Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
Not finding anyone with availability of a used in good shape passenger side SS exhaust I may have to go with the AA offered alternative. Understanding these are produced off the old SSI tooling moved to Taiwan was wondering about Member experience with these items.
I've heard of some issues with the offshore produced Dansk mufflers but not the SS exhausts.

Any purchasers out there with input of the quality.

Thanks All
914_teener
Not sure where mine were manufactured but two of the mounting ears that bolt to the heads cracked. I repaired them by rewelding them and have had no problems since and I would notion from how long I have had them ....8 years or so that they are SSI.

One thing for sure that I know is that if the wrong stainless alloy is used for the tubing and if consideration is not taken on how the forming is done, they will crack. Particulary where the heat cycling and forming stresses are the highest.

Other than that I don.t have experience with any manuf in Taiwan.

Others may know more history than I.
Mikey914
SSI sold the tooling in the last 36 months, I would suspect any issues with cracking and anything else would only be showing up in daily drivers at this point.
IronHillRestorations
The biggest issue I have with the reproduction heat exchangers is the sealing surface that bolts to the head.

Stock heat exchangers have a thick sealing surface, but the SSI's flange is only the thickness of the exhaust tubing, which is about 1/3 of the sealing surface. This makes them easily deformed and they are notorious for sealing problems.

The other problem that's very typical is the sealing surfaces aren't parallel and most of the time require filing to level.
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 5 2017, 12:56 PM) *

SSI sold the tooling in the last 36 months, I would suspect any issues with cracking and anything else would only be showing up in daily drivers at this point.

Thanks Mikey
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 5 2017, 12:56 PM) *

Thanks Mikey
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 5 2017, 01:03 PM) *

The biggest issue I have with the reproduction heat exchangers is the sealing surface that bolts to the head.

Stock heat exchangers have a thick sealing surface, but the SSI's flange is only the thickness of the exhaust tubing, which is about 1/3 of the sealing surface. This makes them easily deformed and they are notorious for sealing problems.

The other problem that's very typical is the sealing surfaces aren't parallel and most of the time require filing to level.

agree.gif
Do not let a gorilla loose tightening them up, M8 = 18ft/lb. If they don't seal up take them off and square up the tubes.
Don't just keep cranking. rolleyes.gif
Garland
Try double gasketing the copper sealing rings, it has work for me in the past.
reharvey
agree.gif
reharvey
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 5 2017, 01:03 PM) *

agree.gif
IronHillRestorations
Anything in a bind I guess, but I've never used two exhaust gaskets in the port.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jul 5 2017, 07:27 PM) *

Anything in a bind I guess, but I've never used two exhaust gaskets in the port.

Neither have I, fix them right and you only need one gasket.
jim_hoyland
Would stub pipes help ? Thanks i
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.