Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where should we go next year ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
VegasRacer
Since everyone is still jazzed from the fantastic event (thanks Kent) this past weekend, now seems like a good time to make some plans for next years traveling party.

We need suggestions on where to have the event?
Cities to invade? Roads to terrorize? Parking lots to party?

It would be awesome is someone is brave enough to step up to be the host / planner.
r_towle
I would like to attend next year so please do it on a different weekend than Hershey, maybe one or two weeks later so the weather we would drive away from is not as challenging.

Rich
pete-stevers
I sure wish I had a 914 ready to drive for the next event! Maybe 2019 idea.gif
Coondog
How about this

Friday 10:00am meet and greet at Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix. Get a tour of the shop have a food truck show up for lunch then hit the Hwy to Payson Arz. for the night.
90 miles of fun driving, elv. 5000

Sat. Drive to Camp Verde or Clarksdale for lunch then into Sedona, Flagstaff, or Prescott for banquet.

I agree on the off Hershey weekend and not on the same weekend as Calif speed event which PMS attends.

Sunday is for peeps who want to hit other R.66 stuff.

Maybe Larmo and I will even have our cars done by then. white914.jpg
mgp4591
I'm guessing that not a square inch of Rt.66 hasn't been driven on previous events... What were some favorites and how long has it been since those have been driven? popcorn[1].gif
76-914
Bryce, UT?
914_teener
Upland-Rancho R66 museums..

R66 route backside to Angeles Crest or Big Bear

Backside Angeles Crest to Mullholland to the Beach.

This would be a lot of the old R66 and off major fwys. Could also be scheduled around the FOS weekend for those involved in PCA?

Prescott is nice as well.....and Sedona is beautiful.

Great event this last time.

Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 25 2017, 08:41 PM) *

How about this

Friday 10:00am meet and greet at Patrick Motorsports in Phoenix. Get a tour of the shop have a food truck show up for lunch then hit the Hwy to Payson Arz. for the night.

Sat. Drive to Camp Verde or Clarksdale for lunch then into Sedona, Flagstaff, or Prescott for banquet.

I agree on the off Hershey weekend and not on the same weekend as Calif speed event which PMS attends.

Sounds like you have it pretty well planned out. Keep going. Hotels? Ummm, wait. Did you mention Flagstaff? Were you there last year? Brrrrr! av-943.gif
vin man

How about this

I like this plan. would agree we should hit Route 66. How about on to Flagstaff then Route 66 over to Winslow. Stand on a corner, then route 87 down the beeline back to Phoenix?
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(vin man @ Apr 26 2017, 09:38 AM) *

How about this

I like this plan. would agree we should hit Route 66. How about on to Flagstaff then Route 66 over to Winslow. Stand on a corner, then route 87 down the beeline back to Phoenix?

I like the La Posada hotel in Winslow. Not much else in town but a great relaxing hotel. And warmer than Flagstaff. biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland

How about this

Sounds interesting; would like to drive up Oak Canyon to Flagstaff for Sat banquet; then drive I40 back to CA, also puts CO peeps closer to home
T
vin man
Here is a potential round trip staring at Patrick Motor sports, north to Winslow and Route 66, over to Flagstaff. People can then split up if they like and head back to California or CO from Flag, or keep going South through Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, and Prescott back to Phoenix.

IPB Image
JustinMeier
I'm a bit biased but I'll vote for the AZ routes biggrin.gif

However, it's already in the 90s out here so maybe up North AZ would be a bit better.
Chris914n6
U gave me an idea biggrin.gif

Hit up PMS either afternoon (lunch?) Friday or Sat morning. They would probable come in Sat to meet 20 914s and 30 people for a tour. Might actually appreciate us not interrupting normal work time.
Flagstaff or Winslow as a starting point Fri morning depending on trailer parking. Sat night awards at the other. Fri night in Phoenix.

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 26 2017, 03:16 PM) *

Hit up PMS either afternoon (lunch?) Friday or Sat morning. They would probable come in Sat to meet 20 914s and 30 people for a tour. Might actually appreciate us not interrupting normal work time.
Flagstaff or Winslow as a starting point Fri morning depending on trailer parking. Sat night awards at the other. Fri night in Phoenix.

