Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: alternator suitability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
The vw replacement alternator number is 021-903-023-A,
On the 914 parts catalog it is 022 903 023.

Looking at images online i see the vw has some kind of suppressor on it (causing shorts until remedied) the one on my engine (likely a 411) does not have this. It also has no numbers on it.

Does the 914 alternator have the suppressor? Can i fit the vw numbered alternator without issues?
Mikey914
Good question popcorn[1].gif
JFG
For those as electronically challenged as myself I have an answer.

The alternator is fine. The suppressor which caused my confusion is part number 021 903 295 and is a separate part whereas I thought it was integral. Duh!

Anyhow back to making I'll fitting parts fit!
mgphoto
Problems arise with the positive lug, our type iv has a very short one to accommodate the air deflector plate, longer lug from a different unit can short on the plate. Also there is a gasket between the alternator and the air deflector plate, NLA gasket seals for better cooling, no electric isolation.
Mike
914Sixer
Positive terminal (red wire) is supposed to have a rubber cap on it.
JFG
You're both correct in what you say. The positive threads are longer and should have a boot. Only one b+ has the starter live wire connected so naturally only one boot (elbow) is found. I'm going to fab some kind of gasket / spacer and or reduce the length of the threaded studs.

I read a thread on the samba about this problem.
Mikey914
We have made the replacement harness with the correct cap on it. Also working on the deflector, boot, and some other little goodies that fit in there. Unfortunately, they are several weeks out. But the harness is in stock if you need one. Do check to see if the 3 prong connector is brittle, and it the red wire has evidence of melting the protective covering.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Alternator-wirin...m?categoryId=-1

Here's a code for $15 off it you need one

"ALT10"
In fact one of those parts is also ready and on sale (I'll start a dedicated thread)

Hope this helps
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 7 2017, 10:43 AM) *

We have made the replacement harness with the correct cap on it. Also working on the deflector, boot, and some other little goodies that fit in there. Unfortunately, they are several weeks out. But the harness is in stock if you need one. Do check to see if the 3 prong connector is brittle, and it the red wire has evidence of melting the protective covering.

Are you going to make the gasket too ? smile.gif (The one that goes under the backing plate )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.