Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can I get rid of carb noise...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
Carb noise has to be the most annoying part of taking a long drive. I use ear plugs and it helps but it still annoys the hell out of me on long drives like my recent 1000+ drive to attend Rt 66. I have weber IDFs with cheapo K&N knockoff air cleaners. Would rain hats make much of a difference? I have insulation on the firewall already. Looking for some relief before heading out to WCR in a month. TIA
dansvan
Turbo hats with hose/piping to a different area with a cone filter on the end?
JmuRiz
Make sure your rear window has a good seal on the bottom edge.

Also, maybe look into using an airbox of some kind, maybe an early 912 style.
poorsche914
This thread might help you.

driving.gif
Dave_Darling
Insulation on the firewall, insulation on the engine lid, put the rain tray in, fab up an airbox and maybe put insulation on that....

--DD
Blue6
Mike, send a pm to Keith914. At the last G&R swap meet, he was showing us his air cleaner boxes from I believe a Honda motorcycle. He said it really tamed the noise... dave
Elliot Cannon
I actually like the noise my 44 idf's make. Especially at WOT. I wear foam earplugs because of the noise all the other cars and trucks make, especially on the highway.
michael7810
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check the seal on the rear glass but I believe it's OK. The CSP filter box looks great but I'm looking for a csob solution at least for now. It looks like the motorcycle filter boxes are worth a try and I will talk to Keith914 to see how he did it on the engine he just sold. My goal is to have it done by WCR...my WCR punch list is getting long.
rgolia
This is how the CSP airbox looks installed. I think it looks sharp and most that see it agree.

Click to view attachment
struckn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 24 2017, 06:13 PM) *

Insulation on the firewall, insulation on the engine lid, put the rain tray in, fab up an airbox and maybe put insulation on that....

--DD

Just remember the engine cooling flow of air goes out the engine grill so don't block it.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 24 2017, 06:05 PM) *

driving.gif

My solution cost me under $40 total and cut the sound at least 80%, I am not fudging; honestly 80%.

Really quiets up the intake noise but you can still hear the carbs suck....just much lower volume and pitch. i can head my exhaust now. i meet a fellow from Laguna Beach at Bruce's swap meet and he had done the conversion too. i highly recommend this. There was no change in performance.

The other alternative I considered were 912 air cleaner housings but those are $$$$. This way I keep my velocity stacks too!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(struckn @ Apr 25 2017, 07:48 AM) *

Just remember the engine cooling flow of air goes out the engine grill so don't block it.

No, it comes in the grille. It goes out the bottom of the car!

--DD
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 25 2017, 11:28 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif but correct on the part about not blocking it.
Mark Henry
I'm going to be in the same boat with my weber /6 conversion
I know many don't like the stock pad because of rust and it's heavy, but I'm thinking of putting it back in. Maybe securing it better.
I have zero rust issues behind the pad.

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 24 2017, 08:53 PM) *

Make sure your rear window has a good seal on the bottom edge.

agree.gif I can see the bottom of my window is loose.
struckn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 25 2017, 07:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 25 2017, 11:28 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif but correct on the part about not blocking it.

sad.gif No it comes out the grill top when the engines off and the cars not moving.

av-943.gif tongue.gif
drem914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 25 2017, 08:07 AM) *

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 24 2017, 06:05 PM) *

driving.gif

My solution cost me under $40 total and cut the sound at least 80%, I am not fudging; honestly 80%.

Really quits up the intake noise but you can still hear the carbs suck....just much lower volume and pitch. i can head my exhaust now. i meet a fellow from Laguna Beach at Bruce's swap meet and he had done the conversion too. i highly recommend this. There was no change in performance.

The other alternative I considered were 912 air cleaner housings but those are $$$$. This way I keep my velocity stacks too!

Did the Honda enclosures conflict with linkage support brackets on the lower plates?
McMark
QUOTE(drem914 @ Apr 25 2017, 08:13 PM) *
Did the Honda enclosures conflict with linkage support brackets on the lower plates?

Sounds like you have a cross bar linkage. You need to throw that in the trash and order a CSP Bellcrank Linkage.
michael7810
I ordered Honda filter boxes from eBay. I'll report back on e I get them installed. I have the Tangerine cable linkage.
drem914
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 26 2017, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(drem914 @ Apr 25 2017, 08:13 PM) *

Sounds like you have a cross bar linkage. You need to throw that in the trash and order a CSP Bellcrank Linkage.

I have the bell crank linkage installed. I am using the support brackets as a mount point for a cross bar to install the oil catch can and my fuel pressure regulator.
7TPorsh
I have the hex bar setup and no conflicts. New linkage is on my long "wanna do" list.
76-914
Michael, if your car weren't so nice I'd suggest you yank out that 45yo air sucker and replace it with a Subaru. biggrin.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 26 2017, 03:11 PM) *

Michael, if your car weren't so nice I'd suggest you yank out that 45yo air sucker and replace it with a Subaru. biggrin.gif

I'll go aftermarket FI before going Suby for the reason you mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.