Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: got zoomed and my car was parked
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scotty914
today i was talking to a new snobby neighbor, well his bmw suv got dinged and it was in the shop. i was talking to him about the 914 and said when i was in cali i was playing with 911 and they where getting passed on the track. when i said this his ride showed up in a new 911 ( not sure of year or model ) and i said if i was not having issues with my car i would go play with him. well his buddy heard this and as he was pulling away he was reving his motor to 5k or so just so i could "hear it "

nothing like not even starting the car and making a 911 owners penis shrink
Dr. Roger
I'm so proud of being a 914 owner. ohmy.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif smile.gif cool.gif laugh.gif

I'm not so ego driven as much as I just want the best handling, lightest car to put my motor in.

Great story.
Rob14
Threads like this make me ashamed of being a 914 owner.

You guys really think this way?

-Rob
'76 914 2.0L
'80 911 SC

redshift
I washed all the shit off my car the other day, and there was a group of three cute 17-18-19 year old girls washing a car in the stall next to me.

They kept looking around the corner, one at a time, then I look up, and they are all standing there.

I smiled, and said, '..and the top comes off..".. and they giggled, and said, 'Really!?"..

It's alot of fun owning a 914.

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ May 12 2005, 03:50 PM)
I washed all the shit off my car the other day, and there was a group of three cute 17-18-19 year old girls washing a car in the stall next to me.

They kept looking around the corner, one at a time, then I look up, and they are all standing there.

I smiled, and said, '..and the top comes off..".. and they giggled, and said, 'Really!?"..

It's alot of fun owning a 914.

M

careful there Miles, they sound a little young... you know the rules...

18 is legal
17 with consent
16 with a note
15 if her dad is in the room...

wink.gif laugh.gif

-David Spade
JoeSharp
Rob: First welcome to the Garage.
Second, no we are not. Try this for an attitude test.
Take the 911 out for a drive and wave at all Porsches (including those made by VW).
Now do the samething in your teener.
I personaly wave at all Porsches no matter what car I'm in.
Lots more laughs that way.
Carerror has been buzzed 3 times.
I'm not a button pusher but it sure feels good to see someone with money flustered just cuse I'm there.
Check my blog.
biggrin.gif Joe
Rand
and the top comes off

So did you rip your shirt off to demonstrate?
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Rob14 @ May 12 2005, 02:42 PM)

-Rob
'76 914 2.0L
'80 911 SC

Now that is a great 1st post. finger.gif laugh.gif

Take a deep breath, unbunch your panties. We joke alot around here dood. It is a natural reaction to the NARP inferiority complex. w00t.gif beerchug.gif
Andyrew
I love it when girls are checking out my car... I just wait for the oportune moment to say.. "Now, I think i'll take my top off"

I was getting in my car to go home from work, and there was a bunch of teenagers (keep in mind im 18..) looking at a car from a distance... One of them asked "what kind of engine is in that thing?"
"350"
"OOOOOOHHHHHHH" in the gansta fashion...
they all gathered around the car... At this point I started it and let it idle.
One of them asked to see the engine and they all agree'd.. Still sitting in the car, I popped the lid, Another loud "OOOOHH" arose... this went on for 5 mins....
Some of them wanted to go at it, and I said that i only race on the track.
biggrin.gif

I love my car.
redshift
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 12 2005, 05:08 PM)
careful there Miles, they sound a little young... you know the rules...

18 is legal
17 with consent
16 with a note
15 if her dad is in the room...

wink.gif laugh.gif

-David Spade

Oh I don't have sex anymore.

M
sportlicherFahrer
Yep, the top comes off line is great, but not as great as all the looks you get when you stop at a light and take it off in traffic! biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Miles, how long did it take to realize that your zipper was down and that's what they were giggling at. rolleyes.gif
tat2dphreak
Chris is right, our sense of humor comes from the cheap beer and nachos... can't afford wine and real cheese laugh.gif

Mr. Thatcher has had to set several people straight with his car... what was it the guy are the Porsche dealership said to you Scott? wasn't it something like "you ruined a good VW by putting that engine(scoobie) in" ? dry.gif

relax, it's all in good fun!
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 12 2005, 04:16 PM)
Miles, how long did it take to realize that your zipper was down and that's what they were giggling at. rolleyes.gif

no,no... they just wanted to know if the goat was going to get a bath while he was there... biggrin.gif

Oh I don't have sex anymore.

