Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission cooler Help...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joea9146
I am installing a Tranny cooler... I got the fittings to fit the drain and fill plug .
Everything was going fine until I got under the car. The Throttle linkage for the 6
blocks the drain plug. So I was going to tap the case next to the plug and insert the fitting there.
My only apprehension is the case in that area has a slight bevel where I want to tap it...
Any ideas or other suggestions.

joea9146
This is where I was planning to tap it.... Is this a good spot interference wise ?
Also the slight Bevel.... in the case sad.gif
TimT
That is a rather large fitting for transmission cooling.. you may have a problem with tappin into that arear of the transmission.. a gear cluster lives near there..

get a smaller fitting, and tap the case on the other side of the drain

joea9146
QUOTE (TimT @ May 9 2005, 08:38 PM)
That is a rather large fitting for transmission cooling.. you may have a problem with tappin into that arear of the transmission.. a gear cluster lives near there..

get a smaller fitting, and tap the case on the other side of the drain

Tim ... do u mean the oppisite side of the case ?
TimT
yes on the other side of the case. the drain on the 914 tranny is passenger side.. take your oil from the drivers side.. if you are in the same plane as the drainplug, you wont have to worry about interference with gears etc..
iamchappy
This is how I did mine if it helps I am using a different throttle bracket which dosen't interfer.
I used the fill and drain plugs by tapping an 8AN fittings into them.
iamchappy
cc
iamchappy
ttt
Aaron Cox
can you tap the plug itself? or use an angled (45 or 90) fitting?
iamchappy
I know its hard to see but the bottom fitting going into the lower drain plug is a 45 8AN to 3/8 pipe thread fitting.
8AN I am sure is big enough for a trans cooler the pump sucks it through like a shop vac.
iamchappy
I can get you another picture if you like, the transmission is out of the car right now.
joea9146
QUOTE (iamchappy @ May 9 2005, 09:18 PM)
I can get you another picture if you like, the transmission is out of the car right now.

Another picture would be good from the tranny case to the outside of the fitting is how many mm if possible to measeure
LukeD
That car looks insane. How much happy11.gif

What's in it?

LukeD
cametal
You may also want to check the case thickness before you drill.
Be sure whatever size tap your using can cut enough threads to seal well.
Might be better to change your throttle linkage. biggrin.gif
iamchappy
Here are some new pictures of my fittings hope it helps.
iamchappy
2cc
iamchappy
3cc
iamchappy
4cc
iamchappy,

Your pictures look VERY interesting cool.gif
joea9146
iamchappy... Thanks for the Additional Pictures
slivel
This is what I did. It fits nicely under the bracket.
joea9146
QUOTE (slivel @ May 10 2005, 01:08 PM)
This is what I did. It fits nicely under the bracket.

What size u using ?
slivel
It is the stock plug with a 3/8 inch hole drilled in it. Then weld on a steel elbow with the AN size of your choice. I used AN 6 if I recall correctly. The steel elbows are available form Pegasus racing, Earls and other places I'm sure. The one that I used was a steel AN6 and pipe thread adapter elbow. I cut off the pipe threads and butt welded it to the drilled stock plug. It's not hard to do and not expensive.
MattR
I read somewhere that the factory used a cooler to spray directly on the gears to keep the gears cool. Maybe I got something mixed up, but wouldnt an arbitrary location kinda defeat the purpose of an oil cooler? I know you're cooling off fluid, but will it really effectivly cool off the gears? And what do you use to pressurize the fluid?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (MattR @ May 10 2005, 12:09 PM)
I read somewhere that the factory used a cooler to spray directly on the gears to keep the gears cool. Maybe I got something mixed up, but wouldnt an arbitrary location kinda defeat the purpose of an oil cooler? I know you're cooling off fluid, but will it really effectivly cool off the gears? And what do you use to pressurize the fluid?

916 boxes had spraybars and an internal pump IIRC

and in Iamchappy's pics, you can see his electrical oil pump.
slivel
QUOTE (MattR @ May 10 2005, 11:09 AM)

Yes, a spray bar is most effective but understand that the pictures displayed only show the output side of the loop. From the drain plug area the hot oil goes to a pump and cooler then returns to the gearbox. The return can be plumbed to a spray bar over the gearset. In my case, I drilled and tapped one hole over the ring and pinion to dump the cooled oil. Next time I have the gear box apart I might tap 2 or 3 more holes over the gearset for additional cooling.
MattR
Got it. Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.