Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adhesive for Sail Panel Vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Is there a consensus as to what is the BEST spray adhesive to use for sail panel vinyl installation? I am getting ready to do this project and want to do it right.

Ansbacher
Socalandy
I have used 3M high strenth 90 with great success on sail panels and interior work
Mblizzard
My best work was done with HH‑66 Vinyl Cement

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
It's been several years since I've done the vinyl, but I always used 3M Super trim adhesive. If 3M makes a better one, then use it.

Have you done the side vinyl before? There are a few tricks that help.
Ansbacher
As the hooker said "All tricks welcome".
ConeDodger
3M makes a couple different spray on contact adhesives. You want to be careful to check the specs. I believe 90 is the one but don't use it without checking.
The stuff activates with heat so you want to make sure it is ready for the kind of heat your car will see. ie: over 100 F.
Biggest mistake I've made? Not letting it tack out enough.
arne
I did the headliner on the 240Z with either 3M 76 or 77, I'll need to look through my stash to see what I have left over from that job. Was concerned about heat on that job as well, single layer roof baking in the sun. Whichever one I used there worked great for the remaining 4+ years I kept the car. If 90 is better for heat than 76 & 77, it should be fine.

Anyone know when the formulas may have changed to reduce the VOCs? My cans of 3M adhesives are all at least 10 years old.
IronHillRestorations
Read the directions on the back of the can, so you know the tack time.

I trim it to fit after it's all glued down. Just take time and care with a hobby knife.

Lay the material out and let it get nice and flat.

Mask off anything you don't want adhesive on. You can use the centerline of the holes as a line.

Position the vinyl and tape around the edges of the top half, making sure it's exactly where you want it, and won't move.

You are going to glue the bottom half first, and then the top half.

Fold up the bottom half and secure it so you can spray adhesive on the back of the vinyl and the sail panel. You don't want to get too much adhesive in the folded area, as you don't want the line to show. If you don't get enough adhesive sprayed in the crack while you do the bottom, you can fold it down and get it when you do the top half.

Let them tack.

Starting at the horizontal halfway point, slowly and carefully smooth the vinyl, working left and right and slowly rolling the vinyl down on the panel. You can use a small, new clean bondo spreader if you want.

Fold down the top half to the glue line, and repeat the process for the top, rolling the material upwards.

For any mitered corners, make a cut in the middle of the corner not going to close to the edge, overlap the two sides and then cut them both at the same time for good seam.

Don't be afraid to use a few new blades. If it doesn't cut like a scalpel, then toss it.

As a last resort, if you can't work out an air bubble, make a tiny hole with a pin.
Ansbacher
Great suggestions on technique, I will certainly try those methods. My experience with 3M 77 was not good with some interior vinyl down here in the Florida heat. Started to lift after about three months.

Ansbacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.