M

oh, you're married too? sad.gif

I'm sorry
redshift
unsure.gif

I was wearing a pink speedo, over yellow bike shorts..

tdgray
QUOTE (Andyrew @ May 12 2005, 05:12 PM)
I love it when girls are checking out my car... I just wait for the oportune moment to say.. "Now, I think i'll take my top off"

Ahhhh youth dry.gif

Don't you know thats the time to say. I'll take mine off if you take yours off. biggrin.gif

mgw.gif
Mueller
some of 911 bashing I see as joking, and some of it I see as the 914 owner having a napoleon complex biggrin.gif

as to the "wave" or "blink" even in my 911 it's a rare occasion by another 911 driver...
Eric_Shea
Hang in there gang... there will come a day when you'll all be wishing they (the Porsche community) would bounce us back into obscurity. Teeners are already approaching a $6-7k "average" for a good car.

I love my taildragger.
I love my teener.

A lot of 911 guys can be... well, different (not all, there's a bunch of good ones... look for good). If you look at the reasons for purchasing a said Porsche automobile the reasons would be different. I think this "fundamental" is what creates the gap. This is a group that basically likes to work on their own cars and has many "issues" to deal with. We take humility lessons daily (often from one another). biggrin.gif

Porsches are very cool cars... check your "Napoleon Complex" and your "Ego" at the door and let's have a brew beerchug.gif
scotty914
well first of all i never said i could beat his car, just said i could play and there were 911 being passed on the "track" by 914s. i just think he needed to prove his modern water cooled was better than my 30 YO porsche at least he thinks his sounds better. little does he know i have a modern water pumper too.

rob, its not about 914 vrs 911 its not about cars at all it is about the attitude. the guy decided he had something to prove instead of saying something like it needs a paint job, or damn what year. this guy bought his car for the little dick syndrom because he wanted his impressive car, it could be a 57 t bird and i would look at it the same way but he wanted his PORSCHA. and the fact that he thought i was insulting his car he HAD to prove it was better is not my fault
Reiche
Yes, the NARP complex. Here's my most recent story:

Went out with a bunch of strangers for a mutual friend's birthday. One of the guys there drives a nice 911SC. Our mutual friend mentioned (in hopes of starting a conversation) that I and my brother are into Porsches. He asks what kind, she says "914."

End of conversation.

Good thing she didn't say anything to the Boxster owner who showed up later.
Eric_Shea
Good thing she didn't say anything to the Boxster owner who showed up later.

Why? He/She may have been a hoot... confused24.gif

One bad apple...
Allan
QUOTE (Rob14 @ May 12 2005, 01:42 PM)

Sell it.
Reiche
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 12 2005, 03:46 PM)
Why? He/She may have been a hoot... confused24.gif

One bad apple...

Actually, he was pretty cool, but 914s never came up. He passed me on the road the other day (happens a lot in my diesel Benz) and waved.
anthony
I haven't seen that ever happen at a Bay Area 914 gathering.

and there were 911 being passed on the "track" by 914s.

That is more a function of driver and car preparation. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the 914 is something that is it not.

brant
QUOTE (anthony @ May 12 2005, 04:17 PM)
and there were 911 being passed on the "track" by 914s.

That is more a function of driver and car preparation. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the 914 is something that is it not.

Sorry I love the 914...
but I've got to agree with anthony on this one.

A 911 can be FAST.
A 911 can kick a 914's butt... and vica versa depending on size of motor and driver skill

yet I still sold my 911 to fund my 914 because that is the one I like most (and could not afford both)

I didn't do it because the 914 was faster.

brant
scotty914
well first i need to say...i never said the 914 is better than a 914... i said they were passing 911's but there were some very fast and powerful 914s that day.
redshift
My space shuttle is bigger than your's.

