Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello All - This is the newest member in the garage - 1973 2.0 Sepia Brown
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
KeithVonLaws
Hello Friends ,

I wanted to share my latest find.
A few weeks ago I received a call from a guy named Daryl. He called to offer me a chance to buy his 914. Daryl had owned this car since 1984. He bought it when he was in college and had some work done to fix some very light accident damage in 1985. In the process he had the car repainted the original Sepia Brown it does have paint code 98. The car was never finished and has sat since 1985 .... It had not been moved from where it was sitting since 1989 when Daryl built his new house. Life got in the way for Daryl .....The car was not a priority . I just happened to be the lucky guy he called first.

Well , after talking to Daryl about the car I could not wait to make the trip up to Saline Michigan. He said he was told it had a 2.0.... And by now I was very enthusiastic about seeing it. Turns out the car was everything I had hoped for. It is a nice solid car with the optional equipment group items. Including sway bars - 2.0 engine etc...needless to say - I bought it. I am currently making progress cleaning and detailing the car and getting it ready to try and start. I will keep you all posted.... Thats Daryl in the Photo... Once I have the car driving again I am going to take him to Cars and coffee up near his home.
Keith
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
PlantMan
Fantastic find!
welcome.png
enf2232
Look forward to seeing it on the road someday.
74ravenna
Damn, how do i get on this list to get calls? The only list i'm on is the "do not call list"?
Looks like Daryl was finding time to do some cycling, that can eat up some time.

Nice car!
Tom_T
Nice find Keith!

You'll want to run back & get those original Fuchs 2L wheels on it in the 1st pic, if you didn't get them with the car, since they were part of the Appearance & Performance Groups' options (AG/PG) - even if you stick with the Minilites for driving fun.

If it's an early build 73 2L Aug 72 up to a build date of about Jan-Mar 73, then it would've been the "914S" trim package including both the AG & PG; if later then it was more common to see the lower contented 2Ls.

It's missing the rear engine size badge, which may have happened in the accident repair/repaint.

The only way you can verify if it was a factory 2.0 at this point, will be either from the original window sticker & sales documents - then look up the 6-digit model number at the link below; or else to get a COA from PCNA & they'll want a pic of the engine case no. sent to them to confirm it's a true factory 2.0 (vs. a converted 1.7).

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

That Sepia color as a customer option 98 code for other Porsche Colors isn't unheard of - there are few nice ones around - but not super common either, so well worth maintaining it as the color.

If it had the AG as a 73 2L, then it would also have had the black pebble-pattern vinyl on the sails with the lower chrome & back-of-sail & rollbar trim pieces (I think I see the holes on the sail lowers in the pix), so hopefully you got those parts in the deal too (all but the big rear rollbar one are still available, but pricey).

I've also always been told since back-in-the-day to not tow 914s backwards, cuz it can push the rear window out. I'd always recco a flat trailer from UHaul/etc., or a flat bed truck if you're using your AAA service etc.

Cool Deal! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KeithVonLaws
Thanks everyone.....

The car still has the Fuchs. I needed better rubber for the tow home. I usually use a a trailer for this but did not have one available. The engine appears to be the original. the dates and engine numbers line up well and the car has pretty good history. Here are a few more photos of it since I have it at home now.
IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image
Frankvw
Yeah..another 98-code 914 !! Welcome.
Looking forward to see future updates. Have fun !
EdwardBlume
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
Dtjaden
Great find. I had a 76 in Sepia Brown back in the day! Wish I still had that one.
porschetub
I really think that paint will come up nice,is it rare this colour...like special order ?.
Good luck getting it running .
914-300Hemi
Nice looking car. Good luck getting it running but from the pictures you already have experience with these teeners.
Camaro Mike
Great find, congrats!
Tom_T
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 27 2017, 06:24 PM) *

I really think that paint will come up nice,is it rare this colour...like special order ?.
Good luck getting it running .

Yes, the 98 on the Karmann plate means it's a special order from any of the Porsche colors up to that production date. Sepia was on quite a few 911/912s of the era.

A 99 is a special order for any other "paint to sample" color.

Unfortunately, the COAs & original invoice & window stickers rarely if ever give the actual color ordered.

I agree with you too, that the paint looks saveable, especially since the PO never finished the resto to put it back on the road, according to his back-story.

Cheers Mate! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Shadowfax
Nice car! Love the color. Gonna keep it stock?
KeithVonLaws
Yes this one is staying stock... I have a signal orange 74 that I am building into my "FUN" car..... Its going to get 6'd.... But without flares.
Its an original 2.0 too....
iwanta914-6
Is it odd for a 73 2.0L to not have sail vinyl?
914Sixer
Early rear bumper?
whitetwinturbo
So funny that this color stromberg.gif was WAY uncool for so and now it is "hot" ... so to speak idea.gif
gms
Congratulations on a great find.
That brown is really starting to growing on me (after seeing the one at Garold's house)
Chris H.
agree.gif Totally. Save that paint! I bet it's harder to match than it looks. Buff it out and enjoy it as is!
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 28 2017, 04:44 PM) *

Early rear bumper?

