Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where should we go next year ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Coondog
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ May 3 2017, 01:15 PM) *

I sorta like the other routes better... What was on this one people wanted to see?

agree.gif

More mountain less desert.......... driving.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 3 2017, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(JustinMeier @ May 3 2017, 01:15 PM) *

I sorta like the other routes better... What was on this one people wanted to see?

agree.gif

More mountain less desert.......... driving.gif

The eastern route has 2 top 10 drives in AZ and would be something new for this group. Makes no difference to me. I'm thinking about exploring the eastern route this fall before we nail it down.
Chris914n6
#5r (Reverse)

Drive cool road. Sleep in Show Low Friday night. Drive cool road. Sleep in Safford Sat night.
Drive home will be a little longer but will likely be driving thru the desert in the morning instead of late afternoon. NV UT CO NM folks can do rt 191 again biggrin.gif

QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 2 2017, 03:24 PM) *

OK - here's a plan that includes Rt 191

PMS tour Friday AM
Friday Drive PHX > Safford (165 miles)
Overnight in Safford
Saturday Drive Safford > Show Low via Rt 191 (210 miles)
Awards dinner Saturday night in Show Low
Sunday - go home through Phoenix via Rt 60 through the Salt River Canyon (another top 10 AZ motorcycle road -- 175 miles to Phx) OR via Rt 40 (50 miles north of Show Low)
So round trip starting and finishing in Phx is 550 miles and as far as I can tell we don't touch Rt 66. I'm game is the group is...Talk amongst yourselves

Click to view attachment

JustinMeier
QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 3 2017, 08:54 PM) *

The eastern route has 2 top 10 drives in AZ and would be something new for this group. Makes no difference to me. I'm thinking about exploring the eastern route this fall before we nail it down.

Let me know and I'll go with you!
michael7810
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ May 5 2017, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ May 3 2017, 08:54 PM) *

Let me know and I'll go with you!

Justin: You got it. I'll contact you after summer.
Coondog
I talked with James Patrick today. He is all in for a meet and greet. We will hook up next week to pin down some Friday dates that this group can choose from. Dates I am looking at are late March or early April. Remember we will have to work around his race weekends.
garrettlee2
If we do route 5 because of my suggestion of 191 let me just say it was a hard beautiful drive. We traveled from north to south and if memory serves it to almost 3 hours to go from Hannagan meadows were we stayed the night to the 10. We were in a jetta not a 914 but it was still fun. Their was a sign reading " don't get out of your car wolf rehabilitation area." We saw big horn sheep and lots of deer in the road but no wolf's. This is a link to were we stayed http://www.hannaganmeadow.com/ they have a small cafe it might be a good lunch stop
jim_hoyland
What are the tentative dates ?
Coondog
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 26 2017, 01:34 PM) *

I am waiting for James at Patrick Motorsports to give me several weekend dates that don't confict with there racing schedule.
michael7810
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jun 26 2017, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 26 2017, 01:34 PM) *

I am waiting for James at Patrick Motorsports to give me several weekend dates that don't confict with there racing schedule.

Greg - any update from James?
worn
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 25 2017, 07:45 PM) *

I'm guessing that not a square inch of Rt.66 hasn't been driven on previous events... What were some favorites and how long has it been since those have been driven? popcorn[1].gif

You mean the part in Illinois? The farther east you have it the better chance I have of getting there. By east I mean maybe New Mexico.
shoguneagle
I like the idea of the Carefree highway from Phoenix to Flagstaff. To me any route 66 label should touch base the majority of the time with Route 66. The problem for Arizona people is that there is only so much of Route 66 you can see over the years and they want to see other Arizona drives.

Any one of the recommended routes has great driving and will meet the needs of most of the members. I lived in Flagstaff for eight years and have driven everyone of the roads mentioned. All great stuff!!

I would attend any place near I-40 south. I am coming from New Mexico and will only be able to attend the Saturday night event and meeting up with you somewhere enroute during the day.

we still have to complete the Route 66 California from Barstow on into Santa Monica; and, from Joplin, MO to Chicago, Ill.

As always, this is great event and should be attended by as members as possible.

Steve Hurt
michael7810
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Jul 29 2017, 03:08 PM) *

I like the idea of the Carefree highway from Phoenix to Flagstaff. To me any route 66 label should touch base the majority of the time with Route 66. The problem for Arizona people is that there is only so much of Route 66 you can see over the years and they want to see other Arizona drives.

