Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clean up wiring ailse 6. What are these relays?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drem914
I was going to go in and replace my headlights and front turn signals lights with the 914rubber LED set up and Spokes turn signal boards, but ran into some wiring and relays that don't make any sense.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Before I got started I checked the existing operation and found everything works except for the driver's side high beam does not come on. Next I went and started pulling the headlamp covers off, but before I could I noticed these relays connect to the headlamp harness. Anyone know what this might be?
Secondly, you can see by the harness pictures where they had spliced into the wires.
passenger side light Click to view attachment
driver's side light Click to view attachment
Is this part of an alarm connection to the turn signal lighting? (I had an alarm system installed way back in '85 when I used to park my car outside in an apartment complex.)
If so, how do I get the wiring back to normal?
drem914
Where would I find a wiring diagram for the wiring harnesses? Is there a download or do I have to search out an old hard copy somewhere?
worn
I am going to say you have an intermittent wiper function. The stock intermittent relay works as a single relay, changing a switch from ground to no contact into a six second delay between wipes.

The more readily available vw relay requires a stalk switch signal that goes from ground to 12 v. To get that, you need an intermediary relay. I am going by the position of the relays, not the wiring. How close did I get?
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 13 2017, 05:53 PM) *

I am going to say you have an intermittent wiper function. The stock intermittent relay works as a single relay, changing a switch from ground to no contact into a six second delay between wipes.

The more readily available vw relay requires a stalk switch signal that goes from ground to 12 v. To get that, you need an intermediary relay. I am going by the position of the relays, not the wiring. How close did I get?

Never mind. I see the wiper relay behind the strut. Clearly aftermarket stuff.
SirAndy
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 13 2017, 06:55 PM) *
Never mind ... Clearly aftermarket stuff.

agree.gif
All that is aftermarket so who knows.

Full color wiring diagrams can be downloaded from Pelican Parts.
bye1.gif
drem914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 13 2017, 07:15 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 13 2017, 06:55 PM) *
Never mind ... Clearly aftermarket stuff.

agree.gif
All that is aftermarket so who knows.

Full color wiring diagrams can be downloaded from Pelican Parts.
bye1.gif

Andy thanks for the wiring diagram info. Ill start by seeing if there is any power to the relays or if they are dead anyway. Ss yo can see there is fuse holder near the driver light that is broken and disconnected while everything is still working. I am still thinking this is for the aftermarket alarm from years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.