Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much does your 914 Weigh?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
John
After stripping items out of the interior of our current track car, we decided to put the car on the track scale to find out how much weight we were lugging around.

My track car (3.2 six with a 915/916 gearbox) seems to be heavy:

2280lbs (full gas tank)

Brando
I'd guesstimate about 2300 with a full gas tank. '75 with excess baggage.

Wonder if I can drive into trucking scales and get weighed? biggrin.gif
retrotech
I usually take my cars to the Oregon Dept Of Transportation scales, at truck weigh ins. The guy told me it is accurate to 25-50 ibs. Mine shows 2000 pounds, with a bunch of fiber glass, and 1970 chassis with 6.
I have gone 3 times, to check consistancy, always 2000, 2200 with me in, and I weigh 190.
machina
I was 2088 with me in the car suited up and 1/2 fuel. So I figure the car is around 1850.

Has full steel body and stock bumpers so i think I can get her into the 1700's with fg deck lids and bumpers. (its a 4 cylinder BTW)
VegasRacer
Elvira - 3.0 /6, steel flares, full cage, full interior weighs 2335 w/ half a tank of gas.
My previous 4 cyl race car was stripped and tipped the scales at 1950 lbs. (1/2 tank)
Marv's3.6six
Mine WAS a stock body real six with a 3.2 and 915. Stripped including air ventalation eqp, no headlight motors and had an 8gal fuel cell. @ 2050lbs full tank no driver.

Car is now being turned in GT look with steel flares, 3.6 etc, yippee.
slivel
Mine weighs 2050.
John
You guys are making me feel HEAVY!

My car has F/G front and rear bumpers, F/G hoods, stripped interior, no headlights/buckets/motors, no windshield wipers/motors/linkage.

The car has steel flares, steel doors (with window glass), and a steel cage, stock gas tank (how much does gas weigh?). The car also has 9x16 rims on all 4 corners, and 930 brakes up front. I suppose that some of the stiffening plates, the boxed trailing arms and the cage have a lot to do with the total weight of my car.

Oh, well. The car feels MUCH lighter to me on the track now.

(I've driven it the way it was for the last several years and it is definately faster this year, as I've pissed off all the 993 guys.)

I had heard that the 3.2 and the 915 were much heavier than the 2.0 and the 901....

(anyone know the difference?)
d914
2036 lbs full tank, al 2.5 l six
goose2
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ May 16 2005, 06:25 AM)
(how much does gas weigh?)

About 7 lbs/gallon(US)
HotRod
1820 alone, 2028 with me, helmet in my lap, and 3 gallons of gas in it.
URY914
Not much. biggrin.gif

Paul
brant
I hope to corner balance this weekend and provide an update.

I've been told that 2000 is a tough goal for a -6 powered car.

John, I would think that the door glass, big brakes, and big wheel-tires would add significantly more weight than 15lbs of chassis reinforcement plates and trailing arm reinforcements.
John
I've been told that 2000 is a tough goal for a -6 powered car.

John, I would think that the door glass, big brakes, and big wheel-tires would add significantly more weight than 15lbs of chassis reinforcement plates and trailing arm reinforcements.

That is along the same thought process that I have been thinking, but the door glass and window winders really don't weigh that much, but it is probably significant.

I know my car has too much steel reinforcement as it has a cage, an extended 914-gt stiffening kit, boxed trailing arms, and it also has inner sill reinforcement plates mounted prior to our cage (pre engman's kit). Most of the reinforcement plates were cut from 12 GA (.1046") steel (4.375# per square foot).

I am more interested in finding out if anyone knows the difference in weight between the 901 gearbox and a 915 gearbox, and the weight difference between a 2.0-4 cyl and a 3.2-6 cyl engine. I think that is the major difference.

Thanks for helping me to figure this out.....
groot
I'm at 1860# with no gas and me in it (with helmet).

-4, only f/g rear bumper.... no windshield, though.
John
After doing some searching on the topic, I think I have found some answers.

Vegasracer's car seems to be comparable in weight to my car. I think that my engine/transmission 1987 3.2 coupled to a 1986 915 gearbox is the major contributor to my excessive weight.

According to things I read today, the engine weighs approximately 480lbs and the trans weighs approximately 125lbs. This is a considerable difference from a 4-cyl with a 901 gearbox (300+75).

I think that this must be where most of the discrepency is. Of course, my aftermarket wheels probably weigh more than real FUCHS wheels would, etc., etc. etc.

