MarkV
No Reserve cool_shades.gif

The URL is locked so you can't cut & paste. :finger2: :finger2:

Featured 32,000
914Timo
Nice car, but $32k ??? ohmy.gif

The direct link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2422166229
FlatSix
The car is advertised as a 1972 GT clone.

NO WAY!!!

The chassis number is from 1976.

The headlights use motors to raise them, it has standard interior door handles, steel bonet and rear deck lid etc...

But it has steel flares!
Anton
For 32K one can get a lot of Porsche NOT being a fu..ed up 914! Yack.gif

And what exactly is "916 clone" about this car I cannot see; steel flares certainly do not qualify. On the other hand, a steel roof, a 2.4S (or 2.7S) engine, and a special 916 gearbox modification would (apart from the other goodies mentioned by FlatSix)!

The vehicle should contain a sticker that says: "WARNING: if you stick your hands in any luggage compartment you will get electrocuted" wacko.gif
tat2dphreak
you can have 12-16 decent 914's or this 1... 32k is a joke!
Bleyseng
How can you get 12-16 decent 914's the same as this car.
This car has a 3.0 six in it so it is a conversion which usually sell in the 15k range for nice ones. Ok, so maybe 2 cars. This one looks like they have done it right and its sweet. I hope they get it!
Sometimes you guy jump all over a car for no reason, now if its a rusty AA POS I have noo problem.

I wish my car was as nice as this 3.0L conversion.

Geoff
tat2dphreak
I guess I should have specified 914/4s....
Qarl
This car has been for sale for about 1 year at that dealership.

I don't think they are going to get it.

MAYBE in the low to mid 20's.... maybe, but I doubt it.
krk
Well, it's a nice enough car, and it would cost quite a bit to replicate. The 916 reference is probably spurious marketing-speak. I'm with Anton on this -- I don't see anything 916 about it -- the most obvious point is the front and rear bumpers are wrong. (But I prefer the gt look, so I actually like the front better anyway - the splitter is an interesting addition -- I wonder if the bumper is real or fg.) 916's all had pretty custom interiors as well. Often leather, or that cool paisley interior we saw recently.

The interior looks like the single place that the owner could have spent more money/time completing. It looks like a pretty stock 914 interior with a change out of seats, instruments and rollbar. The driver's door still has the screw holes in it for the stock door handle (sort of cheezy). The instruments you normally change out on a 6-conversion anyway -- I'm not personally a fan of the white face look, and I doubt that porsche was in '72, but I could be wrong. I can't see a gas gauge anywhere but there aren't a lot of pics of the interior. The 916's I've seen pics of used a stock gauge under the dash where the console would have been.

Basically, it looks like a pretty nicely done 6 conversion. Some parts are hard to tell, of course -- not much detail on the engine/tranny combo (a newly built 3.0 w/goodies can be a 10K - 15K toy) or the actual suspension/brake goodies. To get to call it something like "gt clone", you probably have to do more work tho, as a lot of the details are not very close. (dashboard should be felt, door panels, etc)

There are too many colors in the engine compartment.

I do like the koenig's. Dunno if I'd use red tho.

It would be interesting to see better pics of the back pad. It looks like they sectioned it to fit the seats. It looks like felt/carpet on the sides, but I can't quite make it out. There's a nice new screw above the interior light that probably polishes up real nice with chrome polish. lol.

As far as pricing, this would be interesting if I were considering building a car with specs pretty close to this one. Then it's a build or buy decision. But I'm not, so others will have to chime in about the 32K reality check.

kim.
cha914
As mentioned above...the front splitter is a piece I haven't seen before, this a one off piece or anyone knows who sells/sold these?

IPB Image

Tony
Andyrew
From the looks of it, it looks custom made. I am considering making a fiberglass front splitter, and making a mold to reproduce it.. Is this custom? or is this an off the shelf item?

Andrew
silver six
I agree with Kim. I, more or less, like the car. It's overpriced, but it is still a nice car. But the problem appears to be the lame and misleading advertising. The seller says it is a GT clone and in other places the seller says the car is a 916 clone. The car, in fact, does not "clone" either the 916 nor the early 1970s 914-6 GTs.