Nope, looks like a late bumper ...
shades.gif
KeithVonLaws
I will leave the paint as it is...maybe a polish but thats it.
I am working on replacing fuel delivery items right now.
I have installed a new fuel pump....
9fourteen14
QUOTE(KeithVonLaws @ May 27 2017, 05:14 PM) *

Hello Friends ,

I wanted to share my latest find.
A few weeks ago I received a call from a guy named Daryl. He called to offer me a chance to buy his 914. Daryl had owned this car since 1984. He bought it when he was in college and had some work done to fix some very light accident damage in 1985. In the process he had the car repainted the original Sepia Brown it does have paint code 98. The car was never finished and has sat since 1985 .... It had not been moved from where it was sitting since 1989 when Daryl built his new house. Life got in the way for Daryl .....The car was not a priority . I just happened to be the lucky guy he called first.

Well , after talking to Daryl about the car I could not wait to make the trip up to Saline Michigan. He said he was told it had a 2.0.... And by now I was very enthusiastic about seeing it. Turns out the car was everything I had hoped for. It is a nice solid car with the optional equipment group items. Including sway bars - 2.0 engine etc...needless to say - I bought it. I am currently making progress cleaning and detailing the car and getting it ready to try and start. I will keep you all posted.... Thats Daryl in the Photo... Once I have the car driving again I am going to take him to Cars and coffee up near his home.
Keith

Keith,
I love the color.
it is really special..

good luck with it

914 luva
IPB Image
IPB Image

SKL1
Saw a lot of 911's back in the day in sepia brown but never a 914- didn't know it was an option.

Should be a fun project.
Cairo94507
My first 914, back in '73, was a brand new Sepia Brown 914 2.0 fully loaded. Terrific car. Good luck. beerchug.gif
KeithVonLaws
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 31 2017, 07:27 PM) *

My first 914, back in '73, was a brand new Sepia Brown 914 2.0 fully loaded. Terrific car. Good luck. beerchug.gif

Sweet.....I wish I had more info about where the car was from before 1985.... There were a few brown cars built but they seem to be somewhat rare. I have 10 914's and this is the second best car Ii have found in terms of quality and rarity. I like it a lot.
Tom_T
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ May 28 2017, 04:20 PM) *

Is it odd for a 73 2.0L to not have sail vinyl?

Not if it was the later "Sport" version like Dave K's., without the Appearance Group (P+A & VoA NA brought it out to keep the advertised price for a 2L low as the price rose with WGDM vs. Dollar escalation in `73).

It looks like this one had the sail vinyl, based on what appears to be holes for the loweer chrome trim piece along the lower sail to rear fender belt-line (see pic below).

.... & I hope that this does not kick off another 914world "orifice hunt"! dry.gif

IPB Image

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 28 2017, 04:44 PM) *

Early rear bumper?

It looks like a round cornered early 71-73 rear bumper to me MarK ... & not the earlier '70+/- MY sharp cornered one.

IPB Image

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
LOL - I just noticed the CoCo mats in yours - I think those are the same color, brand & type Coco Mats that I had in my `73 2.0 for a decade 75-85 (& still have them in a parts box now). laugh.gif

IPB Image

Good Luck on the resurrection Keith! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KeithVonLaws
Thanks again everyone. I have finally attempted to start the car... It does start with W.O.T. but ran very poorly. After some testing I found that the CHT sensor was way out of specs. I have changed it but I am also adding new fuel injectors at the same time. The thing that was strange to me when working on the car was the resistor that I found inline with the CHT sensor. It was a 270 Ohm resistor and it was reading nearly 20 MegaOhms.... and the sensor itself was at 19 K Ohms. I have installed the new CHT sensor and hope to have the injectors back in it tonight. This bad sensor will make the ECM think it is -40 degrees F ....Thus the overly rich mixture...
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
Tom_T
QUOTE(KeithVonLaws @ Jun 8 2017, 03:37 PM) *

Thanks again everyone. I have finally attempted to start the car... It does start with W.O.T. but ran very poorly. After some testing I found that the CHT sensor was way out of specs. I have changed it but I am also adding new fuel injectors at the same time. The thing that was strange to me when working on the car was the resistor that I found inline with the CHT sensor. It was a 270 Ohm resistor and it was reading nearly 20 MegaOhms.... and the sensor itself was at 19 K Ohms. I have installed the new CHT sensor and hope to have the injectors back in it tonight. This bad sensor will make the ECM think it is -40 degrees F ....Thus the overly rich mixture...
IPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image

Keith, the 73 2Ls came with both the -037 CHT + inline resistor (IIRC 74> changed CHT to -12 & deleted the resistor).

