Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do all rear fender 6 conversion oil tanks take a 914/6 dipstick?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
Does anyone have a 6 conversion with an oil tank that doesn't take a 9146 dipstick?

I'm not 100% sure which oil tank my car has and a couple of years back I lost my dipstick while at ax. The 9146 dipstick I bought to replace it wouldn't fit so I ended up using a 66-71 911 dipstick instead.

Thinking about it, now I just put my engine back in and am trying to figure out how much oil it needs, the only reason I'm using that dipstick is because it fit. For all I know it might not even be the right one. I know the PMS oil tank takes a 9146 dipstick, but what about other aftermarket tanks? Anyone got one that takes a 911 dipstick?

porschetub
You must check what tank you have first ,I haven't been happy with my PMS filler dipstick combo on a stock tank cause I think their fabbed tank is larger...don't really know 100% on that but my tank full I have a low reading.
I do believe that the 914rubber dipstick is correct for stock tank and filler,the 911 dipstick is different because of the filler neck is for that cars tank.
More info most likely more answers.
mb911
Unfortunately all the aftermarket tanks mine included are a little larger then stock so they will read different then stock. Thats why its important to put thr 9 qts in start and run engine to operating temp anf mark the dipstick for reference.
GeorgeRud
Add in a front oil cooler and you really can't tell what the level should be. It might be interesting to see what the actual oil level measures over the engine position to determine what an appropriate level should be to create a safe reservoir to draw from.
mepstein
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 15 2017, 08:39 AM) *

Add in a front oil cooler and you really can't tell what the level should be. It might be interesting to see what the actual oil level measures over the engine position to determine what an appropriate level should be to create a safe reservoir to draw from.

I dont think the front cooler changes the oil level reading, just the volume of oil in the system.
mb911
My last conversion car with a vellius (spelling? ) and a front oil cooler took 13 qts.
john77
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 15 2017, 12:31 AM) *

You must check what tank you have first ,I haven't been happy with my PMS filler dipstick combo on a stock tank cause I think their fabbed tank is larger...don't really know 100% on that but my tank full I have a low reading.
I do believe that the 914rubber dipstick is correct for stock tank and filler,the 911 dipstick is different because of the filler neck is for that cars tank.

The 914/6 dipstick I tried, that didn't fit all the way into the filler neck, was the one from 914rubber. Although, you raise an interesting point, is it possible whoever installed the tank could have used a 911 filler neck and that's why the 911 dipstick fits? My car's at the shop right now so I'll get pictures as soon as I can.

I have a front oil cooler set up, which adds to the uncertainty. I can't just put in 9 quarts and start from that point as a reference.
mepstein
QUOTE(john77 @ May 15 2017, 11:59 AM) *

The 914/6 dipstick I tried, that didn't fit all the way into the filler neck, was the one from 914rubber. Although, you raise an interesting point, is it possible whoever installed the tank could have used a 911 filler neck and that's why the 911 dipstick fits? My car's at the shop right now so I'll get pictures as soon as I can.

I have a front oil cooler set up, which adds to the uncertainty. I can't just put in 9 quarts and start from that point as a reference.

I filled up my oil cooler 1/2 way before I tightened down the lines. I would put in 10 quarts total and start from there. Check the oil as the car warms and add as needed. You won't run it dry if you start off with 10 quarts of oil.
john77
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2017, 10:52 AM) *

I filled up my oil cooler 1/2 way before I tightened down the lines. I would put in 10 quarts total and start from there. Check the oil as the car warms and add as needed. You won't run it dry if you start off with 10 quarts of oil.

Thanks mepstein. I've put 10 quarts in so far, on top of whatever oil was left in the front cooler and after warming the engine up it's just showing on the tip of the dipstick (which may or may not be the correct dipstick, so... ). I haven't driven it yet though as, unbelievably, I can't find my damn muffler anywhere in my friends shop - they 'reorganized' a few months back and even though the shop's not that big the damn thing has vanished.

Which is worse for the engine, running on the low side or overfilling?
GeorgeRud
My conversion -6 with a 2.7 and front Turbotrol cooler takes 10 quarts at an oil change to get the warm idle level to the middle of the dipstick. Once you figure it out, measure how much is drained out at your next oil change.
mepstein
QUOTE(john77 @ May 15 2017, 04:36 PM) *

Thanks mepstein. I've put 10 quarts in so far, on top of whatever oil was left in the front cooler and after warming the engine up it's just showing on the tip of the dipstick (which may or may not be the correct dipstick, so... ). I haven't driven it yet though as, unbelievably, I can't find my damn muffler anywhere in my friends shop - they 'reorganized' a few months back and even though the shop's not that big the damn thing has vanished.

Overfilling.
Remember, your oil level will come up as the engine warms up. You always judge a 6 oil level when the engine is hot - not just warm from 5-10 minutes of idle - running and on level ground.
john77
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 15 2017, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(john77 @ May 15 2017, 04:36 PM) *

Overfilling.
Remember, your oil level will come up as the engine warms up. You always judge a 6 oil level when the engine is hot - not just warm from 5-10 minutes of idle - running and on level ground.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.
john77
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 15 2017, 01:55 PM) *

My conversion -6 with a 2.7 and front Turbotrol cooler takes 10 quarts at an oil change to get the warm idle level to the middle of the dipstick. Once you figure it out, measure how much is drained out at your next oil change.

Thanks George. My problem isn't so much the oil as the dipstick. If it's not the correct dipstick it's never going to tell me if I have the correct amount of oil. Unless all dipsticks are in a similar ball park, which would seem odd because, well, why have different dipsticks at all?

I'm pretty sure I used up my dipstick quota with that reply.
porschetub
just don't overfill,our motors don't really like it...ok.
Ok you should be fine ,if your level on the dipstick is middle line,after warming the engine all is good,seems to be a lot of different takes on oil levels appears having a front cooler adds more, no extra thinking required there but how much who can say ? IMO thinking maybe 1 litre but could be more due to cooler and oil line size ?
Stock 914/6 is 7 litres but appears many folks run a bit more tends to confuse me but I run a little more due to large oil lines on my 2.2.
Really need more "six owners" to chime in eh confused24.gif .
r_towle
When he says check it hot, he means hot.
My 911 shows nothing or just on the tip when cold.
Hot is a big difference in volume.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.