Thanks for all the input. (but keep sending your weights for comparision)
brant
John,

too little too late, but I have always heard similar numbers.

from a -4 to a -6 is 150lbs... (maybe 20lbs more with an aluminum block)

and I can't exactly remember the 915 weight... but I think the 50lbs is a number I've heard before...

I'll post my metal car weight this weekend if things go as planned.

brant
Joe Ricard
1960 with half tank of gas.
Andyrew
Im Guessing 2350...

Just trying to make you feel better wink.gif

Andrew
Don Wohlfarth
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ May 16 2005, 06:25 AM)
The car has steel flares, steel doors (with window glass), and a steel cage, stock gas tank (how much does gas weigh?). The car also has 9x16 rims on all 4 corners, and 930 brakes up front. I suppose that some of the stiffening plates, the boxed trailing arms and the cage have a lot to do with the total weight of my car.

JOHNMAN, I think you're in decent shape with steel fenders w/flares and steel doors with glass. To make it worse you've got a 74 with the steel I beams in the door. Add in approx 50# with the 915.
My car weights 1980 w/o driver, 2.8 6 cyl w/901, all fiberglass, gutted doors, full cage tied into suspension, NASCAR bar on drivers side, no dash, wipers, blower, 12 gal fuel cell, 8 & 9 X 16 Fuchs. Car has full pan and inner fenders front and back. A month ago I installed a lexan rear window as the noise was getting to me. wink.gif
soloracer
Probably not much help but my car weighs 1400 lbs with a 915 transmission, Sheridan bodywork, roll cage, 911 suspension and Kinesis 17x12 rear / 17x10 back rims and tires. That was without an engine or seats.
John
That was without an engine or seats.

For a minute there, you had me going... Good one.

from a -4 to a -6 is 150lbs... (maybe 20lbs more with an aluminum block)

brandt, I had thought the same thing until I found a thread that listed various weights for various engines here on this board, and started adding it up. Apparently the later model engines are much heavier.

From another thread, I found someone mentioned 125# for a 915 vs 75# for a 901.

Until I get the enclosed trailer, I must make the attempt to keep the rain out by keeping the window glass.

All I know is that my 2280 weight (no driver) was just measured Saturday 05-14-2005 on the track scale at Heartland Park which I am assuming to be accurate. I trust it more than adding up my corner weights (as they are just relative to each other).

It does amaze me at how light some of your cars are, knowing what I (don't) have left to take out of mine....

Just trying to make you feel better

Thanks Andrew.

And lastly...
Not much.

Paul, GO TO YOUR ROOM!

Thanks all.
brant
John,

not that I'm doubting you...
don't take this wrong...
but I'm curious as to how the early -vs- late motors could differ so much. I could see the mag versus aluminum cases differering..... and yes the pistons and cylinders would be bigger, plus the induction would differ a little but it doesn't seem like it would be too much.

Regarding the heartland park scales.
I've personally used the heartland park scales a dozen times.... and I hate the heartland park scales...
So on that point I disagree somewhat. Those @##% scales vary day to day. One time I weighed 20lbs light for class on the same scales with the same gas as I had weighed overweight on just the day before...

In fact, I had to take the trailer hitch off of the tow vehicle and zip tie it into my front trunk just to make weight in a production car that had NEVER been underweight before....

so I don't have the most faith in the Heartland park scales and in fact I think they could easily be 20 to 40lbs off depending upon:
the weather/stars/time of day/insert your choice here.

sorry for the rant.
brant
Eddie914
2080lbs

- 71 914
- 2.7 with Webers, Bursch headers, Bursch muffler
- 901 (914) sideshifter transmission
- Fiberglass: Bumpers, hood, rear deck, front fenders, rear flares
- Rollbar (Autopower), no carpets, door panels or backpad
- 225/50 & 245/45 Yoko 032r on 16 x 8/9 BBS RA (one piece)
- Full glass windows
- 10 gallons of fuel
- Front oil cooler
- 15 quarts of oil

I have since stripped all the interior sound insulation(minus 40lbs?) and switched to megaphones(minus 10lbs). I still have miscellaneous metal to remove such as headlight buckets, muffler heat shield and various brackets.

It's going to be tough to get under 2000lbs with a full cage

brant
I have to say...
I am so jazzed about this thread.
I've been waiting 2 years to see what my car weighs out to. I think about this stuff when I'm day dreaming.

I'll never admit this next week after I post my weight....
but my dirty little deep secret is that I can make 1950 with an all (nearly all) metal car.... I know its a long shot, but everybody has to have goals in life...

I'll probably have to delete this post next week when I hit the scales and come out to 2100 !

brant
J P Stein
Johnman:
The 74 doors, with the pannels, weigh 61 lbs apeice on my bathroom scale. Gutted early doors are 20lbs.

