Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on this 73 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Bought from an estate sale a year ago, people split and wife had the title. Car came with the house.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/porsche/6239909638.html
arne
Probably not an original 2.0. In '73 the 2.0 all came with appearance package, Fuchs wheels, etc.

Doesn't mean it's a bad example, but it is lacking a lot of stuff that a 2.0 should have come with.
914_7T3
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 30 2017, 06:01 PM) *

Bought from an estate sale a year ago, people split and wife had the title. Car came with the house.

If it's a legit 2.0 with no rust, it's a no brainer. Just looked at a ' 73 here in LA that was badged as a 2.0 and it wasn't. You have to ascertain if it's an original 2.0. and get more pics and ppi to be sure.

First question is why it's on Steelies and not Fuchs? Does it have appearance group? Documented miles? etc......

Regardless it looks like a really clean runner. If it checks out, get on a plane and go and get her.

Good luck
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 30 2017, 06:18 PM) *

Probably not an original 2.0. In '73 the 2.0 all came with appearance package, Fuchs wheels, etc.

Doesn't mean it's a bad example, but it is lacking a lot of stuff that a 2.0 should have come with.

Arne, you read my mind! Haha.
nditiz1
QUOTE(arne @ Jul 30 2017, 05:18 PM) *

I thought I heard of some members on here that said not all 73 2.0 had the appearance package and other things.

Vin
914_7T3
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 30 2017, 06:27 PM) *

I thought I heard of some members on here that said not all 73 2.0 had the appearance package and other things.

Vin

The '74 2.0s were optioned, but not the '73s. The 4,300 or so of them in '73 came with everything.
bbrock
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Jul 30 2017, 07:36 PM) *

VinO

The '74s 2.0s were optioned, but not the '73s. The 4,300 or so of them in '73 came with everything.

I have a legit 73 2.0 that isn't appearance group. There was a repaint done by a PO so it is possible they deleted the vinyl and fog lights, and swapped out the bumpers. But that seems weird. It does have a center console and fuchs though. But I haven't gotten a COA for the VIN to see what it came out of the factory yet. Will do so as I get closer to painting. But my understanding was that all the 2s that year came with fuchs and center console, but not necessarily appearance group.
bdstone914
Might be a nice car. No such thing as European wheels. Some one added Porsche crest hub caps. Need to see it and it check out. Could be a good find. Black sail panel trim and no chrome trim at the bottom is interesting. Not an original side mirror. Probably a repaint.
90quattrocoupe
I have a 73 2.0 without the outside appearance option, but it did have the interior appearance option. Black bumpers, no fogs, no trim or vinyl on the sails. There were never any sail holes on mine either, they were not filled. Ask Eric at PBM, he had it sand blasted, and no patched holes.

No Fuchs either.

So buy the car. Seems like a deceit price.

Greg W.
Dave_Darling
I know of legit 73 2.0s that do not have sway bars, as well. There were a few here and there that didn't have every option; some were special orders and some just didn't get some stuff.

It could be worth getting. As usual, rust is the big thing.

--DD
EdwardBlume
Dad's car was a strippy. '74 2.0 with center console, targa vinyl, no sway bars, black bumpers. I kind of fixed all of that.
This one is either special, or its had work done. My opinion is the latter.
BeatNavy
Ideally I think you either need someone local who can do a PPI ... or at a minimum get at least more pictures of the "money shot" areas. People selling who don't provide the needed pictures fall into one of two categories: those that don't know what the "money shots" are on these cars, and those that do. If the former, it could be fine and could be a great deal. It's plausible if it was from an estate sale. If the latter, it means they don't want to fully reveal condition.
nditiz1
More photos, I'm no expert, but that air cleaner doesn't look like one for a 2.0. I asked him for the engine ID, but the seller doesn't seem that adept. I did note the surface rust on bat tray as did he. Sticker build says 1/73

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bbrock
You're right, wrong air cleaner. It's looking like it's not a 2.0. Still lookes like it might be a clean car depending on how the other usual suspect shots turn out.
Olympic 914
in addition to the air cleaner wrong, 4 bolts on the intake runners say 1.7, and the plug position.
So whole induction system and heads are 1.7 and with 61K miles, doubtful someone split the cases and put a 2.0 crank in it.

EA or EB in engine code is 1.7
nditiz1
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 31 2017, 05:58 AM) *

in addition to the air cleaner wrong, 4 bolts on the intake runners say 1.7, and the plug position.
So whole induction system and heads are 1.7 and with 61K miles, doubtful someone split the cases and put a 2.0 crank in it.

EA or EB in engine code is 1.7

Great spot, I didn't even think about that. Putting a 2.0 badge on a non 2.0 just seems shameful rolleyes.gif
KELTY360
I think it's a 1.7 that somebody put on a 2.0 badge. Looks like a low optioned car. It does have a full set of the steelies, including the spare. Sunflower Yellow is a great color. If it has minimal rust it looks like a good value. Request a PPI from a member here or go look at it yourself. It probably won't last on CL very long.
Tom_T
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 30 2017, 06:01 PM) *

First - be cautious of the claimed mileage. Check interior wear (seats, carpets, pedals, etc.), exterior & running gear wear - which is not shown on any of the pix in the CL ad. Then only accept it if there is also an unaltered & unbroken chain of service &/or other documentation showing that it has only 61K - & not 161K, 261K, etc. with any repaints/restos/etc. making a higher mileage car look fresher.

