Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New Bahia Red 73
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Thanks everyone for all your help, wisdom, and guidance in making this a reality. No more posts asking about good purchases and "is this rust bad?" rolleyes.gif I purchased my first 914 yesterday from Massachusetts. Thanks to Chris from Tangerine racing for connecting me with the seller/PO. Trailer'd it home to MD where it spend the next several years bringing me joy. The PO is a super nice guy that has owned it for the last 22 years. It was originally a 73 Bahia Red with a 1.7. The original motor was gone, but a 2.0, from a 73, enhanced to a 2056 with carb cam was installed. Not a concourse, but fun to look at and even more fun to drive. driving.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
914_7T3
Way to Go! That looks like a clean and straight car and will be super fun with the 2056! Congratulations!!!

Not sure what it is about Bugs & 914s, but damn they go well together.

welcome.png
GaroldShaffer
smilie_pokal.gif
bbrock
Woohoo!!! Great looking car. piratenanner.gif
Shadowfax
Alright! Your persistence paid off. Hope you can enjoy driving it soon. driving.gif red914.jpg
There's another member on here that's been looking for one too. Wonder if he got lucky?
horizontally-opposed
Great looking car! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

And yes, the 914 is an absolute blast to drive...one of the best Porsches, period. All these years later, they still hold up. They were remarkably refined for their time in terms of ride comfort and utility. They're also Porsche's lightest (post-356) production road car chassis—with a wheelbase as long as a 991's, tiny overhangs, and an engine mounted in the ideal location.
Montreal914
Very nice find! You picked the fastest color first.gif
Nice interior too with console and radio. Sway bars for complete 2 liter conversion?

Looks like my setup, Bahia 73' 1.7 now 2056 (Djet) in desperate need of a paint though... dry.gif

Enjoy the new toy sunglasses.gif
mzalanka
smilie_pokal.gif
HIPPIEKILLER
Nice piece of metal you bought! And the color is great.

What is the first thing you are going to do in your new acquisition? Other tha driving it of course!

Nice asphalt drawings btw.

Andres.
nditiz1
@Montreal914

So the front sway bar is in place. The rear came with the car, but not on. The rear shocks have the ball ends to put it on. The PO told me I would need to weld in nuts for the bushings to bolt it in place. I thought those threads would already be there from the factory??

@hippiekiller

I think I want to have a single key for everything first. Interior locks are separate from exterior locks. Also, fix the ignition switch as it has a tendency to not want to engage the started. PO had replaced the switch once and it is starting to fail again.
gms
Congratulations!
JawjaPorsche
Nice Score! beerchug.gif
BillC
Congrats!

Where in Maryland are you? I'm in Silver Spring, near Glenmont.
Robnxious
Congrats. Chris is good people, and I'm glad he could help you on this. You know what's more important than it being Concourse material? It's yours! Enjoy, and go out and drive it. They are SO much fun!
Big Len
Best of luck, very nice.
Tom_T
Congratz! smilie_pokal.gif

BTW - It looks pretty nice, so don't sell yourself short on the "not concours" bit! The PCA Concours are mainly hands-on judged cleaning/detailing contests, & many other independent local concours & car shows are anything from hands-off "how it looks" to public favorite choice awards. shades.gif

So if the urge hits you, don't hesitate to clean 'er up & give 'er a shine/wax, & go have fun! The Ooooohs & Ahhhs, public drooling, countless questions about your beautiful unique car (not many 914s around at most shows nowadays), chatting with other car folks & past 914 owners, etc. will be well worth your time & effort - even if you don't win a ribbon or trophy! drooley.gif wub.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

There's still some good weather car show & concours time in MD & surrounds - go find one & stick it on the grounds!
Who knows, you might even take home ... smilie_pokal.gif

Just go have fun! piratenanner.gif

Cars-n-Coffees are fun too. I get a regular email from August group there in MD who does a monthly weather permitting C-&-C show.