Dunno what my car weighs, but hope to find out soon.
Mike T
My car, Big Butt and all weighs 1870 lbs at this time. Please note it is a V8 conversion and still has cast iron heads. I have done extensive lightening but still has all steel bodwork except for a Race weight fiberglass rear deck lid from AirCooled Racing.

Mike T
J P Stein
Thanks for fixing the pic, Mike. That other one was downright odd considering the context confused24.gif biggrin.gif

That's one of 2 bad assed lookin' V8s I've ever seen. clap.gif
John
brant,

I understand your frustration if you are depending on the scales for racing (classes), and I understand that they probably vary day to day, hour to hour and car to car, but for me it is at least a baseline that I did not have before.

Next trip to Heartland Park (July), I'll weigh it again. This time I'll try each of the two different scales and compare.

Even though we agree that the scales can be +/- 40 lbs off, it doesn't explain why I'm at an indicated 2280lbs. I had thought that I was closer to 2100lbs based on other cars I have seen.

I found a thread on this site that quoted weights for the various engine years. It was claimed that the data came from factory spec books for the various years. (I didn't want to believe it either at first, but more than one source quoted nearly identical weights). I am looking at my 1984-1989 Carrera Factory Workshop manual page 0.2 (Technical data) and it states:

Engine Weight (dry) 210kg/463lbs.

That tells me that my engine DRY weighs 463 lbs (and I carry 3 gallons of oil in my tank, lines, and cooler).

Some of you guys have no windshield and top. That's gotta reduce the weight significantly (100+lbs?)

Keep on sending your input. It is greatly appreciated.
9146R
2069 lbs with quarter tank and f/g front rear & deck lids, front & rear bumpers, interior delete most everything, spare tire removed, OMP race seats, roll cage. Not a daily driver.
John
9146R,

That sounds almost the same as our track car (except the weight).

Which engine/transmission are you using?
What size wheels/tires are you using?

Thanks,

John
brant
John,

I didn't even know they had 2 sets of scales there..
I've only ever used 1 set.

I'll try to get my weight up this weekend, but I have 15gallons of fuel in it and 18 quarts of oil.... So I'm sure that will skew the scales a bit.

I'm thinking that most of your weight is in your doors and some more in your windshield.

I've been told by a reputable source that the savings of cutting off the windshield/fram/roof (and leaving the targa bar) is not as much as you would think versus a stock profile with lexan.

John
My car's weight is with a full 15gal fuel and full of oil. (you really have 18 quarts in yours?) My car holds 12 quarts.

While I do have the door glass and winders, at least I took the door panels off.

I'm planning on taking some pictures this weekend of what I have going on. Maybe this will shed some light on where my weight is.
9146R
Johnman,

It is licensed for street, but setup for autox or track. 2.4 litre, with headers (no heater), street use is 15x7 cookie rims with toyo ra-1 205x50x15, track use is 15x7 and 15x8 fuchs with 225x45x15 hoosier r3s04 all around. 250 lb rear springs with coilover Konis in rear. 901 with close ratio and quaiffe. No fuel cell...yet.
John
Thanks 914R.

That puts me in at about 200# heavier than your car. The cars (less engine and trans) seem similar. While we have more agressive springs, they seem comparable.

I know my engine (3.2) and trans (915) weigh more than your engine (2.4) and trans (901). I believe that the 915 is about 50-75# heavier.

Thanks again,
brant
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ May 18 2005, 09:00 AM)
My car's weight is with a full 15gal fuel and full of oil. (you really have 18 quarts in yours?) My car holds 12 quarts.

While I do have the door glass and winders, at least I took the door panels off.

I'm planning on taking some pictures this weekend of what I have going on. Maybe this will shed some light on where my weight is.

John,

figure 1/4 tank of gas is a loss of 12 of your gallons..
so 12 x 7 = 84lbs.

take another 84lbs off of your figures then....

and yes I really do have 18 quarts of oil.
I'm not looking forward the the mobil 1 bills.

We have those extra large twin pass coolers and we have 2 of them instead of one... plus a little extra plumbing for the same.

(so 2 quarts shy of 5 gallons)

brant
9146R
Brant,

Love your project as do so many others on this site. Unbelievable attention to detail and execution. Glad you got to fire her up ! I had my first track day with middle son last week here in norcal...shakedown cruise without any disasters. Car handled beautifully in the corners. Was fun to reel in the Z06 guys in the twisties....even got a point by from one !

