Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 914 1.8L - 3,192 miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cal
If valid, this might be the lowest mileage 914 on the planet....it should be interesting to see what it brings at the RM auction next month.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/mo17/monterey/lo...-914-18/1703704
914Sixer
Interesting. Why is the front hood bowed? Forgot to close it for pictures?
bretth
Very pretty. Interesting that some have the square defroster switch between the seats and other have the round switch in the dash like mine has.
Ed_Turbo
Are we taking bets? I say 11.5k biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 6 2017, 08:51 AM) *
Interesting. Why is the front hood bowed? Forgot to close it for pictures?
Other pix indicate it closes fine with no bowing. It's possible that it just might be the original mileage ... everything on the car looks clean and original confused24.gif
mepstein
I think someone posted this car a year ago. Nice!
JeffBowlsby
I am sure this is the same car: 42 large a few years ago...

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zRS_42000_2013Jun.pdf

euro911
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 6 2017, 11:13 AM) *

WOW ... $42k blink.gif
bretth
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 6 2017, 02:13 PM) *

Wow that is very high for 2013. Can't imagine it goes for that much now. I'd rather have a shabby but driveable -6 for that money.
SKL1
Weird that the info says it has AC, but the pictures sure don't show it, either in front trunk or interior...
Racer
Curious about the price but never a 914 combo I've ever wanted... Heaviest, slowest model ever.
DennisO
I just bought a 1975 1.8l project that was built in 1/75. This low mileage car was built in 12/74. My gauge cluster dash does not have the EGR and CAT lights. Did a previous owner remove them from my dash or did Porsche remove them?

Click to view attachment
bretth
QUOTE(DennisO @ Jul 6 2017, 09:03 PM) *

I just bought a 1975 1.8l project that was built in 1/75. This low mileage car was built in 12/74. My gauge cluster dash does not have the EGR and CAT lights. Did a previous owner remove them from my dash or did Porsche remove them?

I think that is the California only EGR version. My 1975 1.8 doesn't have them either. There is also a device that counts the miles until the catalyst needs replacement and that turns the light on. Can see the extra egr stuff in the engine pictures.
euro911
I replaced the plastic gauge panel with an earlier metal one on my '75 and ditched the lights ... running carbs with early 2.0L SSI HE. The mileage counter box is gone as well wink.gif
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(DennisO @ Jul 6 2017, 06:03 PM) *

Click to view attachment

You must have a 49-state model then. Those dash lights were for CA-only models.

Many of the high value low-mile 914s turn out to be 1.8L cars for some reason. Value seems related more to condition than any other factor -engine size, color, or model year.
DennisO
Interesting. Is there a way to distinguish between a Calif car and the rest of the USA? The PET catalog only shows one option for the gauge panel.
SKL1
Have to admit the only thing that interests me about that car is the low mileage, assuming it is solid. Otherwise, as noted above, it is about the least desireable 914, other than maybe a 1970 without the appearance group with 4 1/2" steelies!
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(DennisO @ Jul 6 2017, 07:49 PM) *

Interesting. Is there a way to distinguish between a Calif car and the rest of the USA? The PET catalog only shows one option for the gauge panel.

Some info is on this page, there is more.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Emissions.htm
moldygreg
What's the sticker on the steering wheel?
Racer
QUOTE(moldygreg @ Jul 7 2017, 08:31 PM) *

What's the sticker on the steering wheel?

Starting procedure. Beginning in 1974 with the seat belt interlock system, you had to have the belt buckled before the car would start. I recall seeing one somewhere else recently.. Essentially, sit down, buckle up, start car.
Racer
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jul 7 2017, 12:32 AM) *

Have to admit the only thing that interests me about that car is the low mileage, assuming it is solid. Otherwise, as noted above, it is about the least desireable 914, other than maybe a 1970 without the appearance group with 4 1/2" steelies!

Nah.. I'd rather have the stripper '70 on steelies with Hubcaps please!
My 914
So does a 40+ year old engine with 3000 or so miles last another 60, 80 or 100 thousand miles without much trouble? In other words, do the low miles give it some inherent longevity or does its age mean that it will need major service sooner than later.
IronHillRestorations
My 914, that is a collector car that may not ever get started. It's worth a lot because of the mileage, and at least two people that can afford to bid it up.
euro911
... and it appears to only have amassed an additional 212 miles on it since it sold in June of 2013.
orthobiz
From what I remember, CA and VA had those little extra bumperettes on the front and back, could distinguish cars delivered to those states.

Paul
JeffBowlsby
It was CA and MD that had the bumperguards.

Here is a brochure with the differences for the 1975-76 cars:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zMan_1975_S...iningManual.pdf
Ed_Turbo
Estimated at 40-50k without reserve.

