Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front wheel bearing get loose too often
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Happy Memorial Day.....my wheel bearings seem to loosen up far too often. I replaced less than 30,000 miles ago and when i tighten them back up I allow wheel to spin freely but with a touch of drag. Any thoughts on what is going on? Thank you!
g
toolguy
Ft wheel bearing should be the most maintenance free item on your car. . really can't loosen up except for ball / race wear or if the pinch nut wasn't tightened properly .
Since you said you replaced the bearings recently, how sure are you that you fully seated the new inner race. . . ?? that's the 1st place to look. . then clean the bearings and look for obvious wear. . do both side do the same
second wind
Please discuss "pinch nut tightened properly". Maybe I am not tightening against the bearing enough? Thank you very much!
gg
Dave_Darling
The front wheel bearings will loosen up with hard use. We used to see that all the time at autocrosses--about once a season, the 914s would need their front wheel bearings re-tightened.

The spec for the bearings is literally "tight enough that the washer behind the nut can just barely be moved with the tip of a screwdriver."

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.