The 916 was a luxury car with leather all around, AC, and a 2.4 liter engine (if I remember right, could be a 2.7). But this car does not have leather all around, not on all parts of the seats, not on the dash and I did not see AC. Also the engine is from another era.

The GT was a stripped down race car with no amenities and black felt where a lot of the interior trim used to be. But this car has all sorts of fancy amenities, weird gauge faces, center console, arm rest, and no black felt.

So it's neither a very good GT nor a very good 916 clone.

I still like the car anyway. It looks like it was almost done right. I don't know how you're supposed to change the coil to dizzy wire, however.

Douglas
anthony
You guys are hard on cars. Besides the marketing speak about it being a 916 clone it would easily cost $25-30K plus a lot of labor to build the same car with a used engine and definitely over $30K with a new rebuilt engine.
Lawrence
I emailed the seller and asked him if he even knew was a 916 was. idea.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 3 2003, 11:47 AM)
You guys are hard on cars. Besides the marketing speak about it being a 916 clone it would easily cost $25-30K plus a lot of labor to build the same car with a used engine and definitely over $30K with a new rebuilt engine.

yeah, but that's not the way it works with these cars.
i will NEVER ever get the money back i've put in the car so far.

and i know that and i'm fine with it. (cause i don't wanna sell rolleyes.gif )
i'm even going to dump much more into it over the next year or two.

by the time i'm done, i'll probably have around $35k - $40k in the car.
and even then, i won't get more than $15 for it ...

Andy
krk
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 3 2003, 10:56 AM)
I emailed the seller and asked him if he even knew was a 916 was. idea.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

Troublemaker.

splat.gif

kim.

mueba.gif
Lawrence
Troublemaker.

No, being a troublemaker would be rallying a charge to get everyone to email eBay, and claim deceit in advertising - it's no where near a GT or a 916. ninja.gif

-Rusty zorro.gif
krk
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 3 2003, 11:13 AM)
Troublemaker.

No, being a troublemaker would be rallying a charge to get everyone to email eBay, and claim deceit in advertising - it's no where near a GT or a 916. ninja.gif

-Rusty zorro.gif

Yeh, I agree. I've just never had a chance to use the fish smiley before. I'll do better next time.

kim.
Lawrence
The salesman's reply:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 2:19 PM
To: Lawrence
Subject: RE: Question for seller -- Item #2422166229

Hi,
I'm sorry if you didn't like the description. It is an anomaly because Porsche didn't build a 914/6 in 1972, and the 914/6 didn't have a 3 liter motor, where as the 916 never really existed, other than the 11 prototypes that were built and only 1 made it to the states, and they didn't have a targa roof. How would you have described it?

Thank You,
Frederick
Lawrence
My reply back:

Sir,

Porsche DID build a stock 914/6 in 1972:

Production Numbers:

914/4 (ROW) 6,106
914/4 (USA) 15,474
914/6 (non-GT) 260 (approx)
916 11
Total 21,851

The 914/6 serial numbers were: 9142430011-9142430260

The car you're selling is a 1976 chassis, with a 3.0/6 conversion and steel flares. That's how it should be listed. The fact that the car is indeed a 1976 has significant consequences if the buyer is from an area with smog requirements, like California's 30 year rolling exemption.

To claim this is a "clone" of a 916 is plain wrong, and an uneducated buyer would be screwed over if he took your description as accurate.

Regards.
Anton
Rusty, this is exactly the point: they are misleading potential buyers and then play innocent. It is very presumptuous to compare the vehicle in question to a 916, or a 914-6 GT for that matter, as SilverSix has already pointed out. I applaud you for correcting Concoursautos. clap56.gif

