Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
Over last winter I replaced the sail and roll bar vinyl, I cleaned and sanded all the surfaces and used 3M spray 90. Now it's bubbling and lifting.
Before I tear into it and redo again I need input on what I possibly did wrong in the process.
Thanks all
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tomh @ Jul 4 2017, 10:36 PM) *

Over last winter I replaced the sail and roll bar vinyl, I cleaned and sanded all the surfaces and used 3M spray 90. Now it's bubbling and lifting.
Before I tear into it and redo again I need input on what I possibly did wrong in the process.
Thanks all

Did you follow this process?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=14625
Tom_T
I've had similar results with the 3M adhesive sprays lately - both their 90 & High Temp - & did the type of prep Eric lays out in that link to the sail vinyl techniques, when I redid some of the interior vinyl in our Westy resto in 2013-14.

It just seems to dry, bubble & peel after about 12-24 months - & mine was an interior application - not exposed to direct sunlight.

I'm wondering if 3M has changed to formulations to meet CARB & EPA air quality standards, so that it now doesn't work as well as the old stuff? confused24.gif

If new adhesives, paints, coatings, cleaners, etc. are changed to be more "environmentally friendly" but then require the use of more material &/or lasts less long & needs to be done more often - again more material used, then couldn't that just offset any saved impacts byt the more volume &/or cumulative product use impacts? Just saying ....! dry.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
tomh
I did study that thread before undergoing the install of the new vinyl. I guess the real question should be what adhesive should we use now. The initial install I did worked and looked very nice then it seems when it got warmer here in the Bay Area it started to get gooey.
Has anyone used any other type adhesive.
Front yard mechanic
I used the 3m spray on my chevy headliner it too failed in about 18 months so used brush on contact cement made for laminate ! keeping my fingers crossed headbang.gif
Larmo63
I did my white car and used the brush on stuff out of the can.

It has held up very well. first.gif
tomh
Sounds like brush on might be the way to go. Might be cleaner also,no real over spray to worry about.
Any particular brand or would any exterior contact cement work?
Mikey914
My personal experience has been it needs to completely flash and just be sticky before assembling. If you put it on while there's too much solvent in the glue still, it bubbles.
90quattrocoupe
Anything with VOCs in it or the propellant itself has been changed due to whatever. I have found though that small portions of the original product can sometimes, still be found.

This does hold true for most products from the larger companies like 3m. They sell too much of a product, not to reformulate.

I have found that products from VAG, still have the original formulas. You can tell by the smell. They get away with it, because it comes in small quantities, such as less than quart size.

I have found this adhesive to be quite good.

Greg W.

IPB Image
tomh
Where do you get that, is it a VW product?
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(tomh @ Jul 6 2017, 12:03 PM) *

Where do you get that, is it a VW product?

Yes, part # toward the bottom of the can. Not cheap.

Greg W.
porschetub
QUOTE(tomh @ Jul 5 2017, 04:36 PM) *

Thanks all

Never personally had any luck with spray can contact glue,for that reason I don't buy it anymore,used a product called Ados F38,takes high temp,waterproof and sticks really well,brush on and make sure it tacks right off,when all the solvents have vented off it shouldn't bubble.
Been using a waterbased glue lately to finish putting down floor planks in my house,now that s#it really sticks,tried it on other applications and it was useless confused24.gif .

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.