McMark
Seems like it might actually happen...
https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/10031...gine-cases.html

IPB Image
IPB Image
Mark Henry
Wow, huge undertaking.
mepstein
He plans to do 2.0 & 2.7's in aluminum next. It's great to have options.
Larmo63
He is on our board and has a 914 conversion with a 2.7 /6.
Mueller
wow, that is crazy and awesome to see.

Still out of my price range however I enjoy seeing other people spend their money and build sweet rides!
My 914
I just read the details on the Rennlist forum. A very impressive undertaking and I admire your persistence and dedication to this project. You will give builders more options for conversions!
Larmo63
It will now be possible to build a complete 911 engine with all American parts.
Mueller
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 13 2017, 11:50 AM) *

hmmm? Still legal for PCA events?
McMark
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 13 2017, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 13 2017, 11:50 AM) *

hmmm? Still legal for PCA events?

LOL, so true.... av-943.gif
gereed75
Cast and HIP'ed is a very high end methodology and will create a metallurgy superior to casting only.

These cases will add to the sustainability and advancement of the aircooled 911 motor. Very nice!!
Larmo63
Adam told me he has had meetings with Singer to supply them with cases for their backlog of orders....

Pretty cool.
falcor75
Wow! I'll likely never be able to afford one but its supercool that someone uses the technology available today do recreate these engine cases!
Mueller
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:07 AM) *

Wow! I'll likely never be able to afford one but its supercool that someone uses the technology available today do recreate these engine cases!

Me too, but I'd gladly pay for shipping for a case that failed QC to put on display in my garage biggrin.gif
Catorse
Thanks very much you guys, I have been working on it for a while. Can you believe this project was originally spurred by my 914?

A couple years ago I was building my 914-6 GT clone, and I was searching everywhere for a 3.6 and couldn't find one. Either I was too late, or the guy wanted 10K for a trashed case or something.

So I decided to build my own.

I can't think of another Porsche that is a frequently engine swapped as the 914 is. To me, it really is all about choices.

So there you have it. Thanks for the interest and kind words!
timothy_nd28
Extremely impressive, well done! I wonder if there would be any repercussions if Porsche found out about this?
jd74914
Very cool!

At that level, sand casting is really as much art and experience as science. HIP post processing is very nice as well.

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:59 PM) *

Extremely impressive, well done! I wonder if there would be any repercussions is Porsche found out about this?

Not quite the same because Porsche is known for being pretty vigilant, but I know a guy who reverse engineers current/recent production motorcycle engines including almost all internals built all of the major players using white light scans. They are then translated into Solidworks models for use in parts redesign, etc.. In ~3 years of doing it he hasn't received legal correspondence from any of the manufacturers.
billh1963
QUOTE(Catorse @ Aug 14 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Thanks very much you guys, I have been working on it for a while. Can you believe this project was originally spurred by my 914?

A couple years ago I was building my 914-6 GT clone, and I was searching everywhere for a 3.6 and couldn't find one. Either I was too late, or the guy wanted 10K for a trashed case or something.

So I decided to build my own.

I can't think of another Porsche that is a frequently engine swapped as the 914 is. To me, it really is all about choices.

So there you have it. Thanks for the interest and kind words!

I'm excited about the new cases. I'm in for one if the price level of under $5K holds.

Once you get other case sizes available this could be the very catalyst to help drive down the costs of 911 engine builds. More case availability means more builds. More volume on associated parts will, hopefully, bring down prices somewhat.
Mueller
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 14 2017, 11:21 AM) *

Very cool!

At that level, sand casting is really as much art and experience as science. HIP post processing is very nice as well.

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:59 PM) *

Extremely impressive, well done! I wonder if there would be any repercussions is Porsche found out about this?

Not quite the same because Porsche is known for being pretty vigilant, but I know a guy who reverse engineers current/recent production motorcycle engines including almost all internals built all of the major players using white light scans. They are then translated into Solidworks models for use in parts redesign, etc.. In ~3 years of doing it he hasn't received legal correspondence from any of the manufacturers.

I used to RE semiconductor equipment parts from AMAT and LAM as well as others, the only time we got a letter was for assemblies that had patents, the individual parts we never had problems with (and a few of the assemblies I came up with ways to circumvent the patents, one they used a special adhesive and I designed the parts to be snapped together and it worked perfect and was cheaper)

The key was our own packaging and not trying to pass the parts off as OEM, they had our part number and are just replacement parts.

Back to the 3.6 blocks, you could scale them down and offer 3D printed versions for guys to put on their desk!

Catorse
Mueller, that is an AWESOME idea. I already spent a small fortune to have the case scanned and a solidworks model made, so I could literally send it somewhere and have them made.