Click to view attachment

That looks good smile.gif
JustinMeier
In/Out of Sedona is a parking lot from what I hear so make sure you're not overheating smile.gif
Coondog
My two cents, but with two events in Calif we need to get back to Arz. As far as Phx goes it's like L.A you want to be out of there by 1pm on Friday.
hcdmueller
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 26 2017, 03:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

My only input on this is go up to Wickenburg then Prescott. Yarnell hill and the roads beyond are pretty good.
flmont
Iam down for any run thru AZ,..
SKL1
Starting at PMS and up to Payson sounds great- then up to old 66 and back towards PHX on 89A from Flagg to Sedona- an INCREDIBLE road!! Could come back thru Yarnell and Wickenberg and stay off 17.

Above map sounds pretty damned good!! Not sure the 914 will make the whole trip but I'll come along in a mid engine car non the less...
snakemain
It'll be my luck that it's AZ or somewhere close, and we'll get orders to move to the East Coast a week before.
VegasRacer
Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. biggrin.gif Please, keep 'em coming.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 25 2017, 07:37 PM) *

I would like to attend next year so please do it on a different weekend than Hershey,

Consider it done.
Maybe you can convince Ed & Jenn to make the trip west as well.

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 25 2017, 08:45 PM) *

. . . Rt.66 . . . driven on previous events... What were some favorites and how long has it been since those have been driven?

We have been as far east as Albuquerque. We have hit most of 66 in Arizona including several times on the longest intact stretch of the highway from Seligman to Kingman.
Most would agree their favorite leg is from Kingman to Oatman.

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 26 2017, 09:07 AM) *

Prescott is nice as well.....and Sedona is beautiful.

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 26 2017, 10:01 AM) *

I like the La Posada hotel in Winslow. Not much else in town but a great relaxing hotel.

QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 26 2017, 04:53 PM) *

with two events in Calif we need to get back to Arz. As far as Phx goes it's like L.A you want to be out of there by 1pm on Friday.

QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Apr 26 2017, 06:01 PM) *

Yarnell hill and the roads beyond are pretty good.

All true.

VegasRacer
It seems like the consensus is central Arizona.
We have been to Winslow twice, Prescott three times, never stayed in Sedona but driven thru a few times. Flagstaff was our city of choice multiple times. Only once have we been in Phoenix.

I love the maps, but I fear those routes may be a bit ambitious.
Two years ago we stayed in Flag. The first day we did the Grand Canyon.
The Saturday tour was Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome, Prescott. It was a full day. (On fantastic roads.)
VegasRacer
Another option . . . .

Start in Phoenix. Patrick Motorsports sound cool, if they will have us. Or, a quick stop a PIR for a photo opp. (maybe even a track tour) Wickenburg, Congress, lunch in Prescott. Then Skull Valley, Bagdad and on to Kingman for the night. (Yeah, it's a shit hole, but it is in the song. Plus, we have never stayed there.) ((I promise the road out of Bagdad is excellent fun.))

Day two is not as solid yet. idea.gif Rt 66 to Oatman is a must. From there we could go to Havasu or Laughlin for the banquet. Or ? ? ? We could double back, do 66 and party in Flagstaff or Winslow.

garrettlee2
The 191 the 40 to the 10 is an amazing road and their is a creepy hunting lodge to stay at half way down.Click to view attachment
michael7810
I'll do some research on eastern AZ routes. Out 60 through Globe to Safford to Eager...I've heard the drive up 191 along the NM border is worthwhile. Be good to try something new. Mount Lemmon in Tucson is also a fun drive although short...maybe we can add a southern AZ wine country tour.
Toast
I vote Flagstaff. I know there is not much left open on the route but It's been a while since we had a Rt 66 run on actual Rt 66. Miss those days. driving-girl.gif driving.gif
michael7810
Here is a link to the drive up Rt 191. Rated #1 drive in AZ by Motorcycle Roads Coronado Trail
MoveQik
IF we decide that we want to shoot for a tour of PMS let me know, I would be happy to ask him. We also have the Penske Museum right up the street next to the Porsche dealership. I would also be more than happy to offer up mi casa for a BBQ on a Thursday if people want to start in PHX a night early. I will say that spring can be $$$ for hotels in the area but we have plenty of room for tents biggrin.gif