Still, one has to admire the time an effort that went into the car. How it was done is a matter of taste (not mine BTW). The car will have an excellent weight to power ratio and should be able to perform outstandingly. Hell, they should have used it in "2 fast 2 furious". smilie_flagge24.gif Anyone seen that movie yet?
Mountain914
From the looks of the picture - it's a dealership of 'specialty' cars (looks mostly customs and rods) so you can't fault the seller too much (it's not like he is probably a 914 guy or anything). We just like to nitpick on people who aren't as well versed in what we know (just an opinion here! happy11.gif ). Imagine if we paid for something with a rare coin of which we had no clue... and the people behind the counter happened to know all about rare coins. I could just imagine their conversation.
As far as the money... As sir Andy said, well we all know we can put a lot in these and get very little return on investment (no one can argue that I've got way too much in mine!). The deal here is that it's a dealership, and they are in it to make money. That's all.
More power to 'em, I say! The worst they can do to us is drive up the prices on these to make ours more valuable (remember, I have a NARP - all you concours enthusiasts bite your tounges!).
Lawrence
It's a beautiful car. But I remember back when I first got into 914s. I had no idea what they were about... but I knew mine was cool. cool.gif

If someone had advertised it as a replica of something rare, I would have probably still bought it... but then I would have been mad as hell that I was lied to.

Worse yet, imagine going from a smog state, flying to Florida to buy this "1972" car, and (not knowing any better - that's what eBay is about sometimes), ending up with a 76 that you couldn't register.

Scary.

If they're a specialty/street rod kind of resaler/consignment/dealer... it's their JOB to know.

-Rusty
silver six
To me the real issue is not whether the car is nice or not (it looks very nice except fo the poorly placed ignition system); the real issue is (1) whether the car is really worth over $30,000 and (2) whether the car has been falsely advertised.

Saying that the seller should not be faulted because the seller is an uneducated dealer of rare automobiles I think, doesn't fly. The seller is a professional organization. They sell cars every day and they do it for a living. They are regulated by standards of professionalism in their state. If they do not know that the car is a GT clone or a 916 clone they should not say that it is. I do not fault the dealer for not knowing as much about 914s as the people on this board but I do fault them for acting like they do know more about 914s then they really do, making false claims, on an overpriced car.

It is not fair to the buyer and may potentially be a crime (although I'm really not sure about that).

Douglas
Anton
QUOTE(Mountain914 @ Jul 3 2003, 12:17 PM)
remember, I have a NARP - all you concours enthusiasts bite your tounges!

Non Original Racing Porsche???
TVR Enthusiast
There's a grill on the front bumper. That looks dumb. Guess whoever made it doesn't like the wonderful world of mid-engined sportscars tongue.gif
seanery
QUOTE(TVR Enthusiast @ Jul 3 2003, 04:31 PM)
There's a grill on the front bumper. That looks dumb. Guess whoever made it doesn't like the wonderful world of mid-engined sportscars tongue.gif

Uh....that would be for the OIL COOLER...
VegasRacer
Deflation must be affecting the economy.
I saw the car a few weeks ago on their web site.
Then the price was $39,900 and it cost $100,000 to build.
At least the motor is still a 3.0 and did not shrink to a 2.7
photos
Lawrence
Hey! He fixed the ad!! smilie_pokal.gif

Cool beans... nice to see honest folks on evilBay.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Cdn Teener
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 3 2003, 02:18 PM)
Hey!  He fixed the ad!!   smilie_pokal.gif

Cool beans... nice to see honest folks on evilBay.

Good to see indeed.

Here's a Question, maybe some of you racer/conversion Guru's out there might know....

What is this Red Knob/Stick there for??

And no I don't mean the heater control one, smartasses finger.gif
Qarl
Geez Rusty!

Every time I correct someone in an ad... they get really nasty! (remember the shift knob crap!)

Too bad Sarasota is 4 hours away... it would be fun to drive that car.

It HAS been for sale for over a year... so the price is too high.

It does look done right (except I think the red and yellow are too much for the engine).

I don't like the white-faced gauges, but then again I'm going to be customizing my gauges too, so I can't gripe too much.

Regards,

Karl
Lawrence

Mark,

That's the hand throttle. It's used in lieu of a choke for cold starts on a 914/6 with carbs.

-Rusty
Cdn Teener
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 3 2003, 02:31 PM)
That's the hand throttle.  It's used in lieu of a choke for cold starts on a 914/6 with carbs.

Ahh...many thanks, pray.gif I am still a 914 "youngster" boldblue.gif but the wealth of knoledge here is amazing. w00t.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Cdn Teener @ Jul 3 2003, 02:26 PM)

Here's a Question, maybe some of you racer/conversion Guru's out there might know....

