Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Cap'n is gettin' Krusty!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cap'n Krusty
Over the last few days, it seems to me that a LOT of the advice given in response to technical questions here has deteriorated into STUPID, reckless, irresponsible, and downright dangerous! If you're offended by this comment, you just might be one of the guilty! When a lister asks for advice, it is good to READ THE QUESTION!. Then, it's good to think about what might be the problem, what you know to be fact, and give a reasonable answer based on REALITY! If anyone wants me to cite some examples, please ask. If you've been following some of the technical threads in the past week, you've seen them ......... STUPID is what made the Cap'n krusty! If you DON'T READ the question, or DON'T understand it, then DON'T reply with senseless innanities!
As for technical answers, there are reasonable differences of opinion among many of us with lots of experience working on 914s. Doesn't make any of us wrong, just different. But making answers that have NO BASIS in reality or fact isn't a simple difference of opinion, it's damaging to the efforts of the person asking the question!
End of Rant! The Cap'n
JFJ914
You're sooo right! Thanks for the reality check. beerchug.gif
J P Stein
Jeze, Cap'n is this new?

Part of this place is the fact that someone can say sumthin' really....really stupid and no one jumps up and yells "You are an ignorant Mother ****** and don't deserve to be breathing our air".....not that I've ever thought that dry.gif

*Most* of the time, really dumb shit will get corrected before anyone gets hurt. Sometimes the person asking the question wouldn't see the right answer if it smacked him twixt the eyes. wacko.gif

I say my piece & move on....like on this thread. wavey.gif
Howard
Interesting post. I come here about half for the real advice and half for the yucks. OK, a bit more for the yucks. The sandbox is a good start, but if we're going to have a non car thread, why not post it on the new 'mystery' web site and leave Andy's bandwidth for real 914 info?

We could post our O/T, jokes, puppy/baby pix, social events, etc. over there and do the tech schtuff there, so when you rally want help, you don't need to strain yourself as much. And agreed, some of the smart ass replies here when you're looking for help are a PITA.

Those who want to see bunny ears, groping, and the other things that make this club great can meet over there. Just my dos centavos.
Mark Henry
Cap'n, I think that one takes a 16mm nut ....

Howard...who ya callin' smart ass

smile.gif
black73
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 15 2005, 11:12 AM)
 If anyone wants me to cite some examples, please ask.  

OK, i'm asking.
J P Stein
QUOTE (black73 @ May 15 2005, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 15 2005, 11:12 AM)
 If anyone wants me to cite some examples, please ask.  

OK, i'm asking.

Aw.....now whada go & do that fer? Time to go out to the shop till the dust settles laugh.gif
StratPlayer
"AMEN"
greenie
As a "Newbie" I'm definately more exposed to bad advice.

The posts I don't understand go something like this...

Someone asks : I'm adjusting my valves for the 1st time .What is the proper clearance?

Replied Post: I think it's .006 on Intake & .008 on the exhaust, but I don't have my book handy.

What's the point of this???

I've noticed there are some differing opinions on this particular topic & it made for some
serious anxiety for me not understanding the damage I may do the 1st time I tackeled the project. It's just more stuff to sift thru.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (greenie @ May 15 2005, 01:19 PM)
Someone asks : I'm adjusting my valves for the 1st time .What is the proper clearance?

Replied Post: I think it's .006 on Intake & .008 on the exhaust, but I don't have my book handy.

What's the point of this???

compounded by the fact that often the "someone" doesn't leave you any clue as to what kind of engine and whether or not said engine still has its original sodium valves (for those cars that had them originally). it all matters.

but part of the problem is that anyone asking for valve clearance specs hasn't done the homework. these numbers are in all the common manuals, and they're in the spec book, and most significasnt, they're on a stickar than came on the car (although many of those are long gone...)

the other part of the problem is that MOST questions have already been asked (and answered) before and 10 minutes spent searching the message base would turn up 2 years' worth of answers.
Mueller
I have to side with the Cap'n on this one..