I hated missing this year so looking forward to next!
76-914
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 25 2017, 07:11 PM) *

Since everyone is still jazzed from the fantastic event (thanks Kent) this past weekend, now seems like a good time to make some plans for next years traveling party.

It would be awesome is someone is brave enough to step up to be the host / planner.

If no one else steps up I'll help.

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 26 2017, 08:06 PM) *

We have been to Winslow twice, Prescott three times, never stayed in Sedona but driven thru a few times. Flagstaff was our city of choice multiple times. Only once have we been in Phoenix.

The Saturday tour was Flagstaff, Sedona, Jerome, Prescott. It was a full day. (On fantastic roads.)

agree.gif That area is very nice!
michael7810
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 27 2017, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 25 2017, 07:11 PM) *

If no one else steps up I'll help.

QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 26 2017, 08:06 PM) *

agree.gif That area is very nice!

Technically I have the time to help out since I'm retired...it just doesn't seem like I have more teener time than before. OK - I'll help out beer.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 26 2017, 08:42 PM) *

I've heard the drive up 191 along the NM border is worthwhile. Be good to try something new.

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 27 2017, 12:29 PM) *

OK - I'll help out beer.gif

That settles it for me. Michael you are the man. icon22_2.gif
Whomever volunteers to plan, their vote has the most weight in selecting the route.

Anybody have a problem with that? devil.gif I didn't think so.

Coondog

[/quote]

Whomever volunteers to plan, their vote has the most weight in selecting the route.

[/quote]

I will contact James Patrick and I vote for Payson Arz Friday night.
jim_hoyland
Sounds good ! PMS would be a great place for a group photo op. Please schedule in the least hot part of the year
michael7810
Let the planning begin
Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
Wait a minute based on one of the previous comments how many miles of Route 66 did the group cover in 2017 do we know the miles. Drive on driving.gif Thanks Paul
michael7810
[quote name='Coondog' date='Apr 27 2017, 07:26 PM' post='2480250']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I will contact James Patrick and I vote for Payson Arz Friday night.
[/quote]

Gregg - great if you can talk to James about the tour...and if your car isn't done by then we can all drool on it drooley.gif
914_teener
We need another Mike in AZ, there are just not enough.

I am definately in for Patricks next year. My son is in Pescott so sounds good.

Want to thank Kent Ravi and Michelle...what nice goodie bags!,and the sponsers who sent goodies along.

Pelican...Bruce and Glenn. 914 Rubber and even Tangerine Racing from the write coast. Thanks folks!

Rob
michael7810
Here's a few route ideas for comment. You can probably tell that I like to drive so if these routes are too long let me know.
These routes assume you will arrive in PHX on Thursday evening or early Friday morning and depart from Flagstaff on Sunday morning.

Arrive Phoenix Thursday PM or early Friday
PMS tour Friday AM
Friday Drive PHX > Wickenburg > Prescott (124 miles)
Overnight in Prescott
Saturday Drive Prescott > Cottonwood > Pine > Flagstaff (159 miles)
Awards dinner Saturday night in Flagstaff
Sunday - game over, go home

Click to view attachment

PMS tour Friday AM
Friday Drive PHX > Payson > Camp Verde (147 miles)
Overnight in Camp Verde
Saturday drive Camp Verde > Sedona > AZ Snowbowl > Flagstaff (93 miles)

Click to view attachment

PMS tour Friday AM
Friday Drive PHX > Payson > Camp Verde (147 miles)
Overnight in Camp Verde
Saturday Drive Camp Verde > Cottonwood > Sedona > Valle (Planes of Fame museum) > Flagstaff (181 miles)

Click to view attachment

PMS tour Friday AM
Friday Drive PHX > Payson > Winslow
Overnight in Winslow
Saturday Drive Winslow > AZ Snowbowl > Flagstaff (85 miles)
Option to add Valle Planes of Fame museum adds 90 miles to Saturday drive

Click to view attachment
AZ914
Michael,

I'd be down with any of those, I'd prefer #1 (maybe via Carefree instead of Grand Ave) and #2. Lots of nice twisty roads and not much freeway.

