Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2018 or 1st semi annual PNW gathering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
I'd like to step up to organize another WCR for this next year. We have a really great venue that has lots of parking and private bars. Even a movie theater!

https://www.mcmenamins.com/grand-lodge

Cary's shop is nearby, there's 's lots of twist roads and we are in Oregon wine country. Making it a more spouse/ significant other friendly option. Because buy in is the key! Was looking at trying to organize a car transport for those that don't want to marathon it, A fly in get your car at the airport, fly out and it's dropped back off.
The wife and a few others are ready and willing to put this together, just wanted to float it out there.
Cracker
...there was discussion of someone else possibly "hosting" WCR as well - a little south of you. It will be a tough act to follow...I would think, from all indications this year.

Tony
timothy_nd28
I can see the episode on U ship now. biggrin.gif

It's a cool idea though.
SirAndy
Anyone in SlowCal who wants to step up? We haven't been down there in a while.
idea.gif
tygaboy
I was thinking about volunteering to organize but I think I'll participate in at least one more before "going all in".

Regardless of location, I'd be happy to make some of the awards again.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 9 2017, 02:57 PM) *

Anyone in SlowCal who wants to step up? We haven't been down there in a while.
idea.gif

I chatted with a couple of slocal guys last weekend. They're thinking 2020 50th anniversary. But I agree, it would be nice to see some movie stars again! happy11.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Jun 9 2017, 03:29 PM) *

I was thinking about volunteering to organize but I think I'll participate in at least one more before "going all in".

Regardless of location, I'd be happy to make some of the awards again.

Chris, I'll help you with something in Sonoma County. Especially if you wait a year more! biggrin.gif I'm tired from this one and I'd guess you're twice as tired!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 9 2017, 02:44 PM) *

I'd like to step up to organize another WCR for this next year. We have a really great venue that has lots of parking and private bars. Even a movie theater!

Cary's shop is nearby, there's 's lots of twist roads and we are in Oregon wine country. Making it a more spouse/ significant other friendly option. Because buy in is the key! Was looking at trying to organize a car transport for those that don't want to marathon it, A fly in get your car at the airport, fly out and it's dropped back off.
The wife and a few others are ready and willing to put this together, just wanted to float it out there.

Ooh! 914Rubber hosting? Think of all the condoms that would be handed out! w00t.gif
Andyrew
I think 2018 has been slated for down south as well. They expressed their interest last year in hosting and there has been interest expressed to me by Chris Baker to host.

Typically we have a 3 year spread between norcal, socal, and upper states. With Norcal technically having this year and upper states having last year, Socal looks to be the place to go.

Maybe this is a great time to discuss splitting up the California and PNW states? With the interest for 914's gaining steam it seems to me that this shouldnt have any impact on attendance for either event if it is split as many regulars who travel up will still go up and many regulars who travel down will still go down..
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 9 2017, 11:47 AM) *
With Norcal technically having this year

Since i have no vested interest in this whole silly NorCal/SoCal thingy i'd like to point out that if you look at a map of California, we're actually MidCal and not NorCal.
rolleyes.gif
arne
From my point of view here in Oregon, pretty much everything south of Weed is SoCal...

happy11.gif blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(arne @ Jun 9 2017, 04:02 PM) *

From my point of view here in Oregon, pretty much everything south of Weed is SoCal...

happy11.gif blink.gif

I've always thought that the only reason NorCal doesn't become South Oregon is because California wants to keep Al and Harvey Weidman. happy11.gif av-943.gif
ConeDodger
Mark, I clicked on your link and it looks like a great place if it isn't too expensive. Chris Baker and I can bring some Sonoma County wine for those who can't choke down that Oregon stuff! poke.gif happy11.gif av-943.gif
rhodyguy
Forrest Grove would be great for an event whether the WCR or not. Plan it Mark. folks will participate.
ConeDodger
With the cooler average temperatures, you might be able to plan a little deeper into June too. I think some might have kids still in school and graduations up to the first weekend.
rhodyguy
Did you worry about the school year when you were planning 2017?
arne
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 9 2017, 12:08 PM) *
I've always thought that the only reason NorCal doesn't become South Oregon is because California wants to keep Al and Harvey Weidman. happy11.gif av-943.gif
Don't laugh. There is a movement to do so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(..._Pacific_state)
rhodyguy
The Pacific States of North America. Sign me up.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 9 2017, 04:20 PM) *

Did you worry about the school year when you were planning 2017?