Any one of the recommended routes has great driving and will meet the needs of most of the members. I lived in Flagstaff for eight years and have driven everyone of the roads mentioned. All great stuff!!

I would attend any place near I-40 south. I am coming from New Mexico and will only be able to attend the Saturday night event and meeting up with you somewhere enroute during the day.

we still have to complete the Route 66 California from Barstow on into Santa Monica; and, from Joplin, MO to Chicago, Ill.

As always, this is great event and should be attended by as members as possible.

Steve Hurt

Hi Steve - thanks for your input. I agree with pretty much everything you say. I'm one of those who wants to try a new route having driven the Flag/Payson/Winslow/Prescott routes numerous times. Any new route that can start in Phoenix (such as Rt 191 in eastern AZ) does not touch Rt 66 (AFAIK). I have no favorite and therefore want to select a route that is enjoyable in a 914 while maximizing participation. I'll get serious in planning after RRC. Let's continue to bump this thread so when the time comes to nail down the route I'll have input from attending members.
Thanks,
Michael
michael7810
I recently visited the town of Williams, AZ which is 30 miles west of Flagstaff on Route 66. Williams is very much a town built on the themes of Rt 66-Classic Cars and Trains. Cool Main Street with lots of hotels/diners/shops/train-car stuff. I’m going to contact the town tourism person (not sure who that is yet) and see how they feel about hosting our group on Friday and Saturday nights. This option includes approx 100 miles of driving Route 66. Friday would includes lots of twisties/mountain roads and Saturday would be more straight highway/interstate.

Sorry for the sideways photos...I can't figure out why some turn while others don't...

Route 6:
Arrive Phoenix Thursday PM or early Friday
PMS tour Friday AM
Friday Drive PHX > Wickenburg > Prescott > Williams (182 or 238 miles - see below)
Overnight in Williams
Saturday Drive Williams > Kingman (lunch) via 90 miles of Route 66 > Williams via I-40 (243 miles / 3hr 55m according to Google)
Awards dinner Saturday night in Williams
Sunday - game over, go home

Friday drive short version:
Click to view attachment

Friday drive long version:
Click to view attachment

Saturday Drive to Kingman:
Click to view attachment
914_teener
I'll go if it touches Prescott.

Grandson is there.

Costa05
I would go if I have my car done by then.
Or at least road worthy enough. Haha. Hot weather slowed me down.

Rich
SKL1
I'm up for either of the routes, especially 89A from Sedona to Flagg, unless I'm behind a Winnebago...

Probably will drive the Spyder though as not sure I trust the 914 that far from home... (at least it is mid-engine)
76-914
Oh Hell yes, Michael. Excellent choice. beerchug.gif
stevend914
Probably won't be able to attend the Arizona drive, but I'll drive route 66 in the Saint Louis area instead.

Click to view attachment
AZ914
Michael,
Either would be great! We did the Williams-Kingman-Oatman-Laughlin run back in 2011 and its a cool drive.
Experience tells me the 182 miles on Fri might be better after an AM tour as we will make stops etc.
michael7810
Here's what I got
TENTATIVE DATES:Thur April 19 - Sun April 22, 2018
Begin in Phoenix; ends in Williams, AZ

Thurs: Arrive Phoenix PM; BBQ at MOVEQIK's house (to be confirmed) or local watering hole.

Friday: PMS tour is iffy but if it happens that will be the morning agenda. If not the Phoenix Open Wheel Racing Museum is in the same area and I have a buddy who will give us a private tour. After tour, drive west on I-10 to Vulture Mine Road (good twisties) then north to Prescott via Highway 89 with a stop at the Granite Mountain Hotshot's Memorial ( Hotshot's Memorial subject of the 2017 movie Only The Brave). 165 miles/3h13m.

Saturday: Depart Prescott at 9:14 and head up 89A (more twisties) to Williams, AZ driving thru Jerome, Cottonwood, Sedona, and Flagstaff with a lunch stop to be planned. Banquet Sat night in Williams on Route 66. 123 miles/2h55m

Hotels, restaurants, etc. still need to be worked out.
Map below...let the comments begin ar15.gif

Click to view attachment
stevend914
What if I decide to drive my 911 instead of the 914, could I still attend?
Coondog
Sounds great
Thank you
michael7810
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Oct 25 2017, 02:39 PM) *

What if I decide to drive my 911 instead of the 914, could I still attend?