Yes, even if the "correct" answer in posted, the "totally" wrong person should edit thier answer or delete it....

exp. what size of steering wheel nut??
(bigger than 7/8")
what kind of answer is that???

do i have a 901 or 915 transmission, my shift pattern goes like this.....?
(sounds like a 915)
again wrong answer...

a fuse keeps blowing when I turn on my radio??
(put in bigger fuse)
that's a real bright answer wacko.gif

I know I've been guilty of giving the wrong advice, but I try to go back and fix it....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ May 15 2005, 09:12 AM)
If anyone wants me to cite some examples, please ask

yes please. let's put the perpetrators into the lime-light!

slap.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SirAndy @ May 15 2005, 03:29 PM)
yes please. let's put the perpetrators into the lime-light!

agree.gif

i don't like being wrong, but if (when...) i am, i hope someone will let me know so i won't have to go on being wrong...

one of the good things about having friends like John Larson (Cap'n Krusty) is that he is not afraid to call you on something you've said wrong. there are things about which we just don't agree, which is cool, but we know that when we say something that's a bit misguided (it goes both ways...) we can be corrected, and learn, and it has nothing to do with our friendship.

we have some legitimate experts here, and when one of them tells you something you've posted is wrong, boys and girls, you have an opportunity to learn something.

i learn something every day, if i'm lucky, and sometimes, some of the things i learn are that stuff i thought i knew is actually wrong...
redshift
Good deal! I have laughed at the tail chasing methods myself..

If your shifter gets stiff when hot, you still need gear oil, you Krusty Baastaad!

tongue.gif

M
jim912928
Mueller....I really don't like being misquoted....in the 915 or 901 post only 1 person used the "sounds like" message and that was me. Unfortunately you misquoted me....I said:

"the 915 in my 911 has reverse to the far right and down. 1st is far left and up..2nd straight down...etc etc. Sounds like you have a 901. "

So, if we are going to use good examples of folks who don't know what they are talking about, let's at least be accurate in showing inaccurate responses.
bondo
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 15 2005, 12:38 PM)

i don't like being wrong, but if (when...) i am, i hope someone will let me know so i won't have to go on being wrong...

one of the good things about having friends like John Larson (Cap'n Krusty) is that he is not afraid to call you on something you've said wrong. there are things about which we just don't agree, which is cool, but we know that when we say something that's a bit misguided (it goes both ways...) we can be corrected, and learn, and it has nothing to do with our friendship.

we have some legitimate experts here, and when one of them tells you something you've posted is wrong, boys and girls, you have an opportunity to learn something.

i learn something every day, if i'm lucky, and sometimes, some of the things i learn are that stuff i thought i knew is actually wrong...

Well said! I hope I'm not one of the offenders, but if I am I don't have any problem with being corrected. I try to help out whenever I can, and I admit that I have passed on the advise of others, if I thought it made sense. I even try to help with type IV stuff, even though I don't even own one anymore.

I think the good advice outweighs the bad, for the most part. I've gotten to know who the experts are, and I weight their comments more. I also give a question thread plenty of time to play out before I act. If I'm not happy with the answers, I do my best to figure it out on my own. Troubleshooting is often a guessing game, and I don't mind extra guesses as long as it's clear they're guesses.
Trekkor
Hopefully my advise on Weber float bowl fuel height settings wasn't wrong...anytime fuel is involved, it can be dangerous. unsure.gif

KT
redshift
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ May 15 2005, 03:38 PM)

Man you are always speaking the truth.

Anytime I have talked with any teener guys who are in the know, they always bring up the Cap'n's experience, and knowlege.

M
Mueller
QUOTE (jim912928 @ May 15 2005, 12:47 PM)
Mueller....I really don't like being misquoted....in the 915 or 901 post only 1 person used the "sounds like" message and that was me. Unfortunately you misquoted me....I said:

"the 915 in my 911 has reverse to the far right and down. 1st is far left and up..2nd straight down...etc etc. Sounds like you have a 901. "

So, if we are going to use good examples of folks who don't know what they are talking about, let's at least be accurate in showing inaccurate responses.

