Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Speedometer / odemeter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Don Contreras
Current speedometer works but odometer doesn't.
Please help! bye1.gif

Thanks,
Don
dcontreras11234@gmail.com
206-240-4030
carking1996
QUOTE(Don Contreras @ Jun 25 2017, 08:43 PM) *

Current speedometer works but odometer doesn't.
Please help! bye1.gif

Thanks,
Don
dcontreras11234@gmail.com
206-240-4030

You might have something in there that's worn down. There's a few threads around here that should help smile.gif
euro911
Usually there's a gear that starts slipping on the ODO shaft. Need to disassemble and fix the slipping issue. I've removed the gear, scribed new splines on the shaft and pressed the gear back on. It's a tedious process tearing it apart though.

I wrote a fixit article on the NARP site years ago, but there's also one on the Pelican site.
BK911
I have one I bought for my 72, but apparently I *needed* a silver dot one.

$100

Sorry, cant upload pics for some reason.
Email for pics.
BK911 at Hotmail dot com
euro911
Found my repair thread from 2007 on the old NARP site, but can't link to it for some reason confused24.gif

So I just cut & pasted it here:

Posted: Sep 3 2007, 06:25 PM

Group: 914 Fan
Member No.: 476

My '76 BMW's odometer stopped many years ago at around 83k miles. The ODO stopped working on my wife's 914 (before we acquired it), and I always wanted to know what made them tick ... or 'stop ticking' to be more precise.

George H. gave me a Silver Dot speedo the other day, and unfortunately, the ODO and Trip Counter didn't work on it either ... so today I took it apart.

It kind of looks like a cross between a clock and a music box inside. The speedo cable drives a small magnetized flywheel. The flywheel spins inside a thin metal cup that is connected to the pin of the indicator needle. There is a shaft with a worm gear that is driven from inside the flywheel shaft housing, which drives another shaft that the plastic odo number wheels ride on.

This where I found the problem with the ODO and Trip Counter.

On the extreme right hand side of the 'ODO number wheel cluster', there is a pot-metal wheel that should be held tightly on the shaft so it rotates with the shaft (whereas the number wheels 'float' on the shaft). It looks like this wheel was originally pressed on or a friction fit, and eventually just wore the shaft or the bore on the wheel unsure.gif

I disassembled the cluster enough to remove the metal wheel, and scribed several linear impressions to create a splined shaft where the metal wheel resides. I reassembled the cluster, and the wheel needed a little bit of a push to get it back onto the shaft (which was my theory and goal).

I reassembled the speedo unit, re-greased the gears and shafts, then tested it using a cordless drill motor (with a tip from an old speedo cable in the chuck).

The Speedo, ODO and Trip Counter are working again smile.gif

NOTE: Make sure you spin the speedo in reverse (counter clock-wise) ...

In lieu of taking pix, I drew a little diagram. The diagram will make more sense once you look at an actual disassembled speedo:

IPB Image
Don Contreras
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 26 2017, 02:02 PM) *

Found my repair thread from 2007 on the old NARP site, but can't link to it for some reason confused24.gif

So I just cut & pasted it here:

Posted: Sep 3 2007, 06:25 PM

Group: 914 Fan
Member No.: 476

My '76 BMW's odometer stopped many years ago at around 83k miles. The ODO stopped working on my wife's 914 (before we acquired it), and I always wanted to know what made them tick ... or 'stop ticking' to be more precise.

George H. gave me a Silver Dot speedo the other day, and unfortunately, the ODO and Trip Counter didn't work on it either ... so today I took it apart.

It kind of looks like a cross between a clock and a music box inside. The speedo cable drives a small magnetized flywheel. The flywheel spins inside a thin metal cup that is connected to the pin of the indicator needle. There is a shaft with a worm gear that is driven from inside the flywheel shaft housing, which drives another shaft that the plastic odo number wheels ride on.

This where I found the problem with the ODO and Trip Counter.

On the extreme right hand side of the 'ODO number wheel cluster', there is a pot-metal wheel that should be held tightly on the shaft so it rotates with the shaft (whereas the number wheels 'float' on the shaft). It looks like this wheel was originally pressed on or a friction fit, and eventually just wore the shaft or the bore on the wheel unsure.gif

I disassembled the cluster enough to remove the metal wheel, and scribed several linear impressions to create a splined shaft where the metal wheel resides. I reassembled the cluster, and the wheel needed a little bit of a push to get it back onto the shaft (which was my theory and goal).

I reassembled the speedo unit, re-greased the gears and shafts, then tested it using a cordless drill motor (with a tip from an old speedo cable in the chuck).

The Speedo, ODO and Trip Counter are working again smile.gif

NOTE: Make sure you spin the speedo in reverse (counter clock-wise) ...

In lieu of taking pix, I drew a little diagram. The diagram will make more sense once you look at an actual disassembled speedo:

IPB Image

Thanks Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.