Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just got offeted a 6 for 9 grand!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
Now you know why

I guess George's vin numbers were a bargain biggrin.gif
Mikey914
Just minor rust in the usual areas
bretth
Wow. Never mind 'barn find'. Ocean bottom find!
dyckster
"ocean bottom find" that made my day!!
iwanta914-6
Makes me sad to see it like that...
SirAndy
"Clean title, ran when parked"

blink.gif
Tom_T
Awwwh .... that should buff out! biggrin.gif

Thought for the Day:
So if one were to replace 90+% of the sheet metal on that body to get all that serious tinworm damage, along with probably 70-90% of the interior & mechanical parts - is it still an original factory six!?
idea.gif confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
boxsterfan
Restoration design has everything you need after you actually find a complete car.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 21 2017, 03:11 PM) *

Thought for the Day:
So if one were to replace 90+% of the sheet metal on that body to get all that serious tinworm damage, along with probably 70-90% of the interior & mechanical parts - is it still an original factory six!?
idea.gif confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

If this #2 built Samba will still be the #2 built Samba after it's restored, then yes, that'll still be a factory 6.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/07/19/se...go-restoration/
mepstein

Thought for the Day:
idea.gif confused24.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yes
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 21 2017, 12:19 PM) *
Yes

agree.gif
Mueller
You'd have to pay me 9 grand to take that pile of parts.
Mark Henry
Just wow... wacko.gif
SO.O.C914er
Who is man enough to take on that restoration project av-943.gif lol-2.gif booyaa
Chris914n6
Beverly Hillsboro Car Club?
914forme
I need that... never mind I don't see anything there that I can use on my -6 restoration.

But I think it is worth 9K to the right guy who happens to have a tub and really needs a -6 hopefully your TIG skills are up to snuff because it will be very hard to weld that tin worm backup and not leave a trace that you did it.

On the plus side I think you could cut the VIN plates out with a butter knife.
somd914
Forget Bring a Trailer, this obviously was found on Bring a Shovel & Wheelbarrow...
flyer86d
There have been some pretty ambitious restorations by members on this site but that might be a good candidate for a body swap.

Charlie
My 914
Good project for a white body.
Mikey914
QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 21 2017, 01:24 PM) *

I need that... never mind I don't see anything there that I can use on my -6 restoration.

But I think it is worth 9K to the right guy who happens to have a tub and really needs a -6 hopefully your TIG skills are up to snuff because it will be very hard to weld that tin worm backup and not leave a trace that you did it.

On the plus side I think you could cut the VIN plates out with a butter knife.

It's basically a vin swap.
I was thinking about trying to do this, but originally the price was 7k, when the seller thought he could make more he upped the price. I asked him what I was actually getting the answer is a clean title and n
Vin plates. I did ask what condition they were in, supposedly they are ok.

I think he plans to eBay it, so keep an eye out.

I did want to salvage what I could, and use new metal, but it's easily a $30k body investment and another 30k in the motor if I'm lucky. So backed away. To do it right will take some serious cash.
bretth
It's so mangled you could claim it was an original 914-8 and nobody would be able to prove otherwise. I'd take it for a grand if i had the garage space. Slowly work on it over twenty years and drive it in my retirement. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
I hope someone posts the VIN to keep everyone honest. Not us, but flippers who think they can pull the wool over the eyes of others.

Besides, in 10 years people will be talking about that car lamenting they could have bought it for $9K......now they want $50K for it in much worse condition (if that's possible).
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 21 2017, 02:27 PM) *
I hope someone posts the VIN to keep everyone honest.

agree.gif
Mikey914
The seller was very careful not to disclose the vin other than it was in the 300s, but without a COA no way to tell the car was a real 6.
mb911
Umm buy it and store it away for a few more years.. Then decide. Not making any new ones..
Mikey914
Will probably be on eBay soon. Maybe I'm stupid for not doing this, but it didn't feel "right"
banananose914
That certainly has me thinking, what if? Although I could store it, and maybe afford it, that is a lot of work. Obviously.
banananose914
QUOTE(banananose914 @ Jul 21 2017, 03:58 PM) *

That certainly has me thinking, what if? Although I could store it, and maybe afford it, that is a lot of work. Obviously.

