Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Charcoal Canister install help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
So one of the parts I got with my 2.7L engine is the charcoal canister and I was wondering just where and how it should be installed? This was in a 914 before, anyone have a picture?

Doug C
lapuwali
It goes on top of the fuel tank, driver's side. If your 2.7 has carbs, there's no point, so just leave it off. If it has CIS, there will be a large-ish fitting on the airbox for it.
DougC
Yes, it has a CIS system..so mount it on top of the fuel tank then a rubber hose runs back to the airbox and I guess the other side of the canister connects to the fuel tank some how? I don't have an expansion tank on top of the fuel-tank, does that matter?

Doug C
Rand
I installed mine in the trash can. Plug the hoses or connect them into a loop. Lose the weight and the 30 year-old piece of charcoal that doesn't do anything useful anymore (especially if you are smog-exempt). Just MHO.
Eric_Shea
Randy beat me to it.

My -6 had it installed on the tank top. Picture below. Gint's six had the line holes welded up at the factory and no filter... very interesting.
Rand
I don't have an expansion tank on top of the fuel-tank, does that matter?

I'd be interested in some feedback on this. How necessary is the expansion tank? What's different that makes it necessary in a 914 compared to other cars? What would be needed to compensate for it's absence?
Ferg
Doug,
FWIW, when it was in my car it was in the engine bay. I'll look up some old pics and see if I can find any that help... If I remember it was attached to the inner trunk wall by the engine latch (to the right) via clamp.
Ferg.
DougC
Thanks Ferg, my car is pre-smog so I may just put it on the shelf and see if I have harsh fuel fumes in the cabin..if not I'll leave it on the shelf.

Doug C
Eric_Shea
I'd be interested in some feedback on this. How necessary is the expansion tank? What's different that makes it necessary in a 914 compared to other cars? What would be needed to compensate for it's absence?

Beats me... I don't see the need. Mine's not getting one. I put the GT cap and 100mm filler neck on and left the expansion tank off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.