Thanks for doing the footwork. If you need some help, let me know (I realize this is probably 10-11 months away).
JustinMeier
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Apr 28 2017, 04:13 PM) *

Michael,

I'd be down with any of those, I'd prefer #1 (maybe via Carefree instead of Grand Ave) and #2. Lots of nice twisty roads and not much freeway.

Thanks for doing the footwork. If you need some help, let me know (I realize this is probably 10-11 months away).

I'd agree, Carefree Highway would be the best and staying out of Sedona at this time of the year would be the best laugh.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 27 2017, 07:45 AM) *

IF we decide that we want to shoot for a tour of PMS let me know, I would be happy to ask him. We also have the Penske Museum right up the street next to the Porsche dealership. I would also be more than happy to offer up mi casa for a BBQ on a Thursday if people want to start in PHX a night early. I will say that spring can be $$$ for hotels in the area but we have plenty of room for tents biggrin.gif

I hated missing this year so looking forward to next!

OK, that settles is then. PARTY AT MIKES HOUSE WOOOHOOOO. flag.gif flag.gif beer.gif beer.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif smoke.gif barf.gif
76-914
We'll be there but meet ya'll in Cottonwood or Flagstaff. No interests in navigating through any Big City with this group after trying to "Herd the Cats" out of the little city of Temecula. What a cluster sheeplove.gif. Oh well, live and learn. shades.gif Besides, we have a place to stay in Sedona. beerchug.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(AZ914 @ Apr 28 2017, 04:13 PM) *

Michael,

Thanks Jason. Good suggestion about Carefree. I'm sure I can use some help once we get closer
draperjojo
Dave quietly tears up his paper that said "Jackson Hole"............ lol
rhodyguy
Driving IN Temecula was'nt THAT bad. Driving OUT of...not so good. wink.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Apr 26 2017, 08:39 PM) *

The 191 is an amazing road and their is a creepy hunting lodge to stay at half way down.

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 27 2017, 04:31 AM) *

Here is a link to the drive up Rt 191. Rated #1 drive in AZ by Motorcycle Roads Coronado Trail

We have driven some awesome roads in Arizona. If 191 is rated first.gif , I think we should check it out.
I love taking new routes I have never done before. driving.gif (In fact, that was my excuse for planning the first Rt 66 Classic.)
michael7810
I'll work up a route that includes 191 and out it out for the group to see. Mileage might be more than the proposed routes.
michael7810
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 29 2017, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Apr 26 2017, 08:39 PM) *

The 191 is an amazing road and their is a creepy hunting lodge to stay at half way down.

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Apr 27 2017, 04:31 AM) *

We have driven some awesome roads in Arizona. If 191 is rated first.gif , I think we should check it out.
I love taking new routes I have never done before. driving.gif (In fact, that was my excuse for planning the first Rt 66 Classic.)

OK - here's a plan that includes Rt 191

PMS tour Friday AM
Friday Drive PHX > Safford (165 miles)
Overnight in Safford
Saturday Drive Safford > Show Low via Rt 191 (210 miles)
Awards dinner Saturday night in Show Low
Sunday - go home through Phoenix via Rt 60 through the Salt River Canyon (another top 10 AZ motorcycle road -- 175 miles to Phx) OR via Rt 40 (50 miles north of Show Low)
So round trip starting and finishing in Phx is 550 miles and as far as I can tell we don't touch Rt 66. I'm game is the group is...Talk amongst yourselves

Click to view attachment
JustinMeier
I sorta like the other routes better... What was on this one people wanted to see?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.