Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Welding...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ss6
I'm going to try to fab a clone of the Flowmaster setup Brad was talking about in an old post

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...7&hl=flowmaster

Only it ain't gonna be a clone, whatever that setup (see pic) hooked up to, my headers are a lot closer together.

Question is, the muffler is mild steel, and the tubing in the pic appears to be stainless. I didn't think you could weld stainless to mild steel, any experts out there?
LvSteveH
I'm far from an expert, but I believe with the correct welding rod or wire it should work ok. I know mild steel can be welded to 4130 chrome-moly with no problems. I'd check with a welding supply shop for specifics. You could of course just flange both sides rather than welding. Good luck.

Steve
ChrisFoley
John,
Its not a problem to weld stainless to mild steel. A special filler wire is required for the strength properties of the weld to be adequate. The joints should be TIG welded with 309 or 309L stainless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.