Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show of your roll cages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Oliver
I have a project car looking for a roll cage and I'am 6'4 250 looking to make is race safe...
Pic's and cost's helpfull.. blowtorch.gif welder.gif

Ps I hope to make it and me race ready for portland its not far to drive... biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
When I went looking for roll cage fab guy's I stopped with one person here in the SF bay area: TC Design. I *think* he did 8-10 914 cages for me and probably has dopne at least another 8-10 914 cages since then.

He has come a long way. http://www.tcdesignfab.com/

B
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ May 17 2005, 11:05 PM)
He has come a long way. http://www.tcdesignfab.com/

i second that!

tony did my cage, and he did an awesome job (and i got an "early" style, they're even better by now) ...

http://www.sirandy.com/projects/cars/20020901.asp

from my personal webpage at http://www.sirandy.com/projects/cars/ (click "Pictures", then "Early September 2002, she got a nice new roll-cage ... ") ...

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
ChrisFoley
Go with a well built custom roll cage, preferably from someone who knows 914s and sports car racing. Since you're a big guy there are no bolt in products that you will feel comfortable or safe with, I guarantee. It is well worth transporting your car a good distance to get what you need. If SF is too far away look for SCCA members in your area for advice on where to go. There are a some online forums where SCCA members chat. Here and here are a couple.
sixnotfour
Here is a local guy to check out, Brad prob. knows him Jeff Gamroth
He's done several 911/914 or has someone do em for him.

Rothsport Road & Race
19870 Sw 129th Ave
Tualatin, OR 97062-7317
Eddie914
Oliver,

Here is another:

RaceTech Fabrication
11077 N Vancouver Way
Portland, OR 97217
(503) 254-6706

www.racetechfab.com

Eddie
Eddie914
How about a link:

- Race Tech Fabrication

Eddie
slivel
Since your physical size could cause a safety issue, my recommendation is to take the time to be very involved in the fab process. For this to work you have to have a fabricator that is willing to have you present during some of the build process. This should almost be like getting fitted for a new suit. A good fabricator will have you sit in the car take measurments and try to get maximum clearance from the hoops to your head. Also take in account the added dimension of roll bar padding. Last but not least please be aware that a full cage can be a hazzard in street driving when you are not wearing a helmet. A small street collision when you thunk your unprotected head against a roll hoop can be fatal.
Oliver
Thanks for all the advices.. It might be a while some one had just flatend my tires on my truck there goes cage money for now...
headbang.gif confused24.gif
Rand
Questions about the bar going forward past the front of the door...

Some go just to the inside of the fenderwell like the photo below.
Some go all the way through and tie into the top of the shock tower. Is that enough better to be worth doing?
Some don't run a bar forward from there at all. Is it not beneficial enough to be worth doing?

user posted image
Jake Raby
I have a Chris Foley Roll Cage in my 914 and it absolutely rocks and it fits nicely with the stock backpad in place..

Chris' cage has had a ton of thought put into it and it's definately clear that his racing has rubbed off on it's design!

My car is WAY stiffer than it used to be and handles a ton better than it did before the cage..
iamchappy
With all the talk about cages I think I may reinstall mine now, I will have to make changes in my autopower cage to accommodate the back pad. Why have it just sitting in the shed when I can work it back into the car.
Mueller
QUOTE (Rand @ May 18 2005, 12:14 PM)
Questions about the bar going forward past the front of the door...

Some go just to the inside of the fenderwell like the photo below.
Some go all the way through and tie into the top of the shock tower. Is that enough better to be worth doing?
Some don't run a bar forward from there at all. Is it not beneficial enough to be worth doing?

those questions fall into the "read the rule book" catagory smile.gif

there are different classes (and regions) that the cage should be built to...if the car will never be run in a sanctioned event, then it's up the cage builder to know and understand what every single tube is doing and how it will impact the structure.....make sure you interview* the cage builder and find out "why" he does certain things....being a good welder does not mean he is a good cage builder wacko.gif

*run away if he says that is how they do it in the magazines smile.gif
Rand
Ok, rulebooks and classes aside... I want to know how it affects the strength of the car. Does running that bar to the shock tower instead of stopping at the fenderwell make a lot of functional difference? If not, I will just stop at the fenderwell. Since a lot of cages don't run this bar at all, is that purely because of a rule/class limitation or does it not really make enough functional difference to bother with it?
Mueller
QUOTE (Rand @ May 18 2005, 12:58 PM)
Ok, rulebooks and classes aside... I want to know how it affects the strength of the car. Does running that bar to the shock tower instead of stopping at the fenderwell make a lot of functional difference? If not, I will just stop at the fenderwell. Since a lot of cages don't run this bar at all, is that purely because of a rule/class limitation or does it not really make enough functional difference to bother with it?

yes, running tubes to the suspension points will be better than not attaching to them......

i believe it's mostly due to rules....a bolted in cage and a welded in cage can be run in a lot of the same classes, it would be easier/safer to make a weld in cage attach to the suspension points than the bolt in cage...the rules do not want to favor one design over the other..

lapuwali
Some rules DO want to favor one over the other. They want you to use the cage only for driver safety, not as a method of stiffening the car substantially for handling purposes. If you have the choice, tie the cage to the suspension mounts whereever possible. It can make a very big difference to how the car handles, and how tunable the suspension ends up being.
spare time toys
I got the UGLYEST one in the club rolleyes.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (spare time toys @ May 18 2005, 02:17 PM)
I got the UGLYEST one in the club rolleyes.gif

and depending on how the tubes we cannot see are fab'd, possibly the most dangerous one wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.