Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: autocross and a hot day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
We are having unseasonably hot weather here. Doug and I headed for the autocross yesterday and while the oil temp and head temps were within reason, that engine bay was too hot to touch. And then no spark. Has happened before. I think the failure point was the photodetector for the Crane Fireball ignition module.

I have had enough. It is either points or something electronic I can trust. I generally carry a spare dizzy, but it was at home yesterday...

So - can anyone point me to the most reliable system? I am not wild about changing points, so I would prefer something electronic.

Thanks again Brain Trust!
Porschef
Hey Warren,

Lots of different opinions regarding Pertronix, but I've been running a unit for about 4 years with no issues.

Joe
cary
Been on my car 13-14 years
JeffBowlsby
20 years of running points, 10 of those as a daily driver, never let me down.
worn
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jun 13 2017, 05:52 AM) *

20 years of running points, 10 of those as a daily driver, never let me down.

Yeah - I know. But you be a stickler for the wiring. Thinking of pertronix backed up with a gapped distributor and points in the trunk. Turned out to be useful last year at Rt 66.
ConeDodger
Points. Done right, the most reliable analog system.
mskala
I think the failure point was the photodetector for the Crane Fireball ignition module.

I use the Crane LED/Detector, though I don't use the Crane box. The part that's in
the distributor is literally only and LED and a photodiode and a plastic holder. I've
had this one for at least 5 years with no issues. Before that on my other engine, I
had made one with a random old radio shack LED and photodiode which gave no
trouble for 10 years.

I would think if there's a problem related to the trigger it's either a wiring fail or the
box that drives the LED and receives the signal.

worn
QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 13 2017, 06:29 AM) *

I think the failure point was the photodetector for the Crane Fireball ignition module.

I use the Crane LED/Detector, though I don't use the Crane box. The part that's in
the distributor is literally only and LED and a photodiode and a plastic holder. I've
had this one for at least 5 years with no issues. Before that on my other engine, I
had made one with a random old radio shack LED and photodiode which gave no
trouble for 10 years.

I would think if there's a problem related to the trigger it's either a wiring fail or the
box that drives the LED and receives the signal.

So what do you use downstream of the photodiode/LED pair?
mskala
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 13 2017, 05:53 PM) *

I simple circuit to put power to LED and buffer the receiver and it just goes to (911) Bosch CD box.

Pelican - how-i-use-crane-optical-trig-bosch-cdi-3-pin

BTW it was 95 degrees at my autocross sunday.
worn
QUOTE(mskala @ Jun 13 2017, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Jun 13 2017, 05:53 PM) *

I simple circuit to put power to LED and buffer the receiver and it just goes to (911) Bosch CD box.

Pelican - how-i-use-crane-optical-trig-bosch-cdi-3-pin

BTW it was 95 degrees at my autocross sunday.

Damn,
I am tracing trouble with my 911 CD box too, but still in my 1980 911! Been off and on for 10 years or more. I finally think I have found the problem at the green trigger wire from the reluctor coil... Wish me luck.

I have a couple of MSD 6AL units on hand. Are they dependable once I change out the Behru wires? And if so, can I keep the Behru spark plug connectors with carbon wrapped wires?

I know. More questions. I made an aluminum chopper for the photosensor with the Crane unit. The box was too hot to touch, but maybe my chopper sawed away at the photosystem. Will find out soon.
Thanks!!
porschetub
QUOTE(worn @ Jun 13 2017, 04:41 AM) *

We are having unseasonably hot weather here. Doug and I headed for the autocross yesterday and while the oil temp and head temps were within reason, that engine bay was too hot to touch. And then no spark. Has happened before. I think the failure point was the photodetector for the Crane Fireball ignition module.

I have had enough. It is either points or something electronic I can trust. I generally carry a spare dizzy, but it was at home yesterday...

So - can anyone point me to the most reliable system? I am not wild about changing points, so I would prefer something electronic.

Thanks again Brain Trust!

Researched till me eyes bleed,purchased a 75MY Permatune,they are very reliable units and last well,the Bosch units are generally less that way,teamed mine up with Pertronix II system and then found the pertronix coil for that CDI won't give optimum performance,purchased a NOS Permatune transformer coil off ebay for a song ...these are expensive if you don't shop well.
My car on carbs starts straight up and runs really nice,think I have the ignition pretty well covered,however without Bob @ashlocktech I way totally uneducated,Pertronix don't really supply the right installation instructions...oh by the way buy good leads,Clewitt make the best IMO.
Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.