Second - verify with PCNA COA dept. that is is a real factory 2.0 -

Get the seller to send you pix of the VIN at all points (stamped in front pass. fender & on ID plate on pass headlight box/bucket both inside F trunk, tab at driver a-pillar, sticker at driver rear door jamb (all should match); + both Chassis nos. at Karmann Plate on driver front door jamb (both should match & also check color code there is as claimed) & as stamped in the rear area of the R trunk floor near the back wall; + the engine case number by the oil filler stack on the top front of the motor (should start with GA & match the # range shown at the 914 Info section at the top of this site).

Armed with that, call PCNA's 800# for COAs, & tell them you're looking to buy one & will get a COA if purchased, but want them to verify that it was a real factory 1973 2.0 car. They may ask you to email the VIN, Chassis & engine Nos. pix to them to verify.

Third - It's still not set-up with the right wheels for 73 - even if a factory 2L, since those are the earlier style 70-72 steel wheels with hubcaps - while the 73s went to the "Star Mag" style steel wheels (also used on the Super Beetles 73>).

Fourth - nowhere near enough pix to do a distant evaluation - so ask for more & better full scale pix all over, under & through the car, & ask for pix of any original sales invoice, window sticker, maintenance receipts showing miles 0 to 61K, etc. Then get somebody to do a PPI on it before buying.

All that said - if it's a clean, rust free & good running 1.7 or a 2.0 conversion - at $10,900 it's not a bad price today if in great condition & needing no work.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T

Vin

Correct - not all did come "loaded" with the Appearance & Performance Groups of options.

See the 73 Model numbers here:
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

AFAIK in the US, pretty much all early 73 MY 914 2Ls came with AG+PG up to about March or April -ish 1973 & marketed as the "914S" trim package/sub-model - even after Porsche Germany forced VoA to stop the "914S" marketing campaign.

However, the West German DM was escalating so fast against the dollar, that the formerly $5299 "914S" was about $7200 by the Spring, so they offered decontented 914 2Ls without the AG+PG so they could still offer a 2L at $5299+/- in their ads. The dealers here called them the "Sport" trim package/sub-model.

Dave Kawashima on here has a beautiful Orange/Black example of a late 2L "Sport."

My 914S Thread FYI, & it has Dave K.'s 73 2L "sport" pix there too:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107851

Dave's 914-2.0 "Sport" -
IPB Image

However, the "Sport" trim package/sub-model had the 2L Fuch 4-lug lightweight forged allow wheels & sway bars of the PG option package - not the fully stripped down "Standard Equipment" as noted in Jeff Bowlsby's Model Numbers chart at the link above.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 31 2017, 06:39 AM) *

More photos, I'm no expert, but that air cleaner doesn't look like one for a 2.0. I asked him for the engine ID, but the seller doesn't seem that adept. I did note the surface rust on bat tray as did he. Sticker build says 1/73

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry, I didn't see your added pix until after I'd posted.

This does not look like a 2.0, but a 1.7 with a 2.0 badge, & with more than the claimed miles. It may not even be a true backstory on the estate, divorce, etc. - so check the VIN for a stolen car too.

If it is a 2L with the wrong air cleaner/filter box on it - then the GA code will be at the base of the oil filler tower at the top of the air cleaner in your pic above, but then as other said it's the wrong intakes & bolts.

Pretty much all USA 2.0s built in Jan 73 were still the "914S" trim spec with both AG+PG, & this clearly is not.

Interior shot shows way more wear than a true 61K - my guess is 161K or maybe a carefully used 261K miles, with a repaint to make it look original/newer - so look for overspray & other repaint clues.

Even if it checks out as a nice & legal title 1.7 - then it may still be a good deal. Check the price vs. value at the Hagerty values chart by its actual in person PPI'ed condition level 1-4. It's priced at $1200 over the current 1.7 Avg. #3 of $9700 - so it would have to be a "Good+" 3.5-ish condition for $10,900 IMHO.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools...Porsche-914-1.7

Use Jeff's evaluation form for the PPI -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914_7T3
A lot of good info on this thread and I stand corrected on optioning of '73s.

Here is a CL listing that may be worth a phone call.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/porsc...6229943679.html
Tom_T
PS to OP - if you are looking at 1.7s as an option - then I'd suggest staying away from the California 73 1.7 which were seriously detuned to only 69 HP net & pretty "doggy." If this one was originally sold new in CA, then you may be disappointed in its performance.

IMHO the 1972 MY 1.7 "914/4" were the sweet spot - with good power (70-72 1.7 same HP/TQ), but with the tweaked/tightened-up tail-shifter, moveable passenger seats, L & R sides dash fresh air vents, & a few other improvements over the 70-71 MY 914s - but with a tad better power at 80 HP - better than even the 49 state 73 1.7 IIRC, & much more than the 73 CA 1.7, & as good as or a tad better than the 74-75 MY 1.8s, & almost as good as the 76-76 MY GC 2.0s - especially close to the 75-76 2.0s with the crapalytic converters for CA cars - but the AG ones in 72 have chrome bumpers, over those later 75-76 1.8s & 2.0s with the big black impact bumpers (unless you like those or for safety reasons, cuz the 70-74 steel ones even with "tits" don't protect much at all).

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
nditiz1
So when I spoke to the seller last night he did say it has a respray so most likely the miles are 161k. The title he has is from the PO and it shows 61k, not sure how long the PO owned it for.

Anyone want to go check it out for me? Free drive in another 914 biggrin.gif

Also he said he would take $9600, but that was when it was a 2.0, now that it's not I'm thinking less, but the seller probably won't see it that way.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 31 2017, 09:44 AM) *

If it is a 2L with the wrong air cleaner/filter box on it - then the GA code will be at the base of the oil filler tower at the top of the air cleaner in your pic above, but then as other said it's the wrong intakes & bolts.

Not even worth looking for the engine code; without the 2.0 heads it's not a 2.0 motor. It's a 73 1.7, period.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.