M
iamchappy
Last night I spoke to a 911 owner in the church parking lot, I approached him and said nice things about his light blue metallic SC a very beautiful car with the turbo look and he started telling me how he has been tracking the car with the local club. As we spoke he pointed out to me some cold start problems he was having and I started making suggestions to the cause and fix to his problem, He responded how do you know about Porsches, I told him I have a 914 with a turbocharged engine like his in it, His jaw just about dropped he didnt know much about 914s other than he knew my car is lighter and must be a monster.
We exchanged business cards and I had an email from him this morning.
I think 911 owners get it. Newbies dont.
anthony
As we all know there are many different types of Porsche owers. There are the DIY types, there are the track types, the AX types, the concours types, and then there are the types that bought their car because it's a status symbol and the only PCA events they do are the 'how to wax your car' tech session and the wine country tour. By and large though the Porsche snobs are far outnumbered especially if you are talking about aircooled Porsches. Newer Porsches will obviously attract a much different crowd that has a lot of money.

Go read the 911 Bird board if you want to see a bunch of hard core DIYers and track junkies. The high degree of technical knowledge there is amazing.

redshift
One other type...

The kind that has someone else do the mechanical stuff, and just uses their car to drive everywhere.

M
black73
Can someone explain to me what this is all about? It seems 911 owner hate 914s. 914 owners hate 944s etc. But mustang guys are Ford loyal all the way. Vette owners are chevy to the bone. Porsche owners are the only ones I know that act this way. Who cares which one is the "best", they are all great!
xsboost90
no- ford owners hate mustang 2's and 911 guys hate 944's unless its for a beater and 914 guys hate rust...
redshift
I care which one is best.

smilie_pokal.gif

I am best!

M
bd1308
QUOTE (redshift @ May 12 2005, 07:23 PM)
One other type...

The kind that has someone else do the mechanical stuff, and just uses their car to drive everywhere.

M

is that in reference to me ?????? dry.gif
Hammy
QUOTE (black73 @ May 12 2005, 06:35 PM)
Can someone explain to me what this is all about? It seems 911 owner hate 914s. 914 owners hate 944s etc. But mustang guys are Ford loyal all the way. Vette owners are chevy to the bone. Porsche owners are the only ones I know that act this way. Who cares which one is the "best", they are all great!

agree.gif smile.gif I like em all.
Andyrew
914 owners hate 944's??

oh, your just generalizing...

Wait... 914 owners hate 944's??

Brando
the NARP syndrome is predominant in people who actually KNOW what other models Porsche made (read: rich old-old fogies). Those who apprecieate the off-production Porsches probably owned a few smile.gif

Ron Snellgrow is one such guy in this area. Owns a 356 B Coupe. Owned a 73 914 and a 78 911SC. Now he just has his volvo and his 356... flashes, waves and flags down any other P-car he sees to shoot the breeze.
Toast
QUOTE (Rob14 @ May 12 2005, 01:42 PM)

-Rob
'76 914 2.0L
'80 911 SC

Thats a nice way to welcome yourself to the club. huh.gif

Welcome to the club! beerchug.gif

.........unless your Alfred. alfred.gif

I wave to other Porsche owners, but they dont wave back. dry.gif
Leo Imperial
Being new to the bay area and a first time 914 owner (finally smilie_pokal.gif ) I went to a local posche shop looking for parts. The guy came out to look at my 914 and proceeded to enlighten me. "The car is in really good shape, but it's only a four. You should sell it before you waste any more money. Here is a 911 I will sell to you for a song $8500, before I put it on ebay tomorrow. How much do you have for a deposit?"
The 911 is still there and that was 6 months ago.
I love all porsches and it took me nearly 10 years to get a 914. This was my passion.
As far as the shop I went to I wont bash...S-Cargo in Marin...Asshole finger.gif
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (Leo Imperial @ May 12 2005, 11:31 PM)
Being new to the bay area and a first time 914 owner (finally smilie_pokal.gif ) I went to a local posche shop looking for parts. The guy came out to look at my 914 and proceeded to enlighten me. "The car is in really good shape, but it's only a four. You should sell it before you waste any more money. Here is a 911 I will sell to you for a song $8500, before I put it on ebay tomorrow. How much do you have for a deposit?"
The 911 is still there and that was 6 months ago.
I love all porsches and it took me nearly 10 years to get a 914. This was my passion.
As far as the shop I went to I wont bash...S-Cargo in Marin...Asshole finger.gif

Rob, Rob, Rob..... dry.gif

Hey Leo, pleasure to meet another local.