18-19 August 2017 ...save the date. There are some nice vehicles in the lot.
Dave_Darling
A quick note to the auctioneers got a response:

- There is no center console, just the armrest or cushion. (Odd terminology, but whatever.)
- There is air conditioning, but it was uninstalled. The parts will come with the car. They did not specify what work was done to the car when the system was removed, but the PO told them it was removed because the installation was "amateurish".
- They are "confident" that the car actually has 3000-odd miles, and that the odometer has not rolled over, from interviews with people who knew the car and service records and such.

--DD
maf914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 27 2017, 03:21 PM) *

A quick note to the auctioneers got a response:

- There is no center console, just the armrest or cushion. (Odd terminology, but whatever.)
- There is air conditioning, but it was uninstalled. The parts will come with the car. They did not specify what work was done to the car when the system was removed, but the PO told them it was removed because the installation was "amateurish".
- They are "confident" that the car actually has 3000-odd miles, and that the odometer has not rolled over, from interviews with people who knew the car and service records and such.

--DD

Apparently the car had dealer installed A/C which was later removed, which means it has the typical dealer inflicted mutilations to the body. These include chopped engine shelf and engine cooling tins for the oversize York compressor, chopped front trunk floor for the condenser, and multiple holes cut for various A/C hoses and wiring. It would be interesting to see how these were dealt with after the A/C removal.
Ed_Turbo
I think you guys are missing the point. This was largely a showroom kept vehicle and it is very hard to find this little fella in such good original condition.

Who thinks there is even a little bit of rust lurking? I bet there is.
My 914
It's a pretty car. I hope whoever buys it drives it at least occasionally. It's a nostalgic representation of the Porsche brand and it would be good for people to see it.
porschetub
HHHmmm..not really sure,unless its been recomissioned properly it would be a maintenance nightmare,cars are made to be driven,bought a really low mileage vehicle years ago and it was a total PITA ...huge issues ,folks say stuff like it needs nothing cause it only has low mileage,thats rubbish as there is no way to store an unused car for a long period without resulting issues.
Also hardly a year build that people are really attracted too.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jul 28 2017, 05:54 PM) *

HHHmmm..not really sure,unless its been recomissioned properly it would be a maintenance nightmare,cars are made to be driven,bought a really low mileage vehicle years ago and it was a total PITA ...huge issues ,folks say stuff like it needs nothing cause it only has low mileage,thats rubbish as there is no way to store an unused car for a long period without resulting issues.
Also hardly a year build that people are really attracted too.

Thanks! blink.gif

Tomorrow is the day see how the market is for these 914's. I am thinking they will not sell as much as the 6's right now. Check it out live on their website. type.gif
iwanta914-6
$85K? WTF?!?!
914Next
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 18 2017, 10:40 PM) *

$85K? WTF?!?!

https://www.facebook.com/chad.comeau.1/vide...12265329122298/
Dave_Darling
That is insane. That much money for a car with replacement body panels???

--DD
Mueller
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 18 2017, 07:40 PM) *

$85K? WTF?!?!

Holy moly, I'm increasing the coverage on my car!

euro911
yikes.gif

Are used parts prices really going to go out of control now?
Ed_Turbo
Click to view attachment

Mueller
QUOTE(euro911 @ Aug 18 2017, 09:49 PM) *

yikes.gif

Are used parts prices really going to go out of control now?

Maybe that guy down in SoCal with the $1.5 million asking price for his inventory of used parts will finally find a buyer.
Ed_Turbo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 18 2017, 07:57 PM) *

That is insane. That much money for a car with replacement body panels???

--DD

Replacement body panels? Read the catalog.
bretth
Suddenly the six is the bargain 914. I have a 75 1.8. Anyone wanna trade up their 6 for my four? Still a few <$1500 914s for sale around here maybe time to start hording.

Brett
EdwardBlume
I would have guessed $50-60K, but the buyer wanted the car I guess. I wonder if he (or she) will reinstall the A/C? lol-2.gif
My 914
Sometimes auctions will bring bargains for buyers and sometimes, as I think happened in this case, prices are driven up if someone with the money decides they really want the car.
Cal
Here's the car when porboy owned it back in 2013.....it still had the A/C installed.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=208478&hl=
Big Len
Auction prices are driven by at least two people who want the car, in this case, two crazy people. Wow.
rhodyguy
Rediculus. That's without buyer's premium, yes?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 19 2017, 05:28 AM) *

Here's the car when porboy owned it back in 2013.....it still had the A/C installed.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=208478&hl=

Porboy was the owner that removed the A/C. Here is another thread with more pictures of the car:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=242321

$85,000 is amazing ... double what I thought it could fetch.
My 914
Is that the highest price paid for a 4 cylinder 914?
JeffBowlsby
So this car sold in 2013 for $42K. I found another auction result for it in Nov 2016 for $40,700. And now for $85K.

Amazing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.