You bet...never hurts to have a donor car close by lol-2.gif
SKL1
Looks like a great route especially 89A... and I'll probably be in a 981 Spyder (at least it's mid-engine). And it won't conflict with the Indycar race in early April at PIR.
euro911
I may already be in Payson at that time, unfortunately, I will be in some sort of Toyota truck (again) ... but may have the '99 Beetle there as well (2007 Redux?) sad.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
Elliot Cannon
Cmon Mark, you haven't had a drivable 914 since I moved from the OC eleven years ago. WTF.gif
euro911
Huh? unsure.gif

Drove 'Howard' to the 2008 RT-66 - Winslow

Click to view attachment

The 'BB' to the 2012 RT-66 - Lake Havasu (parked next to yours)

Click to view attachment

... and to the 2015 RT-66 - Palm Springs

Click to view attachment

... and to the 2015 WCR - San Simeon

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
AZBanks
Sounds like a good drive. I doubt I'll have the 914 done by then but the 944 Cab should be ready.
76-914
I'm up for it. It will be interesting to see how many teener's complete the drive. The only problem I see is for those trailering. They'll need to double back. beerchug.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 25 2017, 10:13 PM) *

Huh? unsure.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

shades.gif

Was that you?? av-943.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 26 2017, 08:07 AM) *

...The only problem I see is for those trailering. They'll need to double back. beerchug.gif

I didn't think about that...but I don't own a trailer. stirthepot.gif Those coming from the north can leave a trailer in Flagstaff/Williams and drive 2.5 hr to Phoenix. SoCal'ers have to drive to Phoenix to get home.
914_teener
I.m going to Prescott first and driving down to Phx.
Larmo63
Why would I tow anything behind my 914?
76-914
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 25 2017, 10:13 PM) *

Huh? unsure.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

shades.gif

Your a nobody on this board until Elyut gives you the “Biz”.
euro911
I'm still a nobody poke.gif
JustinMeier
I like the route! I mean, I am a bit biased since it's all around my area beerchug.gif

The car better be ready by then, if not, I've severely F'ed something up......
Keith914
I will be there - routing alternatives all look good.
forrestkhaag
I am in Scottsdale for the winter so I am biased too...... / but having driven some of these mountain and canyon roads last 66 and when compared the drives to San Simeon thru LA and putting along PCH with the tourists, I would like to see the event happen out here where there are open roads and the only crazies one might encounter came in from places like Temecula and Capo Beach..... poke.gif poke.gif

That is assuming I can figure out my ignition issue by then.. confused24.gif sheeplove.gif

SKL1
Forest- trying to figure out where that picture was taken...can't see any seguaro cactus so wonder if it's AZ??
worn
Just asked the map program for an estimate. 25-27 hours 1 way. Around 1800 miles to get there. On the other hand it sounds fun.
I am not wild about the big cities - my mom had a place in Apache Junction and the hour of quick moving freeway needed to cross Phoenix from the airport to her place was a bit demoralizing.
Is the plan to spend the first night on the outskirts? The drives all sound great. I am leaning towards running out in the 3.2, but I put headers not heat exchangers on it. Maybe the lower level runs will make that work out.
sb914
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 27 2017, 11:09 AM) *

Forest- trying to figure out where that picture was taken...can't see any seguaro cactus so wonder if it's AZ??

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Eagle mountain road desert center ca! evilgrin.gif
euro911
That's scary, having geo-tag data showing exactly where he was at a specific day and time when the image was taken ... now they know where he buried the bodies - poke.gif
forrestkhaag
Still digging Pal. ar15.gif
Coondog
I will be at Patrick Motorsports tomorrow morning. I will see if I can get James to schedule us in for a April 20th tour.
Coondog
Confirmed tour of Patrick Motorsports at 9am on the 20th.
sb914
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 6 2017, 05:46 PM) *

Confirmed tour of Patrick Motorsports at 9am on the 20th.

420 smoke.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Oct 25 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Here's what I got

Thurs: Arrive Phoenix PM; BBQ at MOVEQIK's house (to be confirmed) or local watering hole.

We are good to go Thursday at my place! I'll have seaweed burgers or something similar for ell-yut. jsharp.gif beerchug.gif
stevend914
Hope the date holds, weekend before PCA Treffen in New Mexico so I can attend both during the trip west, might be in the 911 but plenty of time to figure that out.
76-914
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Nov 7 2017, 04:38 AM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Oct 25 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Here's what I got

We are good to go Thursday at my place! I'll have seaweed burgers or something similar for ell-yut. jsharp.gif beerchug.gif

Well, he's gone Organic on us, too! I'm thinking a fresh cow patty, medium rare, on a Whole Wheat Bun of course! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.