Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front fender to Cowl Joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisO
Hi All,

I'm new to the 914 world. I've played with 356s and 911s for years, but never had a 914. I've always liked the 914, as friends had them when I was in high school. I recently bought a '75 1.7L project (Nepal Orange) that has been sitting in Central Calif since 2002. Overall, it does appear to be in decent shape for a car this old. It will require a complete restoration and my plans are turn to turn into a nice driver. I just started to disassemble the car and I am finding some rust but a vast majority of what I finding appears to be just surface rust. Hopefully as I complete the disassembly and engine removal I won't find any nasty surprises. The only accident damage I've found is the front corner of the driver's finder has been replaced. The rest of the car looks extremely straight.

As I removed the front hood, I noticed that both front fenders have cracks in the seam where it meets the cowl. Attached are pictures of the area that I'm concerned about. Are these normal for a 914 or is this a sign of accident damage? Thanks in advance.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
You've removed the entire front trunk seal and thats the only issue you see ?
ConeDodger
If it's a '75, it would be a 1.8 or 2.0. Not finding rust is rare indeed.

Get to know 914Rubber.Com. You'll need their help. Good luck with the project!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 5 2017, 12:43 AM) *

You've removed the entire front trunk seal and thats the only issue you see ?

I know right? Luck had to find one of us!
DennisO
I found that the front corner of the driver fenders has been replaced. I did find some minor rust spots that will need to be repaired. Otherwise, Nothing else yet.

I take it these are not normal for a 914?
DennisO
yes, it's a 1.8L. I can't type.
dgraves
QUOTE(DennisO @ Aug 4 2017, 09:48 PM) *

yes, it's a 1.8L. I can't type.

I had light rust under that rubber seal as well. I don't think it's indicative of an accident. 914Rubber will be your new best friend. Save time, headaches, and effort...after the paint get the entire set of rubber seals. You'll be glad.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(DennisO @ Aug 5 2017, 12:47 AM) *

I found that the front corner of the driver fenders has been replaced. I did find some minor rust spots that will need to be repaired. Otherwise, Nothing else yet.

Common rust areas are:

Battery tray

"Hell hole" (under battery tray)

If these two are allowed to run wild the whole suspension console and longitudinal on the passenger side can go with it. Also the engine seal channel on that side will rust.

Trailing edge of the floor under the seats

Trailing edge of the rear trunk floor.

The cowl, particularly at the area by those two seams.

Besides these particular areas I've mentioned, the 914 will feel free to rust anywhere it wants. On a quiet day, if you listen carefully, you can hear your 914 rusting.

Now that I've thoroughly depressed you, welcome.png

Freezin 914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 4 2017, 11:21 PM) *

QUOTE(DennisO @ Aug 5 2017, 12:47 AM) *

Common rust areas are:

Battery tray

"Hell hole" (under battery tray)

If these two are allowed to run wild the whole suspension console and longitudinal on the passenger side can go with it. Also the engine seal channel on that side will rust.

Trailing edge of the floor under the seats

Trailing edge of the rear trunk floor.

The cowl, particularly at the area by those two seams.

Besides these particular areas I've mentioned, the 914 will feel free to rust anywhere it wants. On a quiet day, if you listen carefully, you can hear your 914 rusting.

Now that I've thoroughly depressed you, welcome.png

lol-2.gif av-943.gif popcorn[1].gif lol-2.gif sadly true, but still funny! welcome.png
Matty900
welcome.png On the fender to cowl gap there is actually a drain gap in there tha needs to be cleaned out to allow it to work.
Congratulations on acquiring the car and all of you new friends you will find here. beerchug.gif
cary
All kidding aside. Get an inspection mirror and take a look at the crack from the bottom and backside. Generally all the corner areas under the seal have some sort of rust issues.
I'm working on a car right now where the hood wasn't latched and it folded back and damaged the same area. Side note : fender side of that crack is one of the strongest in the car.
I'd get a small wire brush and try and clean the entire channel to get down to the paint.
Paying close attention to the corners around the headlights and the rounded section at the front latch.
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Any more pics of the car you could share?
DennisO
Thanks Guys. I will do more investigation and report what I find.

I'll post some more pics. My phone take HD pics and I need to resize them in order to post.
Cairo94507
welcome.png

Yes, I would expect to find more rust, but you never know. You may get lucky and just have minor rust.

The best thing is you are identifying and tackling the rust issues before doing anything else. I believe that is the way to approach these cars. Get the foundation solid before you build from there. Good luck and keep the pictures coming. Cheers. beerchug.gif
whitetwinturbo
beer3.gif ...........welcome to OUR world
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.