Oh - & drive it lots too! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

PS - For future reference for you & others on here ... Given the mileage charge with UHaul for rental trucks & the fact that you have to step up to a big box truck like you got, you may be better off going to Enterprise Commercial/Truck Rentals (not the Enterprise car rentals) & get a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick-up from them (usually mostly only 3/4) to rent for towing, then get the flat-bed car transporter from UHaul (trailers have no mileage charge). Enterprise has a decent bit of miles included per day & per week (break-over is at 5 days or with any needed extra miles) - IIRC it's 150mi/day & 1000mi/wk, but check. We've been renting their F250s since 2014 3-5x a year to tow our restored 1960 Avion T20 (like an Airstream) to vintage trailer rallies/shows & it works out well, but will be getting a Cayenne S so we can do more of them.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Frankvw
Nice ! Hope you will enjoy it to the max. Interesting combi interior colors. Is it a mix between tan and black parts ? Or custom made ?
cal44
Fight the urge to do to much to the car, for now. Drive it for a while. She looks to be a peach. Fresh Bilstiens, new rubber bushings thru out, tie rod ends if needed.
Most folks ignore brake hoses. These things stop on a dime with stock brakes if maintained properly.

A teener is a great little car and has been sorely ignored for far to long.
burton73
aktion035.gif aktion035.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
happy for you.
nditiz1
@Tom T

Thanks for the info. I did check into renting a truck from enterprise. It was looking to be about the same if not a little more to go that route. The uhaul combo put me at 409 after tax and fees. The gas was about $100 and was about 470 miles. I checked out a few shippers like montway and even put a listing on uShip. Everyone was coming in at ~$600 so I saved a little, but not much. I'm not sure I could have waited another day to take her home too biggrin.gif

@FrankVW
They are a combo of brown and black seats. When the PO acquired the car the black seats were missing the bottom cushion on the passenger. So he just swapped the inserts and kept it. He also said he remembered seeing a 911 with this combo years back.
74ravenna
Wow! Nice score.
bbrock
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 9 2017, 12:25 PM) *

I think I want to have a single key for everything first. Interior locks are separate from exterior locks. Also, fix the ignition switch as it has a tendency to not want to engage the started. PO had replaced the switch once and it is starting to fail again.

I just finished re-keying my locks. It was easy following the how-to in the technical article under 914 Info. Since you only need to re-key your door handles and trunk to match the interiors, it shouldn't be too bad since those are fairly easy to get off and pull the cylinders on. Start with one of the doors and keep track of the tumbler numbers. Once you know the sequence of tumblers for one lock, you can re-key the rest without the trial and error. The trunk lock will probably have two #5 valet tumblers which can go back in any location, which gives you some flexibility in freeing up tumblers for use elsewhere. Contact member 'Tweet' for tumblers and springs (or just have him re-key them for you). He really bent over backwards to set me up with what I needed.

From what I've read, it is best to bite the bullet and buy an OEM ignition switch. That's my plan anyway after reading about so many failures from after market switches.

Enjoy that ride! driving.gif
ThreeV8s
Congrats! Like many who have read (and commented) on your posts, I am happy to see you that you did well. I in no way expect a response with a specific figure, but was this within the realm of the $10K cap? If so, and everything checked out in terms of corrosion, you did extremely well.
Tom_T
For those interested in the MD & surrounding areas:

St. Michaels Cars & Coffee - Sat. August 13, 9-11AM
Weather Permitting

Hosted by: Classic Motor Museum St Michaels

Where: 102 E. Marengo Street, St. Michaels Maryland.

When: Every Saturday - 9 to 11 am.

Sponsored by: August Classic

Reminder: Join us at the Classic Motor Museum for our weekly Cars and Coffee meetup in downtown St. Michaels.

No registration or cost - if you enjoy cars, you're invited. See you there.

It's a little too far of a drive for me! biggrin.gif

PS - However, it's a short quick drive from DE for my brother in his Challenger Hellcat! happy11.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 9 2017, 09:51 AM) *

It was originally a 73 Bahia Red with a 1.7. The original motor was gone, but a 2.0, from a 73, enhanced to a 2056 with carb cam was installed.

