Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 Flywheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
paintracer1
I bought the Kennedy conversion flywheel to use a 901-914 trans on my 2.7/6 cylinder engine. When i bolted it up to my engine i could not turn the engine over. The flywheel is rubbing the the case halves where the two bottom case bolts are-( I'll call it the webbing of the case. Has anyone eles had this problem? or yes its a very tight clearence between the flywheel and case. I filed the case down a little- made it flat instead of being curved seems to be working with out taking to much material off. Any insight into this would be appreciated. Thanks
Mark Henry
Best to phone KEP and get their opinion.
If it's a common issue they know about it.
Steve
I used a stock 2.0 six flywheel on my 2.7s motor with carbs and headers. Never had a problem with clutch slippage or longevity issues. Stock clutch is easier and smoother to press than the 228mm stage 2 kep bus clutch. I dragged race this motor on the avenue and countless auto crosses. Never had a problem. I don't condone drag racing on the avenue, but I was much younger and stupid in the 80's. Loved beating 911's and old vettes on the street. They loved picking on 914's. Six conversions in the 80's were rare.

I agree though.. call kep. Great customer service. I used there adapter ring on my 3.2 with there stage 2 clutch. Never tried there whole flywheel
db9146
Really? I had this exact same problem I experienced with my set-up ('74 911S engine with their 228MM Stage 1 bus kit) at the end of last year. I backed off on the bolts until I could turn the engine over and then rotated it several times. Then I took it off, marked the areas on the back of the flywheel and took photos of the back of the engine and flywheel, emailed the photos, and called them. After discussing it, I sent the flywheel back to them for further machining. When I got it back, it fit properly. I thought they were going to correct the problem but I guess they haven't.

Actually, they had to machine a second one for me because the original one that they machined and sent to me got "lost in the mail" so they had to make me a second one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.