Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seatbelt Nut in Long
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
amfab
I am looking for a seat belt nut/reinforcement thingy in the longitudinal.

I need one, and was wondering if anybody makes this. I am sure I can probably fab something up, but it would be one less thing on my list if someone already makes one.

TIA

-Andrew
Mike Bellis
in the US, 99% of cars have a 7/16"-20 thread pitch for the seatbelt. So you might be able to find any type of vehicle repair nut and make it work.
Mark Henry
VW aircooled bug shop.
Mike Bellis
Here's a repair piece...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Seat-Belt-Bungs-...a99&vxp=mtr
Rand
Do you have a bolt that threads into it? If so, take it to your local hardware store and find a nut that fits.
Mark Henry
I forget the pitch, but IIRC it's an oddball, you could try Fastenal or Bell metric.

That said I'm pretty sure about a bug shop having the repair bit. 914 has the same hardware as a 70's bug.
Mark Henry
cip1 sells these, I thought they would be metric confused24.gif

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...ode=C27-SEC6814

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...e=C45-20304-SET
Rand
Or if you are replacing it anyway, find a standard but appropriate bolt and nut pair at your hardware store. Not even a CCW would catch it. (I hear the voices of purists talking about tensile strength, yada. Buy quality hardware. I just hate it when there are super specialized parts that don't need to be.)

Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jul 9 2017, 04:51 PM) *

in the US, 99% of cars have a 7/16"-20 thread pitch for the seatbelt. So you might be able to find any type of vehicle repair nut and make it work.

You're right! Even on euro cars, due to US mandated standards.
I didn't know that. popcorn[1].gif

Here's a C&P from the samba

rsxsr wrote:
Seatbelts use a unique bolt. It is a strong grade and odd thread pitch so that you can't accidentally put in cheap hardware.

7/16" SAE fine-thread grade 8 bolt/nut are utilized
throughout the North American Vanagon Seat Belt system...

Kinda weird on a metric built automobile....
Metric bolts and nuts get close to fitting but are a NO-GO.
The 7/16" SAE fine thread grade 8 stuff works 100%. Wink
So far in my searches.. I have not located a square nut in this size?... I've used hex nuts in my repairs of this ongoing problem.

Begs the question: are European Transporters using this SAE
bolt system on the seat-belts?

Pz

I can't say for sure, but probably so. the US safety standard FMVS209 stipulates the size of 7/16-20 or equivalent. So you will find this same size on many non-US cars - European and Asians ones too, at least on models heading to the US. I suspect that many non-US models still use the 7/16-20 size as well.
The Asians ones seem to "cheat" - but just by a hair, literally. My measurements indicates they are probably using M11-1.25 - only about 0.003" difference. (Note, not really cheating - it is equivalent)

Strength is indeed grade 8 which is the same as the metric property class 10.9 (150,000 psi / 1040 MPa - same hardness of HRC 33-39), so some of the European companies put 10.9 on the head.

GM switched to M12-1.75 seat belt bolts several years back, but their global spec is 7/16-20 now - per the request of their non-US divisions!
amfab
You guys all rock!

Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.