It is a controll for the brake proportioning valve.
So you can change the front/rear brake %'s.
Some are dial type. This style has 5 or 7 pre-set positions.
Lawrence
Hey Vegas.. is that what it is? Looks like a throttle control to me.

-Rusty
VegasRacer
I could be wrong.
It sure looks like the Tilton I had in a previous car.
JRust
I gotta say that is one beautiful 914! I'd love to own it! Of course I probably wouldn't pay that kinda money for one. Then again if I had that kinda money to blow I probably would wacko.gif . Heck I'd pay to see that car in real life let alone drive it calvin.gif
Steve
On a 914-6 the hand throttle is in front of the stick shift or between the stick shift and the dash.
It's actually a rod that pushed the accelerator pedal.

Steve
Lawrence
Steve's right... I wasn't looking closely!
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Cdn Teener @ Jul 3 2003, 02:26 PM)

MDB2.gif Racers - 1
smash.gif Conversion Guru's - 0

smilie_wirdgut.gif beerchug.gif flag.gif
VegasRacer
I looked at the super-size photos again and it looks like the same handle.
I can't see the bottom well enough to see the ratchet part.
In the front trunk photo there seems to be an extra line comming off the master cylinder area.
That would be consistant with adding a proportioning valve.
In that same photo you can see that he has the master electric cut off switch located in the trunk.
It should be on the outside of the car so you can get at it in an emergency situation.
Frederickcr
To ALL of you out there. I am sincerely sorry. I am the culprit behind the ad on Ebay for the 916 clone, 914/6 GT, and whatever other mistakes I made. I am the Internet manager and when I placed that ad up there, I had based my information on a magazine article I had read on the Internet, a stack of receipts, and information that people had told me. It is impossible to know everything about every car. We carry such a wide variety that it is hard trying to properly display the correct information about every car. Sometimes I make a mistake. But ya know if it wasn’t for 2 of you that were kind enough to tell me the correct information I wouldn’t have known. So to Douglas & Lawrence I want to say THANK YOU! You are both Gentleman. I have made the corrections on Ebay. I wasn’t trying to misrepresent, mislead, or cheat anyone. If you think about it ….. who really is going to be interested in this car? It would be someone just like yourselves, who know what these cars really are. I am Sorry.

Frederick C. Regina
krk
Frederick,

Damn straight post. Welcome to the board!

kim.
VegasRacer
Frederick - If you are going post messages like this, you are liable to give used car salesmen a good name. Your honesty and integrity is to be applauded. If you read some of the other threads on this BBS you will find that there is a wealth of knowledge here. Sometimes dispensed in a ruthless manner. You are welcome here anytime. beer.gif
Lawrence
I don't like the white-faced gauges, but then again I'm going to be customizing my gauges too, so I can't gripe too much.

What are you doing to your gauges? I need to pull out my gauges and send them to PA Speedo for complete refurbishment and custom screening. When they're done (800 dollars later, is the estimate), I think they'll be the gauges that SHOULD have been put in the 914!

-Rusty
Frederickcr
THANK YOU VERY MUCH KIM !!!
Jeroen
I don't get the b-ing and moaning about "false advertising"
If you know what a 916 or GT is, then you know this is not what you're bidding on.
If you don't know... it doesn't matter anyway biggrin.gif

The smog-issue on the other hand could cause problems

A big thumbs up for the seller to rectify his ad and even speaking up here on the BBS

The car looks absolutely great (has got me thinking about black again, I know I shouldn't but it looks so good...)
The modified front bumper and specially the splitter are very cool IMO

cheers,

Jeroen
MarkV
Frederick is abviously a stand-up kinda of guy. You can't ask for more than the above.

Hey Frederick,

Do they let you take any of the inventory home for the night. I'll bet that car would scare the $$it out of you, I know it would me. mueba.gif
Frederickcr
THANK YOU VEGAS RACER! I will now ask for help, now that I know where to ask it.
Frederickcr
That Car I only got to drive around in the parking lot so I could take the pictures. It spends it's days inside an air conditioned showroom waiting for it's new owner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.