In 2016, yes. Nicho was graduating. You can't go about planning these without some concern about why some people might not be able to come. But what do I know? I've only been part of planning about 5 of them. In the planning forum we did consider this, and when other events were occurring. It's not as simple as looking at a calendar and saying " hey! Look! This week has a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday! Let's choose this one!" blink.gif

Deeper into June in just about any ski resort is something called 'mud season.' You can't walk where it isn't paved and there's snow melt all over the road. IIRC, even Jericka Dahlen's due date had to considered. blink.gif
No one could have planned around Mike Bellis' fractured transmission though and he was a big loss.
rhodyguy
all weeks have a thursday, friday and saturday. Expecting attendees to plan their lives around other people's children's school year is unreasonable. I've worked on 2 WCRs. I guess you're ahead of me.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 9 2017, 04:42 PM) *

all weeks have a thursday, friday and saturday. Expecting attendees to plan their lives around other people's children's school year is unreasonable. I've worked on 2 WCRs. I guess you're ahead of me.

Not sure what has you all fired up Kevin but my point is that with the cooler weather In Forest Grove, it allows planning deeper into June, which allows people with kids still in school to come. In Northern California, it will be approaching 100 degrees in many places within a few weeks. Too hot for a lot of people and that doesn't even consider the cars. Do you not want people with kids to come? Because I sure enjoyed having Nicho there with me. Seeing the fun he had multiplied mine times three.
rhodyguy
For Christ sake..."do you not want people with kids (goats or children?) to atte...nevermind.
Andyrew
IPB Image

Think of the Kids!! lol-2.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 9 2017, 05:08 PM) *

IPB Image

Think of the Kids!! lol-2.gif

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
ValcoOscar
I have this enclosed property in so cal (Temecula) 2 min from wineries. Old town is 10 min away. Lots of options...even a camp out. Can easily hold over 100 914's. Go cart track, horse shoes, fishing, swimming...sorry no sking or surfing

If there is interest, I need help coordinating

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Holy shizit! drooley.gif
ValcoOscar
I would love to host a one or two day event...families welcomed.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 9 2017, 02:23 PM) *
I have this enclosed property in so cal (Temecula) 2 min from wineries. Old town is 10 min away. Lots of options...even a camp out. Can easily hold over 100 914's. Go cart track, horse shoes, fishing, swimming...

smilie_pokal.gif

Damn, that looks nice!
w00t.gif
Cracker
Hook up with Tygaboy and it will be epic...I might fly out for this! Great looking property!

Tony
Andyrew
That would be amazing! Maybe you should host your own separate event? There are quite a few 914 people in the area that would jump all over a saturday event there.

Arrive, have a bbq, do some go carting, host a drive to the local wineries and maybe a twisty road, come back, some more carting and finish off the night with some more bbq and horseshoes/beer/swiming..
Mueller
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 9 2017, 02:23 PM) *

I have this enclosed property in so cal (Temecula) 2 min from wineries. Old town is 10 min away. Lots of options...even a camp out. Can easily hold over 100 914's. Go cart track, horse shoes, fishing, swimming...sorry no sking or surfing

If there is interest, I need help coordinating

Click to view attachment

I vote for this place....award for best doughnuts on that grass? mueba.gif
sb914
Ok guys,
I met Oscar last weekend and he is a super cool, and knowledgeable guy,
He has a few projects that will blow your mind and all around legit guy!
He talked about having a event at his piratenanner.gif beerchug.gif chowtime.gif driving-girl.gif driving.gif
I didn't want to post anything until he did. What a great place for a event.
Here's one of his cars.has a raby and lots of goodies!Click to view attachment
Hopefully we can make this happen.
Thanks for your generous offer Oscar
Eddy
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 9 2017, 10:44 AM) *

Very cool, always wanted to stay at The Grand Lodge. 30 miles west of Portland too... smile.gif
JRust
I just sold Oscar some wheels. Your place looks amazing. I'd love to see an event there sometime. Whether it is WCR or not

As far as WCR goes. I really could care less who host's or doesn't. People talk about wanting to do it every year. Yet it is few who step up to actually do it. Then when people do want to step up. There seems to be some group that get's to decide who does? There has been no set track record of what state get's to host each year. IF that was the case WA guys are long overdue. How long ago was Issaquah 2008? I love all the event's & try to make all I can. Didn't get to make this years. Which was the second one I've missed since 2005 I believe. It is great to see everyone.

I would like to see the PNW meet come to fruition. Will that mean some of us may not make WCR. Sure it does but realistically there are very few CA guys who make a drive north for WCR when it is up here. I love it when they do but people will come to what they can. So to 914 rubber I say set up the PNW ramble. It could alternate between Oregon & WA specifically each year. We can do it in summer when it is nice here in June or even July. See if there is interest there. It could be a 2 day event or 3 day event. I'd say you guys plan & see who will come. If the interest is there it answers the question.