Hey Nick,

If that's a single carb, then you may want to put dual Webers or PMOs on your to do/wish list, in order to get the most out of that 2056. driving.gif

I'm sure that Chris can accommodate! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Never mind, I relooked at the engine pic, & it is dual carb. I was looking at your wording on the cam I guess! blink.gif

IPB Image

PS - That should be good for 110 - 125 HP, & Chris can still help you tweak it to max over time! piratenanner.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Porschef
Nice job. You can forget now the orange lemon. Chris did a fine job too, and is a great dude, as is Ed.

Good luck with it. I drove mine to work and back today, 120 miles (not my normal commute) and hit 105 on the Ocean Pkwy driving.gif w00t.gif coulda gone more with the 2056.

Enjoy it, the best driving season is just gettin' started... beerchug.gif
iwanta914-6
Nice!

Now that's a proper first 914, not the rusted out sub $5K disasters you had been looking at. Well done, and I'm quite jealous!
RickS
Absolutely gorgeous. What a great ride.
87m491
What "rent"? Cars a runner and MA to MD is a chip shot. Shame not to fly and drive! Driving is the point right?

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 9 2017, 12:12 PM) *

Congratz! smilie_pokal.gif

BTW - It looks pretty nice, so don't sell yourself short on the "not concours" bit! The PCA Concours are mainly hands-on judged cleaning/detailing contests, & many other independent local concours & car shows are anything from hands-off "how it looks" to public favorite choice awards. shades.gif

So if the urge hits you, don't hesitate to clean 'er up & give 'er a shine/wax, & go have fun! The Ooooohs & Ahhhs, public drooling, countless questions about your beautiful unique car (not many 914s around at most shows nowadays), chatting with other car folks & past 914 owners, etc. will be well worth your time & effort - even if you don't win a ribbon or trophy! drooley.gif wub.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

There's still some good weather car show & concours time in MD & surrounds - go find one & stick it on the grounds!
Who knows, you might even take home ... smilie_pokal.gif

Just go have fun! piratenanner.gif

Cars-n-Coffees are fun too. I get a regular email from August group there in MD who does a monthly weather permitting C-&-C show.

Oh - & drive it lots too! driving.gif driving-girl.gif

PS - For future reference for you & others on here ... Given the mileage charge with UHaul for rental trucks & the fact that you have to step up to a big box truck like you got, you may be better off going to Enterprise Commercial/Truck Rentals (not the Enterprise car rentals) & get a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick-up from them (usually mostly only 3/4) to rent for towing, then get the flat-bed car transporter from UHaul (trailers have no mileage charge). Enterprise has a decent bit of miles included per day & per week (break-over is at 5 days or with any needed extra miles) - IIRC it's 150mi/day & 1000mi/wk, but check. We've been renting their F250s since 2014 3-5x a year to tow our restored 1960 Avion T20 (like an Airstream) to vintage trailer rallies/shows & it works out well, but will be getting a Cayenne S so we can do more of them.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

nditiz1
@ThreeV8s - I ended up paying less than my 10k budget even after the $500 trailering

@87m491 - I wanted to drive it home. I couldn't barrow the tags from the PO and MD does not give out temp tags unless you title the car first. That would have required two trips. I can't wait that long biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
WooHoo! Congratulations on a great purchase with a terrific engine. Good luck and enjoy. Love the bug too.
Montreal914
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 9 2017, 11:25 AM) *

@Montreal914

So the front sway bar is in place. The rear came with the car, but not on. The rear shocks have the ball ends to put it on. The PO told me I would need to weld in nuts for the bushings to bolt it in place. I thought those threads would already be there from the factory??

This is what you need on the body to install the rear sway bar. They get welded under the rear trunk floor and the reinforcement in the trunk. New U shaped bracket seems to be available at Pelican.

http://www.maddogsmotorsports.org/rear-suspension.html

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._pg6.htm#item21

Enjoy the drive driving.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.