Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA uto-X at Mather (Sacramento) on June 11
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve_7x
For those of you from Northern California, a unique opportunity has opened for us to Autocross at Mather Field again.

Those of you that autocrossed in the area during the late 90's into 2001, will recall Mather Field as one of the premier facilities. SCCA, American Autocross Series, PCA-SVR and probably some others used the site for many years. Unfortunately shortly after 9/11 the facility was no longer opened to us.

On June 11, as part of the Shriners Concours (which is June 12), SCCA will be putting on an Autocross at Mather Field. This will be the first one at this site since 2001.

What makes Mather so special?

The site of the autocross is essentially the size of Alameda, with an excellent surface.. or should I say surfaces. There is a mix of Concrete and Asphalt. The concrete is much gripper then the asphalt and the courses tend to switch between the surfaces creating another dyamic to the driving experience. Another difference is that while there is a very wide center section, there are also these connected areas that were used for parked military bombers. Courses have a tendency to go into those sections as well.

As I understand it the entry fee goes to the Shriner's Hospital which is a very worthwhile cause.

Sunday is the Shriner's concouse... Porsche has had a very good turn-ouit at these over the past several years - so there is even something to do on Sunday.

I hope to see a large contingent of 914's out there!

Steve
J P Stein
Humm.....that has possibilities.

Where is that in relation to Yuba City?
Steve_7x
I forgot the link for more info:

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacramento/Sh...hriners2005.htm

and here is an aerial view and directions:

http://www.sfrscca.com/solo2/Sites/mather.html

9146R
Did my first autox in my 914 here in 2000 and really enjoyed it. At the time the Corvette guys were designing courses for SCCA and made the Mather course wide, fast and fun. Would enjoy getting back on the course...not a bad drive at all from the bay area. biggrin.gif
Steve_7x
JP...

Not sure of the exact distance between Yuba City and Rancho Cordova... but I would estimate about an hour or a bit more depending on time of day and traffic etc...

Steve
J P Stein
Lookin' even better. About 60-70 miles from my son's house.
2nd run group in the AM....yummy.
Gonna see if this works for my crew.

What class you runnin', Steve?
Steve_7x
I wil just run for fun since I am not p on all of the SCCA classes. I do believe that I would have to run 7 inchers in the rear (no performance differnce vs my 8's) and I am sure I may be a few lb's under their minimum. For this reason i am not going to sweat it and just run with mods in the second run group.

Steve
Steve_7x
9146R...

I am pretty sure it will be more of the same. The local SCCA guys like the heavy iron so they will not make it a tight and twisty circuit... should be loads of fun... 4th gear for sure driving.gif
J P Stein
Hee,hee, I luv "Corvette" courses laugh.gif

Steve:
If you run D mod you can run any tire you want.
SCCA doesn't weigh cars unless it's a National Tour event...or the Nats themselves....not that you'll meet minimum weight. Production & Gt...under 2L, 1300 minimum weight. The hotted up Lotus 7s & clones live here.
Dman
I'll be there Steve!

But,.. I will only run if you promise not to make remarks about how noisy my car is over the PA! cool.gif

They quit running there right when I got my car. sad.gif
grantsfo
Sounds fun. Do I have to be a SCCA member to go? I thought they were strict about SCCA only crowd.
9146R
Yes to being an SCCA member. They signed me and my 2 sons up on-site the time we went in there in 2000. Very friendly staff and nice group of attendees...lots of variety which we enjoyed watching. Course was as I recall 3rd gear max on my car....some big spins on the learning curve of life too ! Ate a few cones real good. biggrin.gif
Steve_7x
On the SCCA thing...

My understanding is that there are normally 2 different entry fees... one for SCCA and the other for non-SCCA members.

HOWEVER... I believe they are waiving the additional fees since this is a benefit weekend for Shriners. I believe all the info is on the web page - in other words $25.

Steve
J P Stein
I talked to my family and we are good to go....I'll be there. This gives me a chance to get the car dialed in a bit.....also a chance to break it.
This is a good opportunity for the PCA only guys to go see how the SCCA does things and that looks like a killer venue.
Steve_7x
JP...

Look me up when you get there. I plan to run in the am...

Steve
J P Stein
QUOTE (Steve_7x @ May 15 2005, 07:47 PM)
JP...

Look me up when you get there. I plan to run in the am...

Steve

I will do that. The Mod cars are scheduled for the 2nd run-group in the AM....perfect.

914s at SCCA are "strangers in a strange land". We need a few more folks to circle the wagons laugh.gif
grantsfo
I'll try to make this one.
9146R
Will be there with one of my sons too...see ya'll there. Let's try to pit together in the paddock. Looking forward to matching up the avatars with real people. cool.gif
J P Stein
You're gonna have trouble with my avatar laugh.gif
Steve_7x
icon_bump.gif

Just bumping the original message to the top.

Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.