Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7L Airfilter Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kbsmith1973
I'm trying to replace the air filter element in my 1973 914 1.7L. Fram CA-383 was the prior replacement.

I got one from my local parts store, but it didn't fit properly. Subsequently I ordered one from one of the big Porsche outfits online. It was the same as the one from the local store!

The 'recommended' replacement has a larger inside diameter, causing it to miss the sealing ring in the lower part of the housing. It will leak outside air directly into the engine.

Internet search has not turned up anything on this issue. Any ideas?
BillC
There are a number of threads on this. Turns out the correct air filter is no longer available, despite what the online stores say.

There are, however, filters you can make work. Here's a thread where I made an adapter to use a NAPA Gold 2011 filter. The adapters are pretty simple to make, or I can make one for you ($20 plus shipping).

The NAPA web site shows the filter is currently about $7.50 each.

If you bought your filter from AutoAtlanta, it's probably the NAPA 2011. At least, that's what they sent me when I ordered a "correct replacement filter" from them 2 years ago.
kbsmith1973
Thanks. I'll try your idea.

Too bad I couldn't dream up the right search keywords...
914_teener
There is a FLAPS replacement that is really close. I had to order it and I thought I posted it a while back. Not at home this weekend but if you can.t find it PM me after this weekend.
stinkindiesel
I posted this a while back.

Dimensions:
Mann C2180 (OEM, NLA)
124mm ID
207mm OD
82mm tall

Here's what I'm running now.
Wix 42110
125mm ID
163mm OD
76mm tall

It's 6mm too short, so I cut a piece of cork gasket material the same size as the filter to fill the extra gap. I found 1/4" to be too much, so I think I've got a couple of pieces in there now that are just under 1/4" total.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.