Jim,

It was not your response I had in mind...this was the 1st answer posted to the 901/915 question:

well the shift pattern is no different than a 901.....dont know anythin else

redshift
OH MY GOD THAT GUY IS STUPID!

Who said that?

laugh.gif

M
Eric_Shea
I got some awesome braided lines today... huh.gif
jim912928
Mueller...thanks for the clarification. Guess I'm just high strung this weekend with my junior (girl) and senior (boy) in high school both at the same proms..teens here non-stop...and I let my son take the 928 for the past two days and haven't seen it back yet! lol
Eric_Shea
Want some bad advice from a guy who doesn't have teenagers? confused24.gif

laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
or worse...advice from me.... laugh.gif
redshift
laugh.gif Eric.

Shut up, Aaron.

M
Eric_Shea
agree.gif Shut up Aaron.

w00t.gif

(we're gonna take the Cap'n's bout with M-PMS and hijack the shit out of it... sorry Krustmiester) slap.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 15 2005, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (jim912928 @ May 15 2005, 12:47 PM)
Mueller....I really don't like being misquoted....in the 915 or 901 post only 1 person used the "sounds like" message and that was me.  Unfortunately you misquoted me....I said:

Jim,

It was not your response I had in mind...this was the 1st answer posted to the 901/915 question:

well the shift pattern is no different than a 901.....dont know anythin else

I read that as stating that the shift patten he was discribing his car having was no different than a 901, but perhaps I was interpreting it wrong so it would be a right answer. smile.gif
Twystd1
I would like to Publicly apologize for all the future Bad data that I will be giving club members from time to time.

Now.. That said.

I think the Crusty one is on the right track. I know I have been guilty of of this on at least two occasions. Not because I was making shit up.. it was that my memory isn't what it used to be. I should of checked the data before I wrote about ithe subject matter to be clear as possible that the data was correct.

Now I do a little homework "If NEEDED" on the net or scrounging a teck book and try to answer with empirical data as best I can. Thats the best I can do.
Or I don't write anythig at all.

Then there is the whole "It works for me" deal. Yet it doesn't work for the other guys and a engine blows or something breaks. That is simply going to happen.

Cause it's all in the combination. Many members have very differant combinations from engines to suspension to brakes. Therefore differant rules and specs MAY apply.

Unless it has been explained already in a thread, I have a tendancy to ask for specs and the "Use of the car" before I answer the question. Da Captn is a GREAT example of this. I try to follow his lead often. The Crusty one askes questions sometime repeatedly before he offers up data. On the STF forums quit often you can't get an answer to question without providing all the data for a given problem. THEN you get an answer.

Yeah, Yeah I know this whole SHPIEEEL doesn't pertain to things like bezels for gauges and paint color. Yet it does pertain to answering question where the person could get hurt or something may get VERY EXPENSIVE if we simply droll out perceptions as opposed to known data.

Thats the time to be very careful. Cause the newbies don't know mechanicly the ramifications of lets say running Porterfield Hard pads on the street only to find out they DON'T work hardly at all until you heat em up. Now we have one dead Newbie as he blows through his first intersection.

Of course the end user is responsible for thier actions or inactions. Yet it is imperative that we keep our community safe. Especially the new members. Cause you see my friends... they seem to trust our info as gospel.

Something to think about. I do all the time.

Thanks for a place that I can rant. And thanks Cap'n...

Twystd1

redshift
I ate a little cat food two years ago, because I was being attacked with a spoonful of it.

If you eat something nasty chowtime.gif it can never be used again.... to chase you around the house.

Things do taste like they smell. cool_shades.gif

M
J P Stein
I see we now have a Z wannabe.....tho I can't understand it.....maybe it's the groping thing confused24.gif I ain't gonna loose a lot of sleep over it. Harmless enuff, me thinks

Now if this spreads to the M ........
redshift
Animals can't talk....

M
Mark Henry
and you don't have to wrap your goat in duct tape...
redshift
Saran wrap! smilie_pokal.gif

Keeps the fur off of you, when you get sweaty.

M
brer
animals certainly can talk.

