Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost First Gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
motorvated
It's my fault. I was on the track and shifting down from fourth to what I thought was third and hit first instead. Now it won't "click" into first and jumps out with grinding. It goes into first but won't stay. All other gears shift fine. Speedometer stopped working about the same time. Not sure if that is related or not. Checked front and rear shift rod bushings and the cup, and they are all Ok. Tried re-adjusting the shifter, but problem remains. Could I have bent the 1st/Reverse shift fork, or moved it on its rod? Reverse works normally, clutch is adjusted properly, and clutch tube is secure. Ideas anyone?
mlindner
1st gear slider also has the speedo drive gear on it....must have damaged the slider and or gear. Need to take rear cover off transmission to inspect. Do not need to pull transmission. Best, Mark
worn
QUOTE(motorvated @ May 14 2017, 05:16 AM) *

It's my fault. I was on the track and shifting down from fourth to what I thought was third and hit first instead. Now it won't "click" into first and jumps out with grinding. It goes into first but won't stay. All other gears shift fine. Speedometer stopped working about the same time. Not sure if that is related or not. Checked front and rear shift rod bushings and the cup, and they are all Ok. Tried re-adjusting the shifter, but problem remains. Could I have bent the 1st/Reverse shift fork, or moved it on its rod? Reverse works normally, clutch is adjusted properly, and clutch tube is secure. Ideas anyone?

Well, you can readily take off the rear section to expose first and reverse and have a look. When you do get it in gear will first move the car (before it jumps out of gear)?
flyer86d
Had the same thing happen. Engagement dog ring ring teeth were whomped. Removed first gear with trans in the car, rebuilt it and reinstalled.

Charlie
Dave_Darling
Pelican has a tech article on doing the replacement: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...anny_repair.htm

--DD
ThePaintedMan
Yup, really easy fix. Pull the cover off and inspect the 1st gear dog teeth. Mine were knackered, but I was able to get by for now by filing them and reinstalling it. Temporary fix, and the better solution is to find a new ring, but it'll get you back on the road for the meantime.
motorvated
Yes, until it pops out of first it tries to move the car. Doesn't sound like too bad of a repair. I guess it's back up on the jack stands again, but hopefully not for long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.