Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail panel vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J123young
My 914 has painted sail panels and I would like to install the vinyl. Need some advice on where to purchase. I found it on a few websites but don't want some cheap stuff. Also anyone recommend a adhesive?
ConeDodger
3m spray on adhesive. 914Rubber
JawjaPorsche
If teener did not come with chrome trim piece, you will need to get it to trim the bottom of the sail.
J123young
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 25 2017, 03:14 AM) *

If teener did not come with chrome trim piece, you will need to get it to trim the bottom of the sail.

It has the trim. So I'm good there. Looks like when it was repainted they didn't put the vinyl on.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(J123young @ Jul 25 2017, 07:26 AM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 25 2017, 03:14 AM) *

It has the trim. So I'm good there. Looks like when it was repainted they didn't put the vinyl on.

I think one of the biggest mistakes is not letting the adhesive flash off well enough. Another is to use an adhesive that isn't high enough temperature rated. (It gets hot up there in direct sun)
I assume you know about the Lapuwali Classic Threads? Eric_Shea did an excellent write up showing how to put the vinyl on. Includes all the tools and materials needed.
arne
I will be doing this on mine shortly after the car comes back from paint.

Years ago, Enrique (RIP) and I used either 3M 76 or 77 on my 240Z headliner, which also bakes in the sun. (I have partial cans of both on the shelf, I think we used 77 for this.) It worked great for the years I had it. I've also seen recommendations for 3M 90 as a good choice for the sail vinyl.
Garland
77 works well, mine are still on years..later.
Tom_T
Don't assume Rob, a lot of folks just don't know the full reach of the great "Help/How To" threads on here.

J123 - if you're looking for the exact vinyl for strict originality/Concours - then get the Porsche kit. Otherwise, 914Rubber, Sierra Madre, Stoddard's, Auto Atlanta & a few others sell decent vinyl which is close, but not the exact "pepple" texture.

As Rob said - follow the cleaning, prep & application procedures religiously for the 3M Hi-Temp version of the adhesive to both surfaces, but there is also a Wurth adhesive also worth looking at.

It seems like recently there are more reports coming in of sail vinyl failures/peeling/bubbling/delaminating - so I think that there may be some issues with changed formulas for environmental reasons which could be making them less reliable.

I had a similar problem now in 2017, with delaminating/peeling/curling of INTERIOR vinyl using 3M Hi-Temp applied in 2014 using proper procedures on my `88 Westy - after just 3 years. I know my process & it still peeled, while it took the original factory application 20+ years to start peeling. So something is amiss! dry.gif

I only add this warning - not to discourage you - but to say to say that even if you follow the procedures, then you may still have issues in a few years. Keeping the car covered or using one of Perry Kiehl's (member) top area umbrella covers will help keep direct sun heat off of the roll bar vinyl - possibly helping out some with longevity of the application.

PS - re: arne & Garland's comments above - the secret may be "years ago" before a possible formula change, since I have spots in my Westy where I used 77 & 90 maybe 10+ years ago & those have not yet failed. Eventually anything will dry out & come loose, like the factory stuff is doing after about 20 years on my Westy.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
The keys are -
1- to make sure you know exactly where the piece will go. If you are too far forward it will not cover the area on the back.
2-Let the solvent flash off
and 3-have a helper.

We also no import our sail vinyl from Germany and it is the same as the factory material.
Big Len
I used the 914 Rubber's German reproduction vinyl and it is an exact match to the original. 3M's #90 adhesive worked well, just make sure everything is lined up. There isn't too much room for error.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 25 2017, 01:24 PM) *

Don't assume Rob, a lot of folks just don't know the full reach of the great "Help/How To" threads on here.

Tom, I didn't want to do the confrontational "don't you know about the search feature" thing. My personal feeling is that we go over this because people are new and that's ok. Besides, it helps to revisit things as things are culturally new. ie: no one would drill a fender now a days as there are so many better music options that don't require an antenna. Trouble is, most fenders are already drilled!

J123 - if you're looking for the exact vinyl for strict originality/Concours - then get the Porsche kit. Otherwise, 914Rubber, Sierra Madre, Stoddard's, Auto Atlanta & a few others sell decent vinyl which is close, but not the exact "pepple" texture.

As Rob said - follow the cleaning, prep & application procedures religiously for the 3M Hi-Temp version of the adhesive to both surfaces, but there is also a Wurth adhesive also worth looking at.

It seems like recently there are more reports coming in of sail vinyl failures/peeling/bubbling/delaminating - so I think that there may be some issues with changed formulas for environmental reasons which could be making them less reliable.

agree.gif I think I've bought 3 sets of vinyl in the last 10 years and I keep getting failure. The recent is on the top of the roll bar. So, at least, I'll only do a partial replacement this time.