Heck, I want one myself!!!!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Aug 14 2017, 01:59 PM) *

Extremely impressive, well done! I wonder if there would be any repercussions if Porsche found out about this?

Nope, they don't care, out of date.
Besides you can buy billet heads, Nickies, JE's, custom cranks, rods...body kits, suspension, rims, countless items.

Now if you put on it a Porsche part number, Porsche symbols or try to pass it off as an OE part then you will have a problem.
mepstein
QUOTE(Catorse @ Aug 14 2017, 06:03 PM) *

Mueller, that is an AWESOME idea. I already spent a small fortune to have the case scanned and a solidworks model made, so I could literally send it somewhere and have them made.

You might make more on the models than the real thing. biggrin.gif
Catorse
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 14 2017, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Catorse @ Aug 14 2017, 06:03 PM) *

You might make more on the models than the real thing. biggrin.gif

I dunno, my phone is positively exploding these days. Everyone who builds porsche engines is all over this thing. I hesitate to quote quantity numbers right now, but as soon as I take orders on these there will be a metric shit ton, approx that is sunglasses.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Catorse @ Aug 14 2017, 03:03 PM) *

Feel free to send me an STL if want... I have no problem signing an NDA.
Catorse
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 14 2017, 04:54 PM) *

Can't do that just now. I had some big competition on this, and I was the first out of a supposed group of people to make a flat 6 case. That STL is so proprietary with all the mods we made and draft we added that it's like the Colonel's secret recipe. Literally no one besides the machinist and tool maker have it. It's beyond NDA secrecy, more on the order of find you and kill you secrecy LOL ar15.gif

But I will whip one up soon that's dumbed down and we can use to 3d print them. Do you have this capability?
Mueller
QUOTE(Catorse @ Aug 14 2017, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 14 2017, 04:54 PM) *

Can't do that just now. I had some big competition on this, and I was the first out of a supposed group of people to make a flat 6 case. That STL is so proprietary with all the mods we made and draft we added that it's like the Colonel's secret recipe. Literally no one besides the machinist and tool maker have it. It's beyond NDA secrecy, more on the order of find you and kill you secrecy LOL ar15.gif

But I will whip one up soon that's dumbed down and we can use to 3d print them. Do you have this capability?

I totally understand, stripped down is perfect. Can even change some dimensions or make it only the exterior features with no internal parts (like shell)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lkarIRy1jI

While not the best quality parts above, I am getting the quality better with each use. (parts in blue made with PLA) A small model would also be neat to make a small billet version with my CNC mill with a small ballnose endmill.
Catorse
Sweet, i love it. Remind me if I forget.
Mueller
So with 914's about to get popular due to being on Leno's garage, what is the status of these 3.6 blocks? smile.gif MDB2.gif
falcor75
Check the rennlist thread in Marks first post, its continously updated.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 28 2017, 04:28 AM) *

Check the rennlist thread in Marks first post, its continously updated.

agree.gif

He last said the January date has been pushed back, in a nutshell due to figuring out the complicated machining on the cases.
GeorgeRud
It’s wonderful to see someone doing this (and it does sound like a labor of love). It seems to me that Porsche should have done this themselves many years ago. Aluminum replacement blocks are a great addition to the aircooled Porsche community.
Dr Evil
Man, if I had another lifetime I would want to be Catorse wink.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 29 2017, 02:46 PM) *

Man, if I had another lifetime I would want to be Catorse wink.gif smiley_notworthy.gif

I’m sure it will pay off for him but I bet it’s a ton of time and money to get there.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 29 2017, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 29 2017, 02:46 PM) *

I’m sure it will pay off for him but I bet it’s a ton of time and money to get there.

I see the value in it, like we all do, because we are those people. I wanted to be a machinist....maybe when I retire ( I will likely die on my way home on my last day of work from old age av-943.gif)
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 13 2017, 09:21 AM) *

He plans to do 2.0 & 2.7's in aluminum next. It's great to have options.

In addition, he should do a 3.6 case, with bearings and spigots that will accomodate the 2.0 - 2.7 cylinders and cranks. Racers can build their hotrod small bore motors with all of the 3.6 refinements.

jd74914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 1 2017, 10:57 AM) *

In addition, he should do a 3.6 case, with bearings and spigots that will accomodate the 2.0 - 2.7 cylinders and cranks. Racers can build their hotrod small bore motors with all of the 3.6 refinements.

I think that would be a very interesting case...I'm curious as to the final price of this case too.

It's not surprised they're behind schedule since they haven't produced a case before. Maybe I'm biased from seeing lots of really complicated aircraft engine parts (esp. cast ones) in both design and manufacturing stages, but case machining seems relatively simple for an experienced shop with good fixture development. All of the really critical points are on 2 planes so the big thing is establishing good datums.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.