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (brer @ May 15 2005, 05:15 PM)
animals certainly can talk.

just look at Mr Ed biggrin.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE (Sammy @ May 15 2005, 02:51 PM)
My cat's breath smells like cat food.

I bent my wookie sad.gif
airsix
Cap'n,
Thanks for posting this. There's really two reasons for this forum IMHO: Learning, and community. I get the impression that people often hold back when a correction is needed because it might upset the 'community' aspect of the board by hurting someone's feelings. The result though, is that the 'learning' aspect of the board is damaged as a result and we end up "tolerating" misinformation that shouldn't be tolerated.
I'd rather get my pride knocked down a notch once in a while and come away smarter, than to get the thumbs up from everyone and go on being a moron about something I should have been corrected on. You have on occassion done just that - telling me when I was wrong. Rather than being bitter and pouting about it I feel like I've been done a favor, and it's one of the reasons I respect you.

-Ben M.
Eric_Shea
Aaron... what did we tell you? mad.gif
Eric_Shea
5th and 6th post down from the top...

Back on topic. I also enjoy getting proper advice from the board. That Saran Warp one's a winner smilie_pokal.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jim912928 @ May 15 2005, 12:38 PM)
Mueller...thanks for the clarification. Guess I'm just high strung this weekend with my junior (girl) and senior (boy) in high school both at the same proms..teens here non-stop...and I let my son take the 928 for the past two days and haven't seen it back yet! lol

Your son? Would that be "The U-Boat Commander ...........? LOL, The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Ooooooooooh he is Krusty today. I believe he's slam'n the Shark Jim biggrin.gif
redshift
ROFLMAO!

M
jim912928
well...the only people who get picked on worse then 914 owners in porsche circles are 928 owners.....sigh....lmao

oh..and to the Cap'n....still no sign of either my u-boat or the commander..think he's out having too much fun!....I shouldn't have filled the tank up!
jd74914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 15 2005, 04:44 PM)
That Saran Warp one's a winner smilie_pokal.gif

saran wrap?
redshift
Goat covers.

M
SpecialK
QUOTE (redshift @ May 15 2005, 06:40 PM)
Goat covers.

M

I think if you ask nicely Perry Keihl (sp?) can hook you up with a custom fitted goat cover. It'll keep your goat dry incase of a sudden downpour (wet goats.....eeewwww barf.gif ), yet the fabric is breathable so you can enjoy that dry goat aroma. It also has the added benefit of protecting his/her shaved ass from harmful UVa and UVb rays! cool_shades.gif He could also make you a goat cover out of leather....but that would probably be redundant.

disclaimer: To the best of my knowledge, the above advice is sound. The use of said goat cover will not harm the goat in any way, or cause an electrical or fuel related fire to ignite in your 914 engine compartment.........but what do I know. smoke.gif
mihai914
QUOTE (Special_K @ May 15 2005, 10:08 PM)

disclaimer: To the best of my knowledge, the above advice is sound. The use of said goat cover will not harm the goat in any way, or cause an electrical or fuel related fire to ignite in your 914 engine compartment.........but what do I know. smoke.gif

You actually seem to know quite a bit on goats! Kind of scary laugh.gif

Mihai
SpecialK
QUOTE (mihai914 @ May 15 2005, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ May 15 2005, 10:08 PM)

disclaimer:  To the best of my knowledge, the above advice is sound.  The use of said goat cover will not harm the goat in any way, or cause an electrical or fuel related fire to ignite in your 914 engine compartment.........but what do I know. smoke.gif

You actually seem to know quite a bit on goats! Kind of scary laugh.gif

Mihai

Well..... unsure.gif .....that's just what I've heard from some local experts. Which reminds me a funny [or not] story....but I'd better save that for the "sandbox". biggrin.gif
redshift
I just use the saran wrap, and OFF! to cover the smell.

M
SpecialK
QUOTE (redshift @ May 15 2005, 07:17 PM)
I just use the saran wrap, and OFF! to cover the smell.

M

Sounds like a good place for a Stick-up! wink.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.