I've lived in Richmond twice. My first house was in the Annex off Central Ave. Then, before I bought this place, I rented out at "the Point".

I try to avoid Marin. I had a Maserati Biturbo (lemon alert-lemon alert) and welll....... I just don't want to think about the mechanic I found over there.... It's all good now. biggrin.gif

there's a dude selling his teen in Marin right now. He posted it on craigslist for a long time, Big price. Then he discovered 914club. His price has dropped drastically after a reality check.

Love to see your ride if you've got pics???
LuckieO
I own a 911 and I am sad to say that 911 guys are often pricks. I think that the love of the car, the love for the men who created the VW and then the Porsche , is not really there with many of the people who own 911s, 993s, 996s and the like. It is more about the prestige of owning a Porsche. Obviously, there are many exceptions to the rule as well. But, I will say that the people that I met at the WCC, people who own all different types of Porsches, were a really great group. Really, just a bunch of people having fun with some of the best cars on the planet!

I will quote "Wow, this is nothing like any PCA event I have ever been to!"

No offense to the PCA, but I have never met so many great people at one Porsche gathering!

And oh, how I do love the 951...
meares
i drove my dad's 964 for a year and a half and the one thing i noticed is that the folks driving the newer porsches didn't wave, flick the high beams, nothing!!!! the people in the older "purist/enthusiasts" cars waved or knew to flick the high beams....it's really disenchanting to see some people buying the mark as a status symbol and not as emotional heart-felt purchase! but, i guess i have a weird view of porsches
bd1308
hell...I even wave to the VW folks,, adn they flash thier lights and wave....the jeep people waved to each other(when i had one)
rick 918-S
Taildraggers make great parts cars for our conversions.
bd1308
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ May 13 2005, 02:43 PM)
Taildraggers make great parts cars for our conversions.

agreed
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 13 2005, 03:42 PM)
hell...I even wave to the VW folks,, adn they flash thier lights and wave....the jeep people waved to each other(when i had one)

the VW folk always wave! and old P-car guys seem to be much more friendly... boxter people really don't realize what the 914 is... a boxter guy at a gas station asked if it was an alpha spider? blink.gif

when I was driving my teener, interestingly enough, I always got a thumb-up from Harley guys too.... they just like a car that's as loud as them(old car had a monza, it was obsene)!
beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
My daily driver is a MBZ 240D from 1975. I am all obout the status symbol rolleyes.gif

I agree, it is sad that more 911 guys are not cool. The only 911 guys that I have met and liked owned 914s.
anthony
.it's really disenchanting to see some people buying the mark as a status symbol and not as emotional heart-felt purchase! but, i guess i have a weird view of porsches

Why do you guys care? IMO, a new water pumping Porsche barely qualifies as a Porsche anyway. A new 997 costs $90K+ out the door - what kind of people do you think are going to buy those cars?

jd74914
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ May 13 2005, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ May 13 2005, 03:42 PM)

the VW folk always wave! and old P-car guys seem to be much more friendly... boxter people really don't realize what the 914 is... a boxter guy at a gas station asked if it was an alpha spider? blink.gif

agree.gif Many boxster people don't really seem to recognize classic porsches (I've seen some who had never heard of the 356)
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Sammy @ May 12 2005, 03:02 PM)
I hang out with 914 owners, and 911 owners as well. For the most part they are no different. Some are cool, some are not, but they all love cars.

The exception to that is:
when I go to lunch or whatever with a bunch of 911 guys, they all throw money in when the bill comes and there is too much so the extra has to be divided up and returned.

When I go out with a bunch of 914 guys, the one who gets stuck with the check counts up the money and it's $50 short and he has to cover it. I've seen both scenarios three times that I can think of right now, twice the guy who got nailed with the bill and had to pay the difference is someone on this board (at Chilis and hooters). I won't name names, but the good guys' initials are Brad and Skline.
They paid the bills and didn't bitch cause they are like that. Me? I'da bitched til the cows came home.

I learned that when going to a social function with a bunch of 914'ers, always ask for seperate checks wink.gif beerchug.gif

Add me....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.