Your door panels look great. With glass and mechanism are they close to 60 lbs. I am now wondering about pulling the glass and hardware from inside.

brant
9146R,

thanks for the kind words sir...
hey what is your name?

I weighed my doors (pre-gutting) at around 55 or 60lbs EACH..... so dang that is close to 120lbs.

I weighed my doors post gutting at 17lbs.. I think it was 17, now I can't remember... but its in my thread. That did not include the door panels, so I'm guessing no more than 38 total with the panels...

(aluminum panels and aluminum rivets)

Its going to suck when driving in the rain, or even when sitting in the pits in the rain... and even while trailering in the rain (open trailer)

but hopefully I'll make my weight goals and it will be well worth it.

oh... and I have to say I am VERY jealous that you got to drive your car last week

brant
Mike T
QUOTE (J P Stein @ May 17 2005, 07:42 PM)
Thanks for fixing the pic, Mike. That other one was downright odd considering the context confused24.gif biggrin.gif

That's one of 2 bad assed lookin' V8s I've ever seen. clap.gif

I have no idea where that other pic came from. Looked like a "hell hole" Wasn't even my picture...

Thanks for the kind words.

Mike T

9146R
Brant,

Thanks for the door skinny. Huge weight saving....close to 80 lbs...is that mostly glass or what ? Figure with my 1 to 10 power to weight ratio this project is "worth" eight hp and inexpensive compared to doing via the motor. I dont care about rain, have no wipers, so I dont take it to events unless it's dry.

Can't wait to hear about your shakedown runs and getting it dialed in. Big smiles are just around the corner (late apex).

Greg

Eric_Shea
1314 with the body "on" cool_shades.gif
brant
ok....
I'm not really sure this is accurate. (I'm trying to keep myself from getting too excited)
I borrowed a set of scales today.
(a friend is a semi-pro dirt racer and has loaned me the scales from time to time)

I've got to say, I'm very excited about this although it somehow seems too good to be true...

I weighed the car with:
- the passenger seat (corbeau)
-cookies instead of fuchs
-couple gallons of gas
-the 18 quarts of oil

I got 1886 on the scales
I figure 40lbs of the above items puts me down to 1846 (DRY)

sounds a little too good to be true huh.....

tomorrow I'll do the full corner balance, pull the seat, change a few things around and then re-weigh to see if the moon has thrown the numbers out of wack!

did I mention that I'm VERY excited!!!!

(Is there a smiley for VERY excited?) drunk.gif
ottox914
My street 4 cyl, with fuchs and hoosiers, no spair, 1/2 tank gas, and brad Mayeur stiffening kit, (its pretty heavy) is 2200. Amazingly, by left side and rt side weights are equal, at 1100 each. Cross weights are within .5 of each other. My friend has built an Emod autox monster, dry weight 1520.
J P Stein
QUOTE (brant @ May 21 2005, 09:59 PM)

I weighed the car with:
- the passenger seat (corbeau)
-cookies instead of fuchs
-couple gallons of gas
-the 18 quarts of oil

I got 1886 on the scales
I figure 40lbs of the above items puts me down to 1846 (DRY)

sounds a little too good to be true huh.....

It may be too gud.......but I sure like the sound of it biggrin.gif
brant
We did the corner balance on Sunday.

we corrected a few Items on the car, and pulled the seat, added gas, etc...

I'm happy with it to say the least!
We weighed in at: 1850 with 4 gallons of gas on board (and the wrong wheels)

theoretically, I could be underweight if I ran the gas down during an event. I CAN'T believe that I'm down to the point of possibly needing ballast.

whew.. did I mention I'm happy!!!!!!

brant
Ferg
Great news Brant!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

All that drilling paid off laugh.gif .

Ferg
URY914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 18 2005, 07:11 PM)
1314 with the body "on" cool_shades.gif

Eric,
Thougth you could get away with that huh?

flipa.gif

Paul biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Geeeeeeeeez... took ya long enough laugh.gif
URY914
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 24 2005, 06:13 PM)
Geeeeeeeeez... took ya long enough laugh.gif

yea, yea, yea... biggrin.gif

You owe me a beer.gif

Paul
John
Well I weighed and reweighed the car today again at Heartland Park (on both scales) and my results were nearly identical.

On Scale #2 (the first one I used) the car weighed 2280#.

On scale #1 the car weighed 2265#.

I did find out this summer that the doors do in fact weigh in at about 65# per door. My door "skins" for the car on the roticorie weigh in at about 10-15# so there is a potential weight savings of 100# by gutting the doors. However, until I get an enclosed trailer, this is out of the question.

I guess I just have a heavy car, man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.