I had a similar problem now in 2017, with delaminating/peeling/curling of INTERIOR vinyl using 3M Hi-Temp applied in 2014 using proper procedures on my `88 Westy - after just 3 years. I know my process & it still peeled, while it took the original factory application 20+ years to start peeling. So something is amiss! dry.gif

I only add this warning - not to discourage you - but to say to say that even if you follow the procedures, then you may still have issues in a few years. Keeping the car covered or using one of Perry Kiehl's (member) top area umbrella covers will help keep direct sun heat off of the roll bar vinyl - possibly helping out some with longevity of the application.

PS - re: arne & Garland's comments above - the secret may be "years ago" before a possible formula change, since I have spots in my Westy where I used 77 & 90 maybe 10+ years ago & those have not yet failed. Eventually anything will dry out & come loose, like the factory stuff is doing after about 20 years on my Westy.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
arne
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 25 2017, 09:24 AM) *
It seems like recently there are more reports coming in of sail vinyl failures/peeling/bubbling/delaminating - so I think that there may be some issues with changed formulas for environmental reasons which could be making them less reliable...

re: arne & Garland's comments above - the secret may be "years ago" before a possible formula change, since I have spots in my Westy where I used 77 & 90 maybe 10+ years ago & those have not yet failed. Eventually anything will dry out & come loose, like the factory stuff is doing after about 20 years on my Westy.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
I have considered that. If my old can of 77 is still viable, I will use it before trying anything fresh off the shelf.

Hoping to see some progress on my car tomorrow when I visit it at the paint shop.
Garland
There's a technique called registering. Once you have it positioned where you want it, and before applying any glue tape one side in five or more spots, like hinges on a door. Once you're happy with the location and the hinges, apply the glue start at the center hinge and Roll on the material while smoothing to both sides as you go.
Porschef
QUOTE(Garland @ Jul 25 2017, 09:34 PM) *

There's a technique called registering. Once you have it positioned where you want it, and before applying any glue tape one side in five or more spots, like hinges on a door. Once you're happy with the location and the hinges, apply the glue start at the center hinge and Roll on the material while smoothing to both sides as you go.

Best way to do it. I used 3M 90 also, follow instructions and you should be fine.

Good luck with it.
Ansbacher
I am in the middle of this exact job as we speak. I used the 3M "90" product and was disillusioned. Did the top of the roll bar first with no problem- looks great. Went to do the driver side sail panel and the spray just bubbled up like crazy. Went to apply the vinyl and all kinds of imperfections appeared through the vinyl. Had to remove it, and in the process it ruined the material. Had to order another piece of vinyl from Mikey (actually Scott). When it gets here, I am going to use good ol' reliable contact cement to do the side panels and be done with it!

Ansbacher
Larmo63
I am a painting/wallcovering contractor and I have been installing all kinds of vinyls & wallpapers for 32 years. I did the two side sails on my white driver car recently and I used regular contact cement and a chip brush. This was a simple install for me and it turned out perfectly. This isn't rocket science. Take your time, use the right tools, layout, and adhesive. You need a good stiff squeegee like the ones we use for wallpapers. Draw some faint pencil lines on the car before install or use blue tape while there is no glue present to guide you to where the material will eventually land. (Easier on a white car.) The vinyl pieces that Mark @914 Rubber sells are perfect, and are a little bit oversized. There are (or can be) some relief slices you may need to make in the back where the rear vertical trims go on. The 8mm nut under the fender that holds the rear vertical trim is a complete pain in the ass to get to, to loosen/tighten. I use 9mm snap blade knives in my business, these work well for Targa vinyl work. A sharp blade for EVERY cut is important.

I need to do this on my black car soon, maybe I can video the install. Matt? Mark?
Mikey914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 25 2017, 07:58 PM) *

I am a painting/wallcovering contractor and I have been installing all kinds of vinyls & wallpapers for 32 years. I did the two side sails on my white driver car recently and I used regular contact cement and a chip brush. This was a simple install for me and it turned out perfectly. This isn't rocket science. Take your time, use the right tools, layout, and adhesive. You need a good stiff squeegee like the ones we use for wallpapers. Draw some faint pencil lines on the car before install or use blue tape while there is no glue present to guide you to where the material will eventually land. (Easier on a white car.) The vinyl pieces that Mark @914 Rubber sells are perfect, and are a little bit oversized. There are (or can be) some relief slices you may need to make in the back where the rear vertical trims go on. The 8mm nut under the fender that holds the rear vertical trim is a complete pain in the ass to get to, to loosen/tighten. I use 9mm snap blade knives in my business, these work well for Targa vinyl work. A sharp blade for EVERY cut is important.

I need to do this on my black car soon, maybe I can video the install. Matt? Mark?

Yes please do, also we can add it into the contest for the 1st round of content competition. aktion035.gif
Matty900
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 25 2017, 07:58 PM) *

Hey great Idea, my car is ready for it now. Come up and put it on and I will do the video poke.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.