Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifter bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
I am in the garage right now and the main shifter bushing (the one that is in the firewall) is kicking my ass.
I heated up some water and soaked it to soften it up, but the shit is not going in there...I have tried using two screwdrivers.... and a deep well socket and light ly tapping it...any help would be appreciated greatly.
flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
Joe
BIGKAT_83
You do have the main shift rod out? If not take it out and bushing taps right in.

Bob
chilli
beerchug.gif It has been awhile since I did mine, but from old memory, I remember that it was real pain is the butt. I do remember that to use a very good silicone like lubricant, started one side of it then 'hammered" it in.

Hope this helps,

mike driving.gif
Red-Beard
I pounded the last one in and that worked fine. On my 1971, since I installed it with the rod in place, I cut the bushing in 1/2 and installed the top, then the bottom. Worked great.
d7n7master
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ May 10 2005, 03:56 PM)
You do have the main shift rod out? If not take it out and bushing taps right in.

Bob

...add a wooden block. Place the firewall bushing in the hole. Square it up. Grab the wooden block Place it against the bushing. Hold in place with all of your fingers & thumbz away from where you are about to HIT with BFH. (Big f hammer). Your done. beerchug.gif
Allan
I didn't really have a problem putting mine in. Tried the block and hammer method and that didn't work. Just warmed it up real good and pushed it in. I had to heat it until it was soft enough to deform.
phantom914
I used a large socket on the inside of the car, large enough to fit around the lip around the hole. I passed a long carriage bolt through the socket, the hole in the firewall and through the bushing, put a fender washer and then a nut on (the washer and nut are on the engine side of the fire wall) and tightened the nut to press the bushing in.

Andrew
Joseph Mills
I think all of these suggestions should go in a thread entitled "Tips and procedures not found in the Haynes manual." Or something like that.

The following was suggested by a long time porsche mechanic. I tried it and it worked great.

Make a sharp diagonal cut thru the bushing. Stick the sharp end in the hole and just twist it in. If it resists at all, a light tap will inch it in. took about one minute to install.

Now the shifter boot that covers that mess is a bit tougher. Getting the boot seated all the way around that narrow ass lip is a pain.

My friend Craig (Cametal) showed me a good trick he discovered. Hook the top side over the lip. Then insert your finger inside from the other end of the boot (towards the tranny) and locate the rim of the boot from inside and push it over the retaining lip a bit at a time. Combine a handful of profanity and a few minutes of your time and it's done. biggrin.gif The other end of the boot slips in place very easily.

In fact, I did this one just a few hours ago after installing my new clutch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.