Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end shimmy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WHO
I've tried wheel bearings, tie rods, wheel balance and alignment but my shimmy over 60mph is still there! what's next? Ball joints? Bushings??
SGB
have you checked the tires for roundness?
Joe Bob
Or balance...
TravisNeff
Bent wheels. BTDT, go see how many balance weights are on all your wheels. You'd want the ones with the least amount of weights on the fronts -but that may mess you up if you have directional tires.

I had a wheel with 21 1/4 ounce balance weights on them. just a "little" shimmy ha!
Mark Henry
QUOTE (SGB @ May 17 2005, 06:06 PM)
have you checked the tires for roundness?

Yep...I had "good" but old tires that shifted a belt.
Rand
Any good tire shop should be able to put your wheels on a machine and tell you real quick if there's a problem with a wheel or tire. Easy and quick thing to do next before digging deeper.
Brad Roberts
I'm betting it is the tires. I just ran across this recently. The tire balance machine doesnt know when there is a seperated belt in a tire. It wont show while balancing (no weight on the tire).

B
redshift
I have a 'going bad' rear driver's side tire... waaaab waaab waaab..

I say tire.

M
Rand
The tire balance machine doesnt know when there is a seperated belt in a tire. It wont show while balancing...

Ok. But, can't you visually examine the perimeter while it's spinning on the machine and see when things are out of round or untrue even if the machine says it's in balance?
scotty b
Look at the tires straight on withh full pressure and if it/they are cupping in the ceneer get new ones. Tires will actually seperate internally, and start to pull apart and wobbling is the first sign. Ask me how I know biggrin.gif Had a tire pulling apart on a CJ-7 with 33-12.50's. Fun ride! wacko.gif

Does this pass the Capn's info test ??? I don't want to be a sinner
Brad Roberts
Ok. But, can't you visually examine the perimeter while it's spinning on the machine and see when things are out of round or untrue even if the machine says it's in balance? Or do you have to swap a tire to find out?

Not easily. 99% of the tire machines nowadays are OSHA compliant with a big fat cover over the spinning combination. A lot of the tire issues wont be "visible" unless their is weight on the tire.

B
Rusty
What year struts and what year wheels do you have?

Early Pedrinis won't mount flush to a later car, and will cause a shimmy that balancing won't fix. If the wheels are balanced off the car, you won't see it.

I speak from experience.
TravisNeff
To check out my wheels, I had them dismounted and then put the wheels alone on the balancing machine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.