Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 914 1.8L - 3,192 miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Larmo63
I could see this price if it was a more desirable year and didn't have the air conditioning issues. There must have been two swinging di*ks fighting it out trying to get it.

It's a neat car, just not my cup of tea.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 18 2017, 10:30 PM) *

Replacement body panels? Read the catalog.

I did. Air conditioning installed, and then removed. That means body panels cut and then repaired with new REPLACEMENT metal.

An overpriced car with replacement panels. Absurd.

--DD
My 914
Crazy things happen when people make decisions with their ego as opposed to their brain.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 19 2017, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 18 2017, 10:30 PM) *

Replacement body panels? Read the catalog.

I did. Air conditioning installed, and then removed. That means body panels cut and then repaired with new REPLACEMENT metal.

An overpriced car with replacement panels. Absurd.

--DD

Excuse me sir I apologize if I offended you. unsure.gif I did not know that. Wow, I bet the buyer was unaware.
horizontally-opposed
Irrational exuberance? Well sold? Or well bought? Only one thing is clear: This transaction made sense to at least two people in the moment.

We'll get a better measure of everything else in time. It will be interesting to see how other super low mile 914s do in the next 12-36 months—especially 1973-1974 2.0 cars—before saying this is a real benchmark. But...it sure seems to be something of a new high-water mark. I can't get my head around a 1975 1.8 for this kind of money, or any 914-4 for that matter. I love 914s, but that's GT4 money. 996 GT3 money. 987.2 Boxster Spyder money. Decent 911T money. Nice 912 money. Brand new and nicely equipped 718 money—or loaded Macan money. Used 997 or 991 money. For a 1975 914 1.8 you can't drive without killing the very thing that makes it worth what you paid—for a hot minute in 2017.

Okay, maybe one other thing is clear: A lot of people have very, very fond memories of their 914s or those of their friends/parents/coworkers/etc. Even so, I am still reeling at this price. We can be sure it will be in a lot of the auction reports. Will be curious to see what the usual auction pundits have to say about it.
Michael N
Russo and Steele right next door to RM auctions just sold this /6 tonight for $105k. I think some watching were surprised because the 1999 F355 Ferrari before it was about $40k less.

Click to view attachment
SchwarzHorse
That $85,000 hammer selling price is great news for my lighter, faster, better looking '73 914S Black-Edition ! piratenanner.gif
mepstein
Buyer thought it was a six? confused24.gif
PlaysWithCars
Wow! The 914 has finally arrived on the collector scene.
Big Len
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Aug 20 2017, 12:58 PM) *

agree.gif This ends the debate.
mepstein

Maybe but one sale doesn't make a trend.
iwanta914-6
I guess I should go buy this local '75 1.8L! biggrin.gif

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/...6244985955.html
boxsterfan
Seems like the actual 3,xxx original miles on the car played into the $85K bid. 3,xxx original miles!!! new_shocked.gif
7TPorsh
How can you even validate the mileage on these? Easy to just swap out a speedo.....did the factory seal or paint the connections like they do now? tamper proofing?
I am sure there are cases where cars may have these super low miles but I always wonder...
Big Len
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 20 2017, 04:18 PM) *

Maybe but one sale doesn't make a trend.

True, but there's a lot of evidence a trend has started. Pano magazine's numerous 914 articles, the rapid rise of in the cost of NOS parts, Amelia Island honors the marque, the increase in cars for sale over $15K and sold cars over $20K. A lot of views have changed about our little cars. It seems safe for big time collectors and hard core Porsche people to admit they really like 914s.
GregAmy
$93,500 with fees.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/mo17/monterey/lo...-914-18/1703704
gereed75
why do you think Amelia chose to "honor the marque"? Do you really think because they just loved 914's??

The guys in this business have to create demand for cars that are available and have appreciation potential. 914's represent a pool of potential cash flow - they are out there, they have room to appreciate - all you have to do is create demand.

Grist for the mill.
Big Len
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Aug 21 2017, 09:01 PM) *

why do you think Amelia chose to "honor the marque"? Do you really think because they just loved 914's??

The guys in this business have to create demand for cars that are available and have appreciation potential. 914's represent a pool of potential cash flow - they are out there, they have room to appreciate - all you have to do is create demand.

Grist for the mill.

You really believe 914 demand is premeditated by what, some guys in an office tower somewhere after years of disparaging the car? That's too much of a conspiracy theory for me. I think the demand is grass roots basic.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Aug 21 2017, 11:54 AM) *

How can you even validate the mileage on these? Easy to just swap out a speedo.....did the factory seal or paint the connections like they do now? tamper proofing?
I am sure there are cases where cars may have these super low miles but I always wonder...

That is why there is evidence to backup their claim bud. An auction like Sotheby's would not sell fradulent items like some shmuck on craigslist.

An auction site like Sotheby's, people have money to burn. I bet that had to do with the price. 3xxxx original miles is super rare though. Imagine if someone had a LE with that many original miles in that shape? Wow drooley.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ Aug 19 2017, 01:35 PM) *

Excuse me sir I apologize if I offended you.

I'm not offended--I'm just grumpy... wink.gif

--DD
dlkawashima
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 21 2017, 09:15 AM) *

I guess I should go buy this local '75 1.8L! biggrin.gif

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/cto/...6244985955.html

Maybe you should take a look at it ... you might be pleasantly surprised.

Click to view attachment
Cal
Looks like Spike Feresten bought this car.....he just posted it on his Instagram page.

pete000
Nice to see some mileage going on it after all these years of sitting in mothballs !
My 914
Looks as good as it did 42 years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.