Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 911 sway bar mounting location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
So I know I will have a bunch of folks saying to go with the through body sway bar up front but I prefer not to. I have a very nice powdercoated 74 911 front sway bar and would like to weld the brackets to my 914 suspension arms. Does anyone have exact dimensions so I can get them set perfect before I powder coat?
GeorgeRud
I could perhaps get you some measurements off my Targa on Friday if I can get it up on the rack once it's free. Let me know if you couldn't get one sooner. Did you also post on the 911 Pelican Parts forum? Someone may have photos there.
mb911
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 14 2017, 05:22 PM) *

I could perhaps get you some measurements off my Targa on Friday if I can get it up on the rack once it's free. Let me know if you couldn't get one sooner. Did you also post on the 911 Pelican Parts forum? Someone may have photos there.

Unfortunately George yours would not be the same at least I don't believe it will be? Click to view attachment

Let me know if I am mistaken
GeorgeRud
The 914s are through the body, but I think the 911 is the later underbody style (it's an '84 model 911). Check you email for a photo that may help you position the mounts.
gms
Ben the dimension for the front suspension are the same (914 & 911) up until 1989.
are you using and aluminum crossmember?

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(gms @ Aug 16 2017, 07:21 AM) *

Ben the dimension for the front suspension are the same (914 & 911) up until 1989.
are you using and aluminum crossmember?

Click to view attachment

Yes I have an aluminum crossmember already restored and waiting. I am planning to use the 914 a arms as I already have them and don't have 911 ones and then new t bars for 914 spline.. Do you think that is a sound plan.

Please note this will be 100% street driven car so thats why I felt should work well.
914Sixer
Your plan is sound and will work once you get the bar tabs swapped out. Make sure you have the front bar straps.
porschetub
Change for the correct support mount for the alloy beam and weld on mounting tabs on to the A arms should be fine.
I note Porsche sells the support piece/swaybar mount new for $123 each,hopefully you can find some used ones cheaper ,good luck
funk
please see aase sales they have the crossmember supports for 50 bucks a pair!!
mb911
QUOTE(funk @ Aug 16 2017, 07:23 PM) *

please see aase sales they have the crossmember supports for 50 bucks a pair!!

I actually have the mounts well 1 of them and I think jmill has the other one in a box somewhere. If he doesn't i will either make one or buy the ones mentioned above for $50.
Eric_Shea
(through body)

I know... I'm a big help! biggrin.gif
larryM
replied to this duplicate post you put on Pelican - with pics

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...tml#post9707454

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:40 PM) *

So I know I will have a bunch of folks saying to go with the through body sway bar up front but I prefer not to. I have a very nice powdercoated 74 911 front sway bar and would like to weld the brackets to my 914 suspension arms. Does anyone have exact dimensions so I can get them set perfect before I powder coat?

mb911
QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 20 2017, 07:41 PM) *

replied to this duplicate post you put on Pelican - with pics

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...tml#post9707454

QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:40 PM) *

Thanks that is helpful..
Tdskip
Yes, yes, i know this post is from 2017.

@mb911 - did you get this installed like this? Happy with it?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jul 22 2019, 02:10 PM) *

Yes, yes, i know this post is from 2017.

@mb911 - did you get this installed like this? Happy with it?

I sent Ben some 911 A arms and new torsion bars so I'm pretty sure he is using them. He wants the under the car bar. confused24.gif screwy.gif lol-2.gif
mb911
Yup installed in the car.. I did this on my last car as well.. Works well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.