Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brembo GTP Lightweight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
I'm thinking about these for my GT conversion, the GTP Lightweight kit, anyone running them on a 914 or on a 911?
xitspd
Marv,

I am running Big Reds (993 Twin Turbo Brakes) on all four corners. The car has more braking capacity than needed, but I am happy with the over the top results. I will have the car back Hemet in about two weeks. You are welcome to come by and see it at that time. If you are going to OC before then, you stop by the shop in Orange and see it there.

Dan
Marv's3.6six
Dan, I need the Lightweight due to the fact I am staying with 16" wheels, AND from what Bill Verburg (911 brake expert) says the standard GTP's are WAY to front biased with the 44/40 pistons, I believe the lightweights are 40/36 pistons.

Just curious if N E 1 is runnin them?
slivel
No, I'm not using those but I recently converted to Boxster monoblocks. They are lighter than the previous Carrera calipers (steel) and have about twice the pad area - also four piston. They work well with my SC rears and provide all the stopping power that I need in my GT-3S class car. Car weighs 2050 lbs and has a 3.4 L.
Aaron Cox
marv,

cant wait to see your ride dude.
what color did ya end up choosin?

have you looked into boxster calipers?
xitspd
Marv,

Excuse the hijack, but had a great mountain bike ride from Nature Park in Pine Cove to Bee Canyon yesterday. Seven guys, seven crashes. Wicked Awesome single track from the pines to the wild flower meadows below....
Marv's3.6six
Yeah me too, AND had a big getoff myself, 20+ mph, no damage except rasberry's and a bruised ego. A case of stupidity, going way to fast at a place I have only ridden once.

The good part though was I was riding with 3 30 somethings and I was able to walk away from them on the climbs.... on my single speed........and them on their geared bikes. There is no substitute for saddle time.
nocones
Steve,

What was needed to install the Boxter calipers? Excuse my ignorance, but I have yet to work out all the little differences and what will/will not fit and how much modification/machining is necessary to do so. smash.gif

Thanks!
kermit
agree.gif

I'm ignorant too! How do you get Boxster brakes to work?

I'm just curious though, since I never felt that my brakes were the "weak link" in the overall pacakge. Always had plenty of braking power with my stock calipers and Porterfield pads.

But then again, its been a while since I was on a track on a hot day...
slivel
To fit the Boxster brakes you need to start with struts that have a 3.5 inch bolt spacing. I have 911 RSR struts and used to have Carerra calipers. The kit is a simple bolt on from this point. It takes all of about an hour to do both sides. There is an adapter block of aluminum that bolts to the strut and the caliper bolts to the adapter.
Aaron Cox
yep. new calipers are axial mount.

why dont they make an adapterr block for 3" spacing struts? rolleyes.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 16 2005, 02:25 PM)
yep. new calipers are axial mount.

good question and one I have never seen answered wacko.gif

it must have something to do with the offset of the caliper centerline and the strut mounting ears being too close??????
Aaron Cox
someone makes an adapter for 3" to 3.5" to run S calipers etc.....
so that has been solved i guess...
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 16 2005, 02:32 PM)
someone makes an adapter for 3" to 3.5" to run S calipers etc.....
so that has been solved i guess...

really???

never heard of it nor seen it, can you dig up a picture??

I know there is at least one member here that has a set of "S" calipers that he'd like to run......
Aaron Cox
on the thread...slivel started a week or 3 ago... someone posted the link or the name of the people who make 3" to 3.5" caliper adapters....

AA
nocones
What is the spacing on the "M" calipers?
Mueller
QUOTE (nocones @ May 16 2005, 03:02 PM)

3"

the other spacing is 3.5" for the later 911 suspensions...not sure what year.....possibly 84 and newer??? anyone???

the 944 turbos used an oddball spacing which is 3.75 I believe....

Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ May 16 2005, 02:40 PM)
on the thread...slivel started a week or 3 ago... someone posted the link or the name of the people who make 3" to 3.5" caliper adapters....

AA

aaron, I couldn't find it...i did find a thread, but it was about adapters using the Boxster calipers again....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 16 2005, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (nocones @ May 16 2005, 03:02 PM)

3"

the other spacing is 3.5" for the later 911 suspensions...not sure what year.....possibly 84 and newer??? anyone???

the 944 turbos used an oddball spacing which is 3.75 I believe....

early S cars with konis had 3.5" spacing.

1974 is when they all went to 3.5" wink.gif

and mike. ill look for the thread, someone listed it.
xitspd
Marv,

Picture attached is a 993 TT front caliper and rotor with a 17 inch rim.

Dan
TimT

well "they" do make them.. I can hook you up with someone that makes the adapter..
Aaron Cox
to go boxster?

very cool. save lots of people from buying new struts.... would be a killer item to make wink.gif
nickg
QUOTE (TimT @ May 16 2005, 05:05 PM)

well "they" do make them.. I can hook you up with someone that makes the adapter..

well cough it up man.....name and phone and price please
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.