Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: very high temp exhaust paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
hello to all,
I ordered very high temp paint (Grey) from stoddards....it has been out of stock and back ordered from the manufacturer for over 6 weeks...(the story is a long one) I ordered it from stoddards because I wanted it to be as close to the original color as possible...does anybody know of another place that I can get the VHT paint....I am trying to get my motor back into the car, and I already sandblasted the exhaust parts...thanks in advance...I am posting a picture of my 73 914 with 13,900 miles on jackstands...thanks in advance!
flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
Joe
TravisNeff
check your local Flaps. I used a high temp silver on mine and had been a few thousand miles and no discoloration (yet).

A sure fire substitute is cold gavlanizing compound, check the classifieds for a 500 mile OE banana muffler for the color it will look.
StratPlayer
Try Bill Hirsch paints, very good product

http://www.hirschauto.com/acb/showprod.cfm...bjectGroup_ID=8
Joe Bob
Barbeque paint.....any local hardware store....ain't nutin' special.
9146R
I powder coated mine (silver)...works very well @ high temp...has lasted ~ 3 years...but costly vs painting.
Eric_Shea
I use "POR-15 Factory Manifold Grey" on all my exhausts

Click Here
ArtechnikA
Brad at NLA in Reno (Sparks, actually...) sells a very accurate color match, if you're going for that concours-quality finish
DougC
Will store bought heat paints work on headers (gets hotter than mufflers)? I assumed you'd need to have them coated by one of the "jet-hot" type coating companies. They are pretty expensive and I'd do it myself if something else would work. The new bursch /6 headers arrived chipped in several places and I want to eliminate early rusting if possible.

Doug C
jgiroux67
You could just use the high heat paint thats at any auto store. It's like $4 a can, a couple coats should do the job.
Eric_Shea
I wouldn't use rattle can stuff for these pieces. But... it' up to you. It usually lasts about a week before it looks like it does in your first picture. The POR15 stuff is good for 1400deg. I believe Jim has some on his and it still looks great. Strat?

Regarding the headers... I stripped them straight away. That paint they come with blows. I did the POR15 FM Gray on those as well.
StratPlayer
Yes I did my muffler in POR20 Black Velvet and it still looks as good as the day I painted in on, that was almost 2 years ago. Great stuff, I refinished a set of stock 75-76 exchangers and painted them with the Bill Hirsch paint, hirsch paint good for 2k degrees.
joeav8tor
thanks for the info!
flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
Joe Sedotto
J P Stein
QUOTE (DougC @ May 13 2005, 11:23 AM)
Will store bought heat paints work on headers (gets hotter than mufflers)? I assumed you'd need to have them coated by one of the "jet-hot" type coating companies. They are pretty expensive and I'd do it myself if something else would work. The new bursch /6 headers arrived chipped in several places and I want to eliminate early rusting if possible.

Doug C

Get that Bursch paint off of there....if you don't, the heat will....that is to say, it is NOT high temp, it's just black biggrin.gif
You have to remove it to put on any kind of hi-temp coating.

I use rattle can Stove paint...cheep, easy to find. I recoat every couple of years.....gone 6-7 years with no rust.
If you can get 10 years out of a set of headers, you're doin' gud. They will die from the inside so's there's no sense spending a bunch of money on trick coatings....me thinks smile.gif
Better to blow it on some CF wheels.......
Type 4
If you are looking for a good quality product use Black Satin you can apply it at home there is no need to bake it.
I have used it both baked and not bake It works wells either way.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.