Hell I've thought of setting up an Annual autoX weekend in Medford. I know I'd go for that & think we could easily have 15+ who would come every year
Curbandgutter
I'm in for Oscars place. I'll step up and help too. Temecula wine country has so much to offer. The wineries, the twisty roads in la cresta, old town Temecula with all the great restaurants. It's a pretty spectacular place. Oscars place looks ridiculously nice. Ivan bring some of my famous smoked pulled pork and smoked Tri tip. I can bring enough for 50 peeps. The rest will be whatever else someone wants to bring. We can bring local wines and local craft beers.
Mikey914
Technically WA is due. I know a few Canadians may show. But regardless It will take someone to commit to putting it together and following through. Rates for hotels are better farther out so lets make a short list of who wants to and move forward. It's easier for me not to. I'm happy if it just comes together.
So who's up?
Cracker
What the Helll...I'll commit too. I suggest holding WCR in Atlanta! biggrin.gif

Tony
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 9 2017, 06:02 PM) *

Hell I've thought of setting up an Annual autoX weekend in Medford. I know I'd go for that & think we could easily have 15+ who would come every year

I know and excellent base of operations smile.gif

Set it up!! Get with my dad, he'll help with the autox setup and if its small enough maybe setup a BnB. Or at the very least barbq, plenty of room for 25 cars to park on his lot.
914_teener
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 9 2017, 02:41 PM) *

That would be amazing! Maybe you should host your own separate event? There are quite a few 914 people in the area that would jump all over a saturday event there.

Arrive, have a bbq, do some go carting, host a drive to the local wineries and maybe a twisty road, come back, some more carting and finish off the night with some more bbq and horseshoes/beer/swiming..

I like this idea and the offer in Temecula. The property looks really cool.

I'll help if need be. Organizing is always the hard part.

I'm not sure about whatever it is called. Maybe WCR part 1? Some years make it difficult to make both the R66 and the WCR and I have had to make choices between the two since my schedule at work still is tuff besides my travels overseas. Elliot gets to dead head...I have to pay.

I do really like the PNW guys. They are great people. Weather sucks in Cali in June on the coast. Maybe Temecula early and the WCR later up North late June? Truly sad that I missed the WCR this year. I was hoping to meet Super In Law and Cary.

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth.
PanelBilly
I don't want to call it a split, but rather an expansion. Let's add another event for the PNW.
rhodyguy
Oregon is the natural choise to me for a PNW event. While convenient for puget sounders, that extra 5 hours to drive north can be a deal breaker for others. Possibly an extra hotel night and all that goes with it. Gotta locate the function where the traffic congestion doesn't take the shine off the fun.
forrestkhaag
Agreed as to centralized location gathers more participants / buts two events would allow the San Diego crowd to be included too. welcome.png

We could save a ton of money by hosting the drive-event on the 5 freeway. It is dead stopped most of the day from Orange County to the mexican border hissyfit.gif sheeplove.gif
ConeDodger
Hmmm... really craving a Southern California event, but anything Whitesell puts on would be epic! cheer.gif w00t.gif
rhodyguy
I didn't mean to imply the WCR needed to be held north. The more events the better. Dates staggered as to not conflict with other happenings.
JRust
There are always smaller things as well. A PNW thing doesn't have to be a 3-4 day event. More event's are great
rhodyguy
Bend area/eastern oregon? There has to be a abundance of near empty roads. The Dalles was one of the best locations i've attended. Affordable flyin costs. Maryhill climb tie in?
Mikey914
Im thinking the socal event looks cool too. Perhaps we could have 2 events. I would be up for the 1st PNW semi annual 914 gathering!
Lets do both!

No schedule will work for everyone so 2 is a logical choice
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 10 2017, 02:05 PM) *

Im thinking the socal event looks cool too. Perhaps we could have 2 events. I would be up for the 1st PNW semi annual 914 gathering!
Lets do both!

No schedule will work for everyone so 2 is a logical choice

NWR!
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 10 2017, 10:10 AM) *
I would be up for the 1st PNW semi annual 914 gathering
NWR!

NQPNWOWCACNNCOSCR
biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 10 2017, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 10 2017, 10:10 AM) *
I would be up for the 1st PNW semi annual 914 gathering
NWR!

NQPNWOWCACNNCOSCR
biggrin.gif

confused24.gif Is that German or English? sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.