Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternative Fix for Speedo Angle Drive Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Got all the parts to fix my speedo angle drive leak that has been a problem since getting the car three years ago. However when I disassembled everything I discovered (as most everyone has) how hard it is to remove the sealing washer to get to the inner seal, so I said the hell with that and just replaced the large sleeve o-ring as per S.O.P. Put it back together and it still leaked. So...looked at it all very closely and decided to put an extra o-ring at the location in the pic provided below. I found a suitable sized o-ring in my parts supplies that fit nice and snug at that location. Screwed it all back together and voila- No Leaks from the angle drive whatsoever and I never had to touch the inner seal! Speedo works as always.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
You may still wind up with oil getting pumped up along the speedo cable, where it will drip out from behind your dash and stain any light-colored pants you might be wearing....

At least I got a pair of "garage pants" out of that.

--DD
Ansbacher
Damn. Thanks DD, I knew it was too good to be true. When I stain my pants I'll know it's time to bite the bullet and tackle that inner seal.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.