I just checked, I can't afford it. Carry on.
My 914
The body of that car is an example of why they made white bodies. Sometimes it's just better to start all over.
mepstein
I like a challenge but this one is too far gone.
Front yard mechanic
The vin tag is corroded barf.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 21 2017, 03:47 PM) *

The seller was very careful not to disclose the vin other than it was in the 300s, but without a COA no way to tell the car was a real 6.

The VIN would start with 914xxx instead of 47xxx.

Sometimes it's better to just not deal with someone elses stromberg.gif
Larmo63
It's too far gone. The engine and a few bits might be worth something, but can someone just put it out of it's misery?
pete000
Seen worse !

Fix it ... welder.gif
Socalandy
Hmmmmmmm idea.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif
cary
Matt and I were talking about this this afternoon. Is there enough of the right inner fender to build a car around ? When does it become a vin swap rather than a repair/restoration ?

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Pretty much a swap, but I seriously think the vin may not have enough metal in the front to have a viable vin. What then? I have a clean title, can I reconstruct a vin, maybe, but best not to get involved.
carr914
356 guys would say that is Mint!
My 914
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 22 2017, 12:49 AM) *

Matt and I were talking about this this afternoon. Is there enough of the right inner fender to build a car around ? When does it become a vin swap rather than a repair/restoration ?

Click to view attachment

Right about now.
914Sixer
That car was on theSamba a couple of years ago. I want to say it was in S Dakota or Nebraska. Original asking price was around $10K.. Next time I saw it, the car was on Ebay.
SirAndy
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 21 2017, 09:49 PM) *
When does it become a vin swap rather than a repair/restoration ?

When you cut out the VIN and swap it to another chassis?
confused24.gif
cary
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2017, 10:11 AM) *

confused24.gif

I got that part. Short of a front clip swap how much of the trunk/right fender would you have keep ? In one of the posts above they were talking you could replace 80/90 of the car.
Just curious .... I might have go to Oregon DMV and pose the question.
Mikey914
Yeah that was a moral quandry for me. Best to not get involved. stromberg.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 22 2017, 03:54 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 22 2017, 10:11 AM) *

confused24.gif

I got that part. Short of a front clip swap how much of the trunk/right fender would you have keep ? In one of the posts above they were talking you could replace 80/90 of the car.
Just curious .... I might have go to Oregon DMV and pose the question.

There is no hard and fast rule that I've ever heard of. It's what Andy said, rebuild the car with 90%+ new and it's rebuilt. Cut out the vin and weld it into a different shell and it's a vin swap.
pete000
Porsche classic would repair it. But in the end it would just be a VIN swap...
Chris914n6
I think "NEW" is the key word. How much new sheetmetal is being used, how much original car, and how much of it is old sheetmetal from a different car? If the majority is from a different car then it's actually the other car with a VIN swap. If you rebuilt it using metal from a dozen wrecked cars then you could probably get away with it as it would be more of a reconstruction.
Mikey914
The only "correct" way to do this in my opinion would be to send to Porsche classic. Then it truely would be 100% factory.
mepstein
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:16 PM) *

I think "NEW" is the key word. How much new sheetmetal is being used, how much original car, and how much of it is old sheetmetal from a different car? If the majority is from a different car then it's actually the other car with a VIN swap. If you rebuilt it using metal from a dozen wrecked cars then you could probably get away with it as it would be more of a reconstruction.

That's your opinion but not reality.
KELTY360
Strictly my personal opinion, but to me, the cowl is critical. If the cowl and right inner fender can be preserved, the car can be rebuilt around that. Even if those areas need repair, the integrity of the car/VIN remain intact. If you're just cutting out the inner fender and grafting on another tub, it's a different car.
forrestkhaag
For me, it comes down to what, exactly, is your time worth. 9K? WTF.gif

One has to assume that money is no object in a pursuit of this considerable dementia.

If the Vin does not start with 914, forget it. on any of several places on the "car"

On the time thing, if you have a life sentence (unlike O.J.) and your only punishment via the courts is to restore the 914 that the guy you killed owned....(for his smoking hot wife to drive, by the way..), then take it on.

But you are not going to get lucky with her........... being in the poky and all...

Otherwise, use your time wisely and walk away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.