out the 3 o'clock hole on the mounting plate. No need to bend anything.

Wire yellow to the "S" lug on the new solenoid/relay.

Female blade wire on the 9 o'clock lug, if "S" is noon. 14" wire.
Eyelet terminal mounts to the 3 o'clock lug. 12" wire.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mark Henry
Just had my first no start in ages, had to get a push. huh.gif

Tested my ford solenoid, no problem there, starter kicked right in.
Cleaned a few grounds...nope.
I was about to dive into my ignition switch, then decided to check my seat belt interlock under the passenger seat. I had disabled it years ago by just pulling one of the relays, which 20 years ago was SOP.
I did a quick thread search (thanks Clay), pulled and connected the two big yellow wires and I was back in business.

Moral is you still have to check all your connections...but get the easy stuff out of the way first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.