I think that Brad Mayeur at 914 LTD near you in Peoria IL has some of the NOS resistors & -037 CHT (if that one is bad), as well as the CHT spacer some use to "adjust" the ECU's reading of the temp (usually when substituting the -012). Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City CA &/or George at AutoAtlanta are other possible sources for them.

My long time Porsche Tech who was factory trained on 914s back in the day, is religious about keeping all of the EFI components matched to the MY & motor size (except when a factory/OEM direct interchangeable part) - which is usually -037 for most of the EFI parts in the 73 2Ls, & green top 2.0 injectors (the 3 above also may still have some NOS "greenies" too - if needed). I trust him implicitly, aside from others' contrary advice on here.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KeithVonLaws
I just discovered today that the Brown 1973 that was on Ebay last week was the car built right after mine.... One VIN digit apart. Really amazing to see a sister car like that.
pete-stevers
That looks like an awesome find, I dig the color! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(KeithVonLaws @ Jun 21 2017, 06:57 PM) *

I just discovered today that the Brown 1973 that was on Ebay last week was the car built right after mine.... One VIN digit apart. Really amazing to see a sister car like that.

Keith,

Since that was a 98 Special Order color, it makes sense that they'd have grouped several of them together to run thru the paint booth at the Karmann Plant at the same time. That's often why you have a longer wait for special order colors even today.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KeithVonLaws
Making progress.... Last weekend my son Colin and I drove the car about 5 miles. I was reluctant to go any further on the old tires. It feels great to say that the engine ran very well and the trans shifted like it should.
That being said I have started to wet sand and buff the hood as well as cleaning and detailing the trunk areas and interior. I had removed the interior except for the dash and cleaned , cleaned , cleaned. I also glued the carpets and vinyl pieces back in cleaned all of the weatherstrips etc.... I love the factory LE front spoilers so I added that also. I am waiting for a rubber front bumper pad... My new tires were delivered today... I will try to get some video on the next drive... biggrin.gif IPB Image

Frankvw
Keith, that cleaning exercise really helped. Looking good !!!
So, next on the list is new tires and a longer drive ? Enjoy !
KeithVonLaws
I will save the paint... I am really excited to drive the car a bit but I may be selling it soon because. I found a 1973 911 that is for sale from the original owner..... The new tires are here and will be installed on monday..... I wish I had a couple of GO PRO cameras to video a test drive. I live on the Maumee river here in Ohio and would love to create a test drive video.....
KeithVonLaws
The progress continues. I have wet sanded and buffed the entire car. getting the wheels detailed a bit. Overall just a lot of elbow grease. I am really happy with the way the paint has held up. I plan to have her on the road next week...
http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p482/k...zpsjao09lvz.jpg
IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
TravisNeff
What a great transformation. Must feel great that it was just some elbow grease!
KeithVonLaws
It has been much easier than most. But it has been about 300 hours of work getting it here.
KeithVonLaws
I also have found that the car was sold at John Stein motors. Wilmington Delaware... It still has an original oil change sticker in the door jamb... My PCA is also on the way.... beerchug.gif
KeithVonLaws
Ooooops!!! I made a double post. Haha
Had to edit it out.
Tom_T
Geez Keith - that just looks Bichen! piratenanner.gif first.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KeithVonLaws
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 1 2017, 07:39 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom
I even fixed the drivers side Cocoa floor mat ... the rubber heel pad was curling up so I warmed it up with my heat gun and then hand sewed the corners back down. So far the car is turning out as good as I hoped.
Tom_T
QUOTE(KeithVonLaws @ Jul 1 2017, 05:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 1 2017, 07:39 PM) *

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks Tom
I even fixed the drivers side Cocoa floor mat ... the rubber heel pad was curling up so I warmed it up with my heat gun and then hand sewed the corners back down. So far the car is turning out as good as I hoped.

Kieth,

If you were in SoCal I'd encourage you to enter it in our local Zone 8 Concours Series, but I still say enter some in your area.

Since it's 75% or more original paint & interior, it is eligible for Preservation Division (or similar), & would probably do very well if fully prep'ed & detailed!

Happy 4th! beerchug.gif flag.gif
Tom
///////
KeithVonLaws
Always dreamed of so cal.... I am a supervisor at a public transportation garage... I doubt if I could live the way I do out there in so cal.... I would have to open my own garage. Its a pipe dream to be on the west coast. Maybe Colorado... Then I would be close enuogh.
Krieger
Wow, that car looks really good! That is amazing that you found the sister car and it's alive!
KeithVonLaws
I was really surprised that the sister car was on ebay. I contacted the seller and his story was amazing too. His car was a one owner from new... My car has had 3 or so before me but it was stored inside since 1986. There are only a handful of Sepia Brown 914's still around and the fact 2 survivors were found at the same time is very amazing.....
PlaysWithCars
Not a fan at all of sepia brown 911s, but I have to admit that on a 914 its quite attractive. Nice find!
Dion
Car looks fantastic Keith. Beautiful work. Wow.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.