Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: little trick for tail shifter linkage adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
Seen a few threads on shifter adjustment today and thought I'd share something I did that helped a ton.

To give you an idea, I had never driven a 914 before I purchased my project. The project was not running and got a tear down and rebuild. I did replace all of the bushings in the entire system. I used this method when I put it all back together, it needed no further adjustment once I got it driving.

For the tail shifter, the adjustment collar is in the tunnel at the firewall. If you're just adjusting then loosen and disengage the two rods.

Next I grabbed a set of sheetmetal vie grips, they look like this.
IPB Image

On the engine side of the firewall I clamped the L-shaped rod and the long rear rod together, removing the twist and locking them straight. This means that the entire rear section is as if the shift lever is in the 2nd/3rd gear lane.
IPB Image

Then I went out back and hung a large standard vice grip wrench on the little cage arm at the very back.
IPB Image

You need a vice grip that has some weight to it so that it naturally holds the cage straight up and down. Don't clamp it too tight, we're just clamping enough to hold the wrench on there. This means that the entire rear section of linkage is perfectly set up as if in neutral both side to side and forward and back.

Finally, go back in to the cabin and look in the tunnel. The rear rod is where it should be. Grab the shift lever, hold it down in the 3rd gear area, right in the middle and back. Slowly move the shift lever directly forward with one hand and guide the two rods together with your other hand. Once it's right in the middle in the forward/back direction snug up the collar. Release the shift lever, the weighty rear vice grip should again center the linkage, if perfect neutral isn't where you want it adjust more and clamp down the collar.

Hope that helps someone!

IronHillRestorations
@Optimusglen I haven't worked on a tail shifter in almost 20 years, and was getting my butt kicked! This did the trick, and saved further frustration.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Oct 9 2020, 03:53 PM) *

@Optimusglen I haven't worked on a tail shifter in almost 20 years, and was getting my butt kicked! This did the trick, and saved further frustration.

Glad to see this helped someone!
markhoward
Used this method today and was able to get adjusted with ease. Thanks @Optimusglen for the writeup.
SLKWrx
This trick was outstanding for me. I struggled for hours trying to get everything to line up. Picked up the same tool